First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hi all,

I just picked up a certified used 2020 Honda Civic EX-L with 23k miles (upgraded from a 2017 Honda Civic EX-L that someone ran into me and totaled). Super familiar with Gen X Civics.

I’ve had this vehicle for about 3 days and am starting to hear a faint but annoying sound coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. It was not noticed during my test drive prior to purchase. It’s hard to tell, but I believe it’s coming from front vs the back. Seems to happen when accelerating, maybe between 2-3k rpm. I tried toggling the A/C off and I don’t think that has any affect in case it was one of the notorious A/C issues.

My wife is calling me crazy because she doesn’t hear it - but I definitely hear. It’s like a singular toned whine/whistle sound. Video below, turn the volume up and it’s present after about 5 seconds or so in.

2020 Honda Civic EX-L Weird Sound - 5 seconds in
2020 Honda Civic EX-L

1) Am I crazy and just hearing it on my
own?

2) If you hear it, any suggestions to root cause?
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Like Brandon said, there's nothing in that clip that sounds odd. That doesn't mean it isn't there.

OP
OP
midnightpi

midnightpi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Alrighty - yeah, it mixed on my friends/family that I’ve shared this with. Half can’t hear it then half do hear it. It sounds like a radio wave sound, like a dog whistle but low-ish tune. I’ll have to wait a bit and see if it gets louder/take a new video.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi all,

I just picked up a certified used 2020 Honda Civic EX-L with 23k miles (upgraded from a 2017 Honda Civic EX-L that someone ran into me and totaled). Super familiar with Gen X Civics.

I’ve had this vehicle for about 3 days and am starting to hear a faint but annoying sound coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. It was not noticed during my test drive prior to purchase. It’s hard to tell, but I believe it’s coming from the passenger side— and front vs the back. Seems to happen when accelerating, maybe between 2-3k rpm. I tried toggling the A/C off and I don’t think that has any affect in case it was one of the notorious A/C issues.

My wife is calling me crazy because she doesn’t hear it - but I definitely hear. It’s like a singular toned whine/whistle sound. Video below, turn the volume up and it’s present after about 5 seconds or so in.

2020 Honda Civic EX-L Weird Sound - 5 seconds in
2020 Honda Civic EX-L

1) Am I crazy and just hearing it on my
own?

2) If you hear it, any suggestions to root cause?
[/QUOTE
did the 2017 have a turbo?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ronny, all EX-L's are turbos.

OP
OP
midnightpi

midnightpi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Yes. So I’m used to the Turbo sound coming from my 2017. Maybe it’s a different sound than what I’m used to that could be completely normal. I’ll have to wait and see if it’s more pronounced. New used car worries, you know? ;)
Other than that sound, things seem good. This car market is dumb though. I probably paid just a bit too much for this Civic ($25k) but I really enjoy the Gen X lines and am just so used to them.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, in my area, a 2020 EX-L with only 23K miles typically sells for 25k plus.

OP
OP
midnightpi

midnightpi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Oh right. I guess I meant that MSRP back in the day was the same amount basically, so there hasn’t been much depreciation on the car. I could’ve bought new now, but there’s some features of Gen X that the newer ones don’t really have. Plus I like the body style of the Gen X’ers better.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I downloaded and amplified it. It's like a major third interval from the idle tone. That, to me, suggests a harmonic resonance. But it could be anything that's resonating.

Since it comes and goes; I wouldn't worry that much.

OP
OP
midnightpi

midnightpi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for attempting and validating there’s something there. I still hear it from time-to-time, but comes and goes. If anything major, I still have bumper-to-bumper and should help cover it. Doesn’t seem to affect performance, just my ear that catches it. I play music, so I pick up tones pretty well.

I downloaded and amplified it. It's like a major third interval from the idle tone. That, to me, suggests a harmonic resonance. But it could be anything that's resonating.

Since it comes and goes; I wouldn't worry that much.

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag