Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My life is complicated enough as it is without adding mods to my warrantied car. Also I like trading in a mint stock car-it's worth more.
I bought my 2009 Z used with 10,000 miles and the original tires....talk about stock vs. modded. If it had even one "race" mod I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 ft pole.. Had it nearly 10 years and only changed the oil. When I traded it in bone stock the kids at the stealer were lined up to buy it lol.
I enjoy watching others mod and push the limits but I barely have time to wash/detail it and change the oil these days. Life gets busy.
Sponsored

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
My approach to my type r was that I want to have fun with it while everything is new and products are flooding the markets as they compete with one another.
So I ended up getting just about everything available with stock internals.
Hondata won’t work with your warranty but it’s proven to be safe when not messed with, so that’s your own roll of dice.
By the time you are ready to mod or out of warranty your whole life may change and now need to get a different car missing the entire opportunity that was in tour lap for the past couple years.

OP
OP
barbapapa

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
Love hearing everyone's thoughts...

all I've done thus far is ceramic tint, the volk wheels with PS4 tires and K&N filter. I've always loved the tuner scene, especially engine stuff and I am enticed to say F it on the warranty and do hondata very soon. I also understand @Fountainhead 's position as it is desirable to leave your car as stock as possible for high resale. Seems like this car will be fine in the resale market no matter what - even if the bubble bursts on the > 40k used market soon. The combination of wild looks, great engine and handling, the pure 6 speed manual, I think this car will do very well in the future in regards to resale.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i understand not wanting to do irreversible mods as to save resale value but some parts are so easy to put back to stock when you sell the car, not wanting to mod cause of resale value doesn't make much sense.

also 5 year 60k is a LONG time to wait before wanting to touch the car. At that point, you may be looking at another car or your life priorities might be different than what it is now.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick word about tuning. I don't own an R (have a tuned 1.5T) but I do run our community's tuning experience/reliability thread. We don't have a ton of R's (around 60, always looking for more) but every last one of them has been issue free.

If you're considering a power mod, a tune is the king. Best bang for the buck, by far. And I get the warranty concerns, but it's about risk/reward. I believe the risk is fairly minimal and the reward is huge.

As far as resale, I've always modded my cars and then return them to stock when I trade. No issues at all. Like boosted180sx said, 5 years is a long time to wait to really enjoy your car and truly make it your own.

Last edited:

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tuner is probably the best mod. The engine is more than capable of doing what the ots tunes ask of it. As for intakes, I really enjoy the prl hvi. The sound is great, install was like an hour and a half for my first time. The eventuri looks cool but that's a spicy meatball lol

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
The tuner is probably the best mod. The engine is more than capable of doing what the ots tunes ask of it. As for intakes, I really enjoy the prl hvi. The sound is great, install was like an hour and a half for my first time. The eventuri looks cool but that's a spicy meatball lol
It’s Night and Day

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
For myself I would love to do engine ecu mods but being in Cali I don’t want to deal w getting flagged. Getting too old to remove all mods every other year just to pass visual. Let alone now will be checking Ecu for modified program. Now my mods are focused on eye candy and aesthetics. ?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
For myself I would love to do engine ecu mods but being in Cali I don’t want to deal w getting flagged. Getting too old to remove all mods every other year just to pass visual. Let alone now will be checking Ecu for modified program. Now my mods are focused on eye candy and aesthetics. ?
California is becoming such a Snowflake state. It all began with these stupid ticky-tacky laws to people being too sensitive about stupid things.

I recently saw a post where some guy was complaining about someone's lawn being more greener than his neighbors and contemplating whether he should be telling the city about it because he thinks that person is wasting water in the middle of a drought. No city ordinances exist about water conservation so go figure. ??‍♂

California- where $hit is too expensive, someone's getting richer and you do get a small piece of the pie in the form of overpriced housing that doesn't even look like it's true value; where they'll tax everything you own and strip you clean of your undies.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Wasn't there something about a year ago (or 2) about a list of dealerships willing to work on cars with retuned mods as long as it (the tuning) was done at their service department? You'll loose Honda's set of warranties, but you can buy dealership specific warranties for the work. I just wouldn't know how much of an "expert" those dealership tuners are... other than Dilberts who maybe following a PDF instruction.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wasn't there something about a year ago (or 2) about a list of dealerships willing to work on cars with retuned mods as long as it (the tuning) was done at their service department? You'll loose Honda's set of warranties, but you can buy dealership specific warranties for the work. I just wouldn't know how much of an "expert" those dealership tuners are... other than Dilberts who maybe following a PDF instruction.
I've actually recently read of dealerships who will perform warranty work on a tuned car.... Where the owner had no prior visits AT ALL. They took the car from dealer to dealer until one of them wanted the warranty work I guess. The engine was blown too, wasn't a small repair. They ended up being covered in full by the warranty. Unfortunately, I can't recall the thread I read this in or where it was :(

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I've actually recently read of dealerships who will perform warranty work on a tuned car.... Where the owner had no prior visits AT ALL. They took the car from dealer to dealer until one of them wanted the warranty work I guess. The engine was blown too, wasn't a small repair. They ended up being covered in full by the warranty. Unfortunately, I can't recall the thread I read this in or where it was :(
yikes... that's a no for me then, fam. Sounds like they didn't hire expert tuners, but I do get it. It's probably beyond the salary GMs want to pay for service clerk positions

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #38346
Country flag
also 5 year 60k is a LONG time to wait before wanting to touch the car. At that point, you may be looking at another car or your life priorities might be different than what it is now.
Got me thinking... I have 6 years 92k left o_O... maybe yall are right.. bug has bit me pretty good as of late (Acuity Shifter, 27Won shift knob, Perrin RMM inserts, Eibach RSB, Martelius CBE).. Why not start looking into HondaTuner and KData?

It’s Night and Day
View attachment 312529

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
tbh, it all depends on who you know at Honda. in my case, the master tech/ foreman is the only person to work on my car.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yikes... that's a no for me then, fam. Sounds like they didn't hire expert tuners, but I do get it. It's probably beyond the salary GMs want to pay for service clerk positions
Dealership knew they were tuned, person was honest about it. I could be wrong, but I think anyone working on a Type R at the dealer has to be specifically certified. It's definitely more expensive if the dealership does some things wrong (vs say a normal civic) which to your point, unfortunately is a bit too common.
Sponsored