Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Woah. Sorry to hear about this. Do you have any idea for the reason behind the failure?
I believe it was just a bad PCV valve in combination with driving hard. Blew out all my oil before I had a chance to notice. My maintenance records indicate PCV was stuck open since roughly 53k miles (Last oil change before any issues). High k.con & audible knocking started around 55k miles, then spun a rod bearing around 57k miles. Replaced short lock with fully built custom MAP "Stage 2" L15B7 short block. Issues started up again around 61k mikes (Within 2700 miles), then I spun a thrust bearing (Didn't know til after next event) at 63k miles. Dropped trans & oil pan, thought I fixed it, drove it not even a mile & threw the thrust bearing. Checked the oil pan again & there it was, what was left of it rather. Sent OG block to CSS & got it back, & just waiting for a 73.5mm head gasket to transfer parts over & put it back together. (My records on all this are exact to the day & mile, I just abbreviated & summarized most of it for simplicity's sake)

I of course replaced the PCV valve. I also replaced the turbo with something bigger & funner, & I've been inspecting everything as I've been digging into the engine. Only bearings have been effected so far, cams & everything in the head is just fine. Got a full round of new bearings, fluids, & anything else needing replaced. Contemplating Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams while she's out, but I don't know if I want (/ afford) to mess with tuning right now or shattering third or fourth gear.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDeliSauce

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Some progress being made. Slowly but surely.

The now-old block with the toasted thrust bearing otherwise looks great.
Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2023-07-22 Bad Block

Valvetrain looks good to me. I have to check cylinder 1's intake valves though, cause they were open when I rotated the crankshaft with the timing chain off. Finger's crossed.
Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2023-07-22 Valvetrain

Pulled everything off/out/apart.
Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2023-07-22 Disassembly

Putting everything together again. Cleaned everything off, put the new 73.5mm JE pistons together with the rods, put the crankshaft in & did the FSM song & dance to spec. Rear main seal plate is also on now with a bit more Hondabond than was necessary (I need the little nozzle so bad).
Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2023-07-22 Assembly

Muscled the old block off the stand & the new one with crank onto it. I recommend a hoist or another set of hands.
Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2023-07-23 Block on Stand

Awaiting piston ring install tool & head gasket which should both be here today or tomorrow. Praying the reassembly continues to go "smoothly".

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
OP
OP
TheDeliSauce

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Any updates on your build?
You asked mere minutes before I upload the whole story to GTMan's reliability thread. Good timing!

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
OP
OP
TheDeliSauce

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Quoting my reliability thread update:

"Good afternoon, gentlemen.

I know it's been an awful long time since I've updated. The issues with the SI have been hell for the past couple years (2 years, 4 months, 7 days since big issues started to be exact). I hope my experiences & findings help others avoid or diagnose any potential issues. My issues have all been oil related to some degree. Please check/change your oil & PCV valve often!

Godspeed, & happy modding!

• Issue 4 (63439 miles): Oil pump housing scored & worn. Debris from the oil strainer pickup tube made its way into the oil pump, getting forced between the oil pump gear & oil pump housing. Symptoms are subtle squeaking early on with subtle audible knocking later on from 63,016 miles to now at 63,439 miles. K.Con spikes haven’t manifested during these issues & symptoms can easily be missed if you aren’t experienced in what to listen for. Knocking sound volume increases <140F, seemingly not throttle dependent, & <3,000 RPM.
The oil pumps' scoring (Top assembly is "current", bottom assembly is from the MAP block).

Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2024-03-06 Oil Pump Scorin

The metallic debris from deep inside the oil strainer pickup tube that I was able to blast out with brake clean & compressed air.

Honda Civic 10th gen TheDeliSauce's SI Build (So Far) 2024-03-06 Oil Strainer Pickup Tube Debris
"