BrandonC98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So according to the label on the driver side door the recommended psi for the front and rear tires is 32, but considering the heat and air expanding what psi should my tires be at? FYI my psi is currently 23
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Cold (the tires at same temperature as the environment, essentially after not being driven for 8+ hours) should be whatever the door sticker recommends. If sticker says 32 then 23 is dangerously low and the TMPS, if calibrated correctly, should be alerting you. Are you sure your guage is measuring correctly?

OP
OP
BrandonC98

BrandonC98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Cold (the tires at same temperature as the environment, essentially after not being driven for 8+ hours) should be whatever the door sticker recommends. If sticker says 32 then 23 is dangerously low and the TMPS, if calibrated correctly, should be alerting you. Are you sure your guage is measuring correctly?
I’ve tried two different gauges, both giving me the same psi. Also, I do get a low tire pressure alert

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be more accurate, TMPS for the Civics uses the ABS sensors to measure any difference in rotations per minute between the 4 tires. If all the tires are at the same pressure, then there'd be no difference in rotations per minute ... thus no warning alert. I don't know what the tire pressure differential must be, in order to trigger a warning.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So according to the label on the driver side door the recommended psi for the front and rear tires is 32, but considering the heat and air expanding what psi should my tires be at? FYI my psi is currently 23
The numbers in your door are jam are what your tires should be inflated to, and measured when *cold*. You’ll see the words “cold air pressure” or something accompanying that number. They account for expansion when giving that recommended pressure.

In terms of fluctuations from external temperature, just be mindful that big temperature swings in weather means you need to be a little more vigilant, but I typically just check my pressures every Sunday morning and only need to add air once a month or two.

Our TPMS systems need to be calibrated whenever you change the tire pressures, so don’t forget to do that so it’s more likely to work correctly in the case that you’d want it to alert you or a leaky tire.

OP
OP
BrandonC98

BrandonC98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
The numbers in your door are jam are what your tires should be inflated to, and measured when *cold*. You’ll see the words “cold air pressure” or something accompanying that number. They account for expansion when giving that recommended pressure.

In terms of fluctuations from external temperature, just be mindful that big temperature swings in weather means you need to be a little more vigilant, but I typically just check my pressures every Sunday morning and only need to add air once a month or two.

Our TPMS systems need to be calibrated whenever you change the tire pressures, so don’t forget to do that so it’s more likely to work correctly in the case that you’d want it to alert you or a leaky tire.
Just aired my tires to 32psi. I’ll check again in the morning

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
To be more accurate, TMPS for the Civics uses the ABS sensors to measure any difference in rotations per minute between the 4 tires. ... differential must be, in order to trigger a warning.
About 4 psi (from 9th info).
The info is also processed to look at frequency & harmonics to detect issues.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Diameters can vary slightly. After recalibrating, the abs module sets a new standard for all 4 wheels until one goes faster (low tire). To do master reset, Recalibrating 3 times 5-10 seconds apart then driving within 30 seconds assuming there are no leaks. System can trip up sometimes.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
You should check tires at least once a month, or more frequently depending on outside ambient air temperature. As mentioned do it in the morning before you start driving.

I've frequently heard a rule of thumb is tire pressure changes about 1 psi for every 10 °F change in temperature.

In the fall when the air temperature starts dropping I usually keep tires at 34psi. That way I don't have to check the tires every day if the temperature drops a lot.

When the weather is warming up I check the tires every few weeks & have to let out some air. Again, a 10°F air temperature change will only change the pressure about 1 psi.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I inflate mine to 44 PSI.

You do big mistake ;

Compromised Safety
There are a variety of issues that can occur if you drive on overinflated tires. Most seriously, overinflated tires are at greater risk for a blowout. A tire blowoutcan cause you to lose control of your vehicle and negatively affect braking distance, endangering yourself and others on the road.

Additionally, many of the safety features on your vehicle, like your anti-lock braking system, are designed to work when tires are filled to the vehicle manufacturer recommendations. Overinflated tires could compromise some of your car’s driver assistance functions.

Tire Damage and Wear
Overinflating your tires can make them more vulnerable to damage. Like an overfilled balloon, tires filled to their maximum capacity are more stiff and inflexible, which makes them more susceptible to damage from potholes, curbs, or debris. Plus, as a driver or passenger, you’ll feel every bump and dip in the road, and that doesn’t make for a pleasant ride.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire pressure inquiry tire-center-wear
Excessive air pressure can also distort the shape of the tire, leading to decreased traction and increased wear and tear down the center of the tire. Depending on the circumstances, repeatedly overinflated tires could wear out more quickly.

A tire bulges in the center of the tread when you overinflate it. The only part of the tire touching the road is a small, skinny patch down the middle. In theory, "this should mean less rolling resistance and increased mileage," notes Popular Mechanics. But in reality? It means center tread wear, an uncomfortable ride, and increased risk for a blowout.

Note that a few PSI over your recommended tire pressure generally won't put you in the danger zone. After all, tire pressure fluctuates with the outside temperature. Your goal is to stay at your car manufacturer’s suggested cold tire pressure.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/tires/what-if-you-overinflate-car-tires/

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
My '18 Si has 33 for the front and 32 for the rear. Is it different for different models? The difference front to back means I get a TPMS alert after rotating so it seems to be able to sense even a 1 psi difference, unless it is just other changes that set off the TPMS.

bluzfanmr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Touring Coupe, '10 Hyundai Tucson
Country flag
My '18 Si has 33 for the front and 32 for the rear. Is it different for different models? The difference front to back means I get a TPMS alert after rotating so it seems to be able to sense even a 1 psi difference, unless it is just other changes that set off the TPMS.
My '19 Touring is the same, 33 for the front and 32 for the rear.

OP
OP
BrandonC98

BrandonC98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Label for my 2018 Ex has 32psi for front and back. So maybe it has something to do with the different trims🤷‍♂️
Sponsored