Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
Well how much more proof do we need?
:catfight::popcorn:
Considering the dyno graph he posted looks like your avatar in quality, maybe a bit more proof. Off throttle tip in is slightly more rich in one dyno run with a sniffer. I don't think it's as big of a deal that he's making it out to be.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BOV == bad.

Honda Civic 10th gen "Vent To Atmosphere" Type Blow Offs {filename}

This is what it should look like (stock).
Honda Civic 10th gen "Vent To Atmosphere" Type Blow Offs 18489830_10211186322591528_5468963496047266182_o
Considering the dyno graph he posted looks like your avatar in quality, maybe a bit more proof. Off throttle tip in is slightly more rich in one dyno run with a sniffer. I don't think it's as big of a deal that he's making it out to be.
What is unclear here? He drew the arrows to make it very apparent what you are looking at. If you dont want to believe datalogs then there is never going to be enough proof for you. Did the AFR dip to 8.57:1 or not? and do you consider that a rich condition?

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
What is unclear here? He drew the arrows to make it very apparent what you are looking at. If you dont want to believe datalogs then there is never going to be enough proof for you. Did the AFR dip to 8.57:1 or not? and do you consider that a rich condition?
Yes, a rich condition for a 1/4 of a second. This is on a unknown corrected graph. Vit is a great tuner, but he's also one to take low blows to prove a point. He's been around for quite a while and I remember quite a few discussions from back in the SRTforums days. He wants to attack this company and the product and even if it was harmless (which it is even though its useless).

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, a rich condition for a 1/4 of a second. This is on a unknown corrected graph. Vit is a great tuner, but he's also one to take low blows to prove a point. He's been around for quite a while and I remember quite a few discussions from back in the SRTforums days. He wants to attack this company and the product and even if it was harmless (which it is even though its useless).
Do you give boomba crap though for lying or misrepresenting what its selling. They say it doesnt run rich and then post a video of a car running on dyno at a constant speed for its backup. Of course it wont run rich at a constant speed. Who is playing with the truth?

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
Do you give boomba crap though for lying or misrepresenting what its selling. They say it doesnt run rich and then post a video of a car running on dyno at a constant speed for its backup. Of course it wont run rich at a constant speed. Who is playing with the truth?
An intake on a unturned car will will throw off a/f. Many things will. I said it's a unless part but it will not harm the car and it's obvious it's not throwing CEL's like they accused or wed see them on here. It's a ricer part, let them sell it. It's not hurting anyone or anything.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An intake on a unturned car will will throw off a/f. Many things will. I said it's a unless part but it will not harm the car and it's obvious it's not throwing CEL's like they accused or wed see them on here. It's a ricer part, let them sell it. It's not hurting anyone or anything.
I bet that log comes from a car he is tuning and would have taken into account an intake. Ive seen CELs on the facebook page as well as other complaints about gas mileage and such. Sure they are are anecdotal but they are out there. Im betting after thousands of shifts in a MT going rich, it will have an affect. Anyhow, They can sell all the ricer parts they like, they dont have to lie about it. They brought up it wouldnt run rich, all they had to do was sell the part.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
can't tune for a bov

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
can't tune for a bov
I wasn't saying you can on this car, I was saying many people throw intakes on cars that throw off the A/F and they run perfectly fine for the life of the car. And yes, in some cars with map and a maf sensor you can disable the maf and run a vent to atmosphere bov.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe most of you are just in denial that the 'BOV is not good for your motor' and you're grasping for straws looking for any shred of info to justify your purchase. It's going to take them failing in large numbers and everyone faced with buying $$$ customer pay replacements before people realize that hey, modding the bpv was not the best idea.
lol I couldn't resist sorry :D

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I posted no dyno graphs. I posted CLEAR and CONCISE information about how the ECU & engine are running from a high resolution datalog recorded from the ECU. If you don't comprehend that you're just insulting everyone in this discussion by posting your "two cents".

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I'm pretty sure I can find the SRT and the horse blurb for you. I made no attacks, named no names. This was a simple educational post on what happens when you VENT already METERED air that the ECU is *expecting* to see. With concrete evidence. These principals apply to any MAF based car that meters air pre-turbo/pre-bov.

From what I gather, your stance is it is quite acceptable to vent metered air for the rice effect. That's fine with me -- your car, not my problem. It does not, however, invalidate FACTS on what the ECU is expecting and how the engine runs.

Joke's on you -- the intakes for this car are virtually stock size around the MAF and very little from intake to intake. The small variance there is this ECU can compensate for with the adaptive logic and the car runs OK to a point -- tuning the intake does smooth things out and prevents you have to depend on the ECU to "figure it out".

The issue, once again, is transients. The ECU isn't designed to throw codes for transients -- but long term issues. In this case, you'd have to develop a massive long term trim over a given period of time (quite high --> like 30% or more) before you get a rich/lean code. That's just how the ECU fault system for this works -- it doesn't change the fact transients are still wildly affected.

I wasn't saying you can on this car, I was saying many people throw intakes on cars that throw off the A/F and they run perfectly fine for the life of the car. And yes, in some cars with map and a maf sensor you can disable the maf and run a vent to atmosphere bov.
The intake on the car in question was tuned a mean of about 0-2%, with a nominal trim of +/-5-6%, with some outliers (as expected on any car, especially MAF).

Here's what it looks like with the stock valve.
Honda Civic 10th gen "Vent To Atmosphere" Type Blow Offs better

And then here's what it looks like with the BOV installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen "Vent To Atmosphere" Type Blow Offs bov

Love those fun -20% or lower fuel trims, working that ECU real well to compensate for a useless part that offers arguably little improvement with real side effects.

SAME CAR. Only the BPV was changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.