PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So I’ve seen some videos and posts of people getting their stock 10th gens on Dynos and getting better numbers than Honda is rating it. They’re making like 198whp and 212tq. Do we know for certain our cars are making more than 205hp? Is it common for Manufacturers to underrate cars?
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
So I’ve seen some videos and posts of people getting their stock 10th gens on Dynos and getting better numbers than Honda is rating it. They’re making like 198whp and 212tq. Do we know for certain our cars are making more than 205hp? Is it common for Manufacturers to underrate cars?
Definitely common for manufacturers to do this and it certainly seems like Honda did so w/ the Si. Exedy even said that the torque that Honda spec'd for the clutch wasn't what the car was putting out, which is why our clutches are failing w/ just a stage 1 tune.

maxlt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah this is fairly common practice when a manufacturer doesn't want to encroach into the territory of a more premium product, in this case the CTR. Chevy used to do it with Camaros as well, not sure if they still do.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah this is fairly common practice when a manufacturer doesn't want to encroach into the territory of a more premium product, in this case the CTR. Chevy used to do it with Camaros as well, not sure if they still do.
Chevy might not anymore, because I rented a 2019 V6 Camro rated at 335hp/284tq, 3448lbs, and it felt pretty accurate by butt dyno standards lol. And there's plenty of gap between the V8's 455hp/455tq numbers.

I can see why Honda did it for the Si vs Type R. If Honda advertised 220hp/240tq numbers for a $25k Si, it might steer ppl away from spending $35k+ on an R

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It all depends on the Dyno being used, ambient temp and humidity conditions etc. TSP rates the 2017 Civic Si factory on 93 Octane 182whp/206tq and other Dynos like Churches would be higher numbers. Maybe if they did it on a Wednesday morning it would have been 189whp/210tq. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would just enjoy what you "feel" and not overthink it

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chevy might not anymore, because I rented a 2019 V6 Camro rated at 335hp/284tq, 3448lbs, and it felt pretty accurate by butt dyno standards lol. And there's plenty of gap between the V8's 455hp/455tq numbers.

I can see why Honda did it for the Si vs Type R. If Honda advertised 220hp/240tq numbers for a $25k Si, it might steer ppl away from spending $35k+ on an R
At the time I was shopping for a Civic I picked the Si over the Civic Sports hatch because 1) they didn't have a MT available in that model at the dealership and 2) the 205 hp rating. What steered me away from the Type R was 1) the over-styling and 2) the $35K plus price tag LOL. I think most people buy the Civic Si because it comes in a Sedan and Coupe and has a MT, and most people don't buy the Type R because of the styling. Even if they were closely priced I think the Type R market would still be a niche market

Last edited:

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Don’t think it’s overrated. Feels like a 15 second car which falls inline with advertised numbers from factory. Dynos are calibrated differently and can often skew numbers. For example, I went to a dyno day somewhere local in SoFlo, my stock mini made 210 whp when it’s 170 from factory. Stock 8th gen Si made 220 whp. That performance shop most likely misled so many people thinking they are making more power from their “tuner” compared to others.

Dynos are best used as a measurement to see changes. I wish more people would understand that instead of seeing one dyno number and think it’s true.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Definitely common for manufacturers to do this and it certainly seems like Honda did so w/ the Si. Exedy even said that the torque that Honda spec'd for the clutch wasn't what the car was putting out, which is why our clutches are failing w/ just a stage 1 tune.
Then why didn’t they make a change and start putting a stronger clutch in the new ones?

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Then why didn’t they make a change and start putting a stronger clutch in the new ones?
Because the stock clutch works perfectly on a factory car. Increasing the price of an Si in order to add an overkill clutch would not be feasible for the majority of Si owners as most do not modify their car.
If someone wants to modify their car, then modify it and add a clutch. There are many owners who complain that Honda didn’t include a clutch that can handle numbers that are nowhere near factory levels.

Common complaints of Si owners:
1) Clutch
2) Power
3) Intercooler
4) Tires

If they addressed those complaints, the price of the Si will be substantially higher. How much are people paying for those alone? $800+ for an intercooler, $1000 for clutch, much more with other bolt-ons. Next thing you know, your in Type R price territory with how much you already invested on a car with questionable reliable and warranty coverage.

Last edited:

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
If they addressed those complaints, the price of the Si will be substantially higher. How much are people paying for those alone? $800+ for an intercooler, $1000 for clutch, much more with other bolt-ons. Next thing you know, your in Type R price territory with how much you already invested on a car with questionable reliable and warranty coverage.
What does the MSRP of aftermarket parts have to with the cost OEM sourced parts?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What does the MSRP of aftermarket parts have to with the cost OEM sourced parts?
What he is saying is that even with OEM "upgraded" sourced parts, it would increase the price of the car, because you also have to factor in the engineering. Here is my take. The current clutch, intercooler, brakes etc are completely adequate with a factory stock Civic Si if you drive it normally as Honda intended. Let's talk about the clutch for a second. I believe if you drive this car normally with the occasional spirited driving, (boost under 23 PSI), the stock clutch will last you a long time. If Honda were to add a stage 1 clutch with a SMF, not only would it increase the price of the car and the cost of parts, but most drivers would hate it. They would hate the chatter, they would hate the feel. They would hate that they have to pay $500 more for the car. And it would be unnecessary for 99 percent of Civic Si drivers in my opinion.

