To Flash or not to Flash my Stock Type R?

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW Honda Civic Type R
Hey... thinking of getting a Hondata Flashpro... can anyone advise if the car should be Flashed or not, as I may keep it stick for a while, but wouldn’t mind a little bit more HP... any advise would be helpful... thanks!
Sponsored

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Hey... thinking of getting a Hondata Flashpro... can anyone advise if the car should be Flashed or not, as I may keep it stick for a while, but wouldn’t mind a little bit more HP... any advise would be helpful... thanks!
How long have you had it

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That entirely depends on whether or not you want more power or driveability out of your Type R. If so, tuning is necessary to achieve this goal as adding parts does little to nothing on its own. Depending on what tuning platform you choose, you can get entirely new features like full throttle shifting.

Adding a moderate amount of power (50-100lbft) to an FK8 is relatively safe and very affordable, although some parts such as your clutch will still wear faster. Since the FK8's release, there have been very few K20C1 engine failures that didn't involve a methanol system failing, antilag being heavily abused, or the engine seeing very heavy track duty. The basemaps on both platforms have proven to be very reliable and tuners have figured out at this point how to get the most out of an FK8 without making it unreliable. There are daily driven 550-lbft Type Rs nowadays.

However, you should be aware that jailbreaking and tuning your FK8 partly voids your powertrain warranty. If something does happen you may be on your own if the dealership determines your tune was responsible (or could have been responsible) for a part's failure. The ECU shows how many miles it has been since a flash and this cannot be hidden or changed. The rumor that dealers mark down whether or not you are tuned after any service visit is not true, but if you try to get an engine replaced they will probably check the ECU. A new engine is not cheap.
Quoting the FK8 Wiki

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I've had my car almost a year and still can't find a reason to modify it. Just feels great stock - maybe I'm just getting old lol.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've had my car almost a year and still can't find a reason to modify it. Just feels great stock - maybe I'm just getting old lol.
Yeah, I was stock for a while too. Fantastic car from factory.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Still stock a little over 2 years later. I'm sure a tune would add a nice HP bump, but the car is fun for me as is.
I mostly drive around town like it's a normal sedan, so on the occasion when I get on it, it always feels plenty fast.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Also have a 2019. Threw on a ktuner basemap the other day after a year of ownership and 3,200 miles. It’s laughable at how much of a difference it makes going back to the stock map now. 100% worth it.

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also have a 2019. Threw on a ktuner basemap the other day after a year of ownership and 3,200 miles. It’s laughable at how much of a difference it makes going back to the stock map now. 100% worth it.
Makes that much of a difference then?

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Makes that much of a difference then?
It is a significant difference in not only power but overall drivability and responsiveness, even with just a basemap.

There's no going back on unlocking the ECU, but if you decide you don't want to run Hondata or KTuner they pretty much hold their full value or near it forever and sell on these forums within hours.

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a significant difference in not only power but overall drivability and responsiveness, even with just a basemap.

There's no going back on unlocking the ECU, but if you decide you don't want to run Hondata or KTuner they pretty much hold their full value or near it forever and sell on these forums within hours.
Yes I’ve noticed that... Im trying to get my hands on one

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes I’ve noticed that... Im trying to get my hands on one
I'd recommend a Hondata, but KTuners are probably easier to get a hold of and are more affordable. Apparently new Hondata units should be shipping out in the next couple of weeks.
Sponsored