2016 EX-T Strange Scraping noise at startup????

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Anybody else heard a scraping noise on startup? I have heard a few times and it is bothersome. I have just over 1,000 miles on it now, picked it up with 5 miles 2 weeks ago.
Haven't notified the dealership, as the car runs fine. Just wondering if anybody else has heard it.
Sponsored

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I heard this too, once when my wife was leaving. Sounded almost like when you try to start a car that's already running, the starter pinion against the flywheel. Not that bad, but similar sound. EX-T here as well.

OP
OP
Texancivic

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I heard this too, once when my wife was leaving. Sounded almost like when you try to start a car that's already running, the starter pinion against the flywheel. Not that bad, but similar sound. EX-T here as well.
Glad we are not the only ones that have heard that noise. I heard it and was taken back for a moment and thought...oh crap. Not again....I had a lot of problems with my Ram and reallllly did not want to deal with that mess again.

Car runs great though, I love driving it, much easier to whip in and out of traffic.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I'm going to try to remember to listen to my wife's car in the morning when she head off to work, to see if I hear this noise.

OP
OP
Texancivic

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T

jcoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I've heard it but only when my Touring has been sitting in the garage for several days undriven, kinda like everything is dry. For instance, I'll come home from work on Friday & won't start it again until Monday or Tuesday morning & it will happen. But the next day after I have driven it...nothing. I don't worry too much about it. If it happened every time I might be concerned.

HonoluluBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody else heard a scraping noise on startup? I have heard a few times and it is bothersome. I have just over 1,000 miles on it now, picked it up with 5 miles 2 weeks ago.
Haven't notified the dealership, as the car runs fine. Just wondering if anybody else has heard it.
EX-T here. I also noticed the noise on start up when I first got the car. Had 6 miles on it when I bought it and now am around 2.6k. The starter doesn't do that any more. I chalked it up to it being brand new and once the gears got a bit worn in it went away.

fussynetguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T 4-Door sedan
Yes, my 2016 EX-T does it as well !, was doing it for about 3-4 days in a row, took it to the dealer and of course it didn't make the noise on startup all of that day and the next ! can you believe it ?, but it still does it randomly. When i bring mine in for the 1st oil change, I'm hoping thee car will make the noise at that time !

fussynetguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T 4-Door sedan
I am just wondering if any dealer has resolved this issue ?

moeonline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
they haven't because its an issue that Honda will need to release a fix for. its the vct actuator and if you do a search both accords, CR-Vs and I believe civic SI's have had the problem going back to since like 2008.

It's cold starts after the engine has been driven and then off for 1-3 hours typically.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Dealership (and others on here) said it was the fuel pump and was normal.

Given my 2013 Si made the same noise at cold start ups, I disagree. It's much worse on this car and much louder/longer.
Sponsored