What are the major things that increase the power output of the new Honda turbos?

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well, being a technical person who built tons of nitro RC cars, I'm very curious how those engines works, and the extra knowledge may help me with future tunings, or even tuning my car myself

1) PSI? obviously more turbo pressure is supposedly able to increase power output, straightforward. But, this may not be 100% the case of there are other limiting factors, like exhaust.

2) Bigger Turbo. Another straightforward upgrade. But what's the downside? more turbo lag? faster heat soaking? My understanding is that too big a turbo can be slow to kick in, resulting uneven power delivery throughout the power band. Don't know how much tuning can solve this.

3) FP, DP. Part of the exhaust system, definitely on top of the list. Turbo is all about intake and outflow.

4) CAI, and HVI. I know lots people just get intakes for the sounds, but I think with good tuning, a proper intake can contribute a lot to power increase.

5) Intercooler? sure it help with maintaining optimal power output on longer drives, but I don't think this is a direct one. I feel It has to couple with a few other bolt ons to show it's benefits

6) Weight Reduction. Technically not increasing horsepower, But, you definitely would feel more powerful. Let's say for the civics, -8 kg = 1 extra horsepower felt. If somehow you manage to take out 200kg from the R, That's about 25 extra horsepower equivalent of performance, with better cornering and everything. you will feel it definitely.

I didn't mention fuel because most of us won't bother with those hard to obtain race fuels.

Add in what else you think belong to the list, and feel free to correct, if you are very sure.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
1) PSI
2) Bigger Turbo
3) FP, DP
4) CAI, and HVI
5) Intercooler
6) Weight Reduction

Add in what else you think belong to the list, and feel free to correct, if you are very sure.
Nice list, but all those items and factors take a huge back seat to just getting an ecu tune which changes not just boost but timing, fueling and more.

Real, usable power on our turbos starts with a tune. Everything else you mentioned is a "helper mod".

Last edited:

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Nice list, but all those items and factors take a huge back seat to just getting an ecu tune which changes not just boost but timing, fueling and more.

Real, usable power on our turbos starts with a tune. Everything else you mentioned is a "helper mod".
Not to mention gone are the days of old of slapping a turbo, cranking the boost and changing timing to be more aggressive.

The real beauty of power is from the OEMS, not the aftermarket. OEMs are pulling out all the stops here on ICE engines, including the fuel atomization in the chamber from the DI, the air charge tumbling as it hits the cylinder at the right moment to dish in the piston due to the intake ramp design cast into the head, the duration of the valve lift at a certain time on the piston stroke, coupled with turbos, fuel pressure, EGR, etc. All while Balancing and meeting incredibly strict emissions requirements.

You need to get into the meat of the modern ICE engine before seeing how and why the aftermarket solutions work well (or don't like some CAI do on these cars). The L15B is a way different animal compared to the K20Z's, and the D, R, and B series economy engines.

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag

hahaha, I probably should have started with a 0) Tuner... but somehow I instinctively assumed a "tuner" as prerequisite to the list.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Not to mention gone are the days of old of slapping a turbo, cranking the boost and changing timing to be more aggressive.

The real beauty of power is from the OEMS, not the aftermarket. OEMs are pulling out all the stops here on ICE engines, including the fuel atomization in the chamber from the DI, the air charge tumbling as it hits the cylinder at the right moment to dish in the piston due to the intake ramp design cast into the head, the duration of the valve lift at a certain time on the piston stroke, coupled with turbos, fuel pressure, EGR, etc. All while Balancing and meeting incredibly strict emissions requirements.

You need to get into the meat of the modern ICE engine before seeing how and why the aftermarket solutions work well (or don't like some CAI do on these cars). The L15B is a way different animal compared to the K20Z's, and the D, R, and B series economy engines.
That's one of the reasons I'm not in a hurry (yet) to mod. I'm seeing what Honda did here, and I like it. So I'm not so much in a hurry for example to dump that Honda intake and attach some crude thick pipe instead. People focus on what they are gaining, but often are unaware of all the finer points of the OEM design they may be losing.
The coordination of the intake/exhaust valve timing with the ignition timing and other factors is a good example too. You can choose to damn it all and instead pick the fuel and ignition timing to just make it scream and get some additional horses. Which is fun too, I may add.
Sponsored