What @fenix-silver said is 100 percent correct, they didn't want to spend additional money on R&D. I don't know if he will agree with me on this next statement, but I 100 percent agree that for what the Civic Si was designed for, to be an inexpensive fun economy car with sportiness added in, it's totally adequate, the only thing I wish they did was spend a little bit more on the build quality (panel gaps, rattles, road dampening). Other than that, I really can't complain, it's one of the cheapest cars I ever bought new that offered so much

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
What he is saying is that even with OEM "upgraded" sourced parts, it would increase the price of the car, because you also have to factor in the engineering. Here is my take. The current clutch, intercooler, brakes etc are completely adequate with a factory stock Civic Si if you drive it normally as Honda intended. Let's talk about the clutch for a second. I believe if you drive this car normally with the occasional spirited driving, (boost under 23 PSI), the stock clutch will last you a long time. If Honda were to add a stage 1 clutch with a SMF, not only would it increase the price of the car and the cost of parts, but most drivers would hate it. They would hate the chatter, they would hate the feel. They would hate that they have to pay $500 more for the car. And it would be unnecessary for 99 percent of Civic Si drivers in my opinion.

What @fenix-silver said is 100 percent correct, they didn't want to spend additional money on R&D. I don't know if he will agree with me on this next statement, but I 100 percent agree that for what the Civic Si was designed for, to be an inexpensive fun economy car with sportiness added in, it's totally adequate, the only thing I wish they did was spend a little bit more on the build quality (panel gaps, rattles, road dampening). Other than that, I really can't complain, it's one of the cheapest cars I ever bought new that offered so much
Agreed, although I think Exedy could have built an OEM clutch that is pretty much just as driveable as the one we got. We'll leave the DMF vs SMF piece out of this since that's a different discussion and assume that for the average driver, a DMF is better. From the conversations I've seen with them, their stage 1 clutch is what we should have received from the factory. And here's what Exedy's acct executive said in regards to Honda under spec'ing (taken from one of the original posts about Exedy's staged clutches):

Honda Civic 10th gen Underrated Stock Si Numbers? 1590601598554

I also agree that the stock clutch is probably perfectly fine on the OEM tune, but it always makes me wonder if Honda de-tuned things once they realized the stock clutch couldn't hold the torque the engine is capable of. The reason I say that is due to the artificial boost ramp. If you get rid of that w/ a tune and still run near-stock boost, there's still a decent chance of getting slip. Maybe it was done to protect the rods too, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of people bending rods w/ ~20 PSI and the boost ramp removed.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed, although I think Exedy could have built an OEM clutch that is pretty much just as driveable as the one we got. We'll leave the DMF vs SMF piece out of this since that's a different discussion and assume that for the average driver, a DMF is better. From the conversations I've seen with them, their stage 1 clutch is what we should have received from the factory. And here's what Exedy's acct executive said in regards to Honda under spec'ing (taken from one of the original posts about Exedy's staged clutches):

1590601598554.png

I also agree that the stock clutch is probably perfectly fine on the OEM tune, but it always makes me wonder if Honda de-tuned things once they realized the stock clutch couldn't hold the torque the engine is capable of. The reason I say that is due to the artificial boost ramp. If you get rid of that w/ a tune and still run near-stock boost, there's still a decent chance of getting slip. Maybe it was done to protect the rods too, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of people bending rods w/ ~20 PSI and the boost ramp removed.
They definitely detuned the car, there is no doubt it. Toyota pretty much detunes all their engines. A good example is my IS350, the stock engine produces 306 hp and redlines at 6500 rpm, but you can safely get 455 whp out of this engine. A tune from RR Racing safely changes the redline to 7200 RPM unlocking an additional 20 hp! It's all about keeping costs down, and keeping reliability to the maximum for those 98 or 99 percent of buyers. For those 1 or 2 percent who want to push things, that's what the aftermarket is for!

As far as the Exedy clutch, I can't really speak to this. Most stage 1 and stage 2 clutches I have driven are pretty horrible, meaning they don't make the driving experience better until you get used to them. And for daily driving they can tire out your leg, make the shifting experience not so pleasant etc

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
They definitely detuned the car, there is no doubt it. Toyota pretty much detunes all their engines. A good example is my IS350, the stock engine produces 306 hp and redlines at 6500 rpm, but you can safely get 455 whp out of this engine. A tune from RR Racing safely changes the redline to 7200 RPM unlocking an additional 20 hp! It's all about keeping costs down, and keeping reliability to the maximum for those 98 or 99 percent of buyers. For those 1 or 2 percent who want to push things, that's what the aftermarket is for!

As far as the Exedy clutch, I can't really speak to this. Most stage 1 and stage 2 clutches I have driven are pretty horrible, meaning they don't make the driving experience better until you get used to them. And for daily driving they can tire out your leg, make the shifting experience not so pleasant etc
Every manufacturer pretty much does this like you said, but I guess I was more so referring to the fact that they really restricted the onset of boost. Engineers: "hey, we have this great little engine that we can get tons of power out of reliably and with great gas mileage" bean counters: "yeah, but you need to restrict the onset of torque delivery because we don't want to pay $50 more for a clutch"
Sponsored