TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Exactly my thinking. What if something was fixed incorrectly..
You do realize that there are schools that teach auto body work.
Got news for you, even though its a type r, the unibody design of the vehicle is like most other vehicles out there. If you can repair one properly, you can repair them all.
Find a competent body shop and you really shouldn't have to worry about anything.
Sponsored

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Front end was damaged too. They hit my car hard enough that I hit my neighbors car. It doesn’t look too bad in the front though.
I hit an elk and insurance company agent said it would not increase my rates. This is no fault of yours. The main question is whether it can be fixed. As sticker is North of 37k I would say they will try and fix it. It will definitely decrease the value of the car even if the work is done well. You never know, maybe they total it. If it was fender damage it would be easier but quarter panels are harder to fix. The right guy can do great work to restore it so if repaired I would seriously find an awesome body-man . You can ask the adjuster to allot extra hours so it is done well.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Man, saw you pics. Real sorry that happen. Really stinks. Hope it gets all settled easily.

Did you say you’re looking for a 2020 now? Are you selling this car because of this accident? Just curious.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
you about to see a "used" SGP on Carmax or Carvana soon

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
You do realize that there are schools that teach auto body work.
Got news for you, even though its a type r, the unibody design of the vehicle is like most other vehicles out there. If you can repair one properly, you can repair them all.
Find a competent body shop and you really shouldn't have to worry about anything.
I know that but humans make mistakes so there’s a possibility that they miss the mark on something.

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hit an elk and insurance company agent said it would not increase my rates. This is no fault of yours. The main question is whether it can be fixed. As sticker is North of 37k I would say they will try and fix it. It will definitely decrease the value of the car even if the work is done well. You never know, maybe they total it. If it was fender damage it would be easier but quarter panels are harder to fix. The right guy can do great work to restore it so if repaired I would seriously find an awesome body-man . You can ask the adjuster to allot extra hours so it is done well.
Yea that’s the first thing my insurance told me. Shop told me the car is disassembled and the structure was measured. They’re still working on the estimate though. In their words “it’s a large estimate so we’re still working out all the parts needed and a target date”. Not too worried about losing value as I never planned on selling, but you never know.

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Man, saw you pics. Real sorry that happen. Really stinks. Hope it gets all settled easily.

Did you say you’re looking for a 2020 now? Are you selling this car because of this accident? Just curious.
Yea I know & thank you ? . I’d be looking for a 2020 only if the car was deemed total loss by the insurance. I’ll keep the vehicle if it’s repairable.

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
None... I have a low quality video from my neighbor of the collision. I can’t make out what model vehicle or plates. But the street they came down the only way to enter is if u pass by the sheriff station/city hall so I’m hoping they have street cams.
Time to invest in a set.

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Shop is almost done with the estimate. Spoke with my rep and he said it’s gonna be close to $14k

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Shop is almost done with the estimate. Spoke with my rep and he said it’s gonna be close to $14k
That isn't going to total it. Check the estimate for frame straightening. If this is just replacement of broken parts and body panels, you won't be any the wiser once it's completed. If the unibody is tweaked, you may have issues for the life of the car. Either way I would look into a diminished value claim. If it is allowed in your state you would definitely be due some compensation.

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That isn't going to total it. Check the estimate for frame straightening. If this is just replacement of broken parts and body panels, you won't be any the wiser once it's completed. If the unibody is tweaked, you may have issues for the life of the car. Either way I would look into a diminished value claim. If it is allowed in your state you would definitely be due some compensation.
Yea I figured it wouldn’t. I’ll be looking into the estimate for frame straightening once I have a copy. I was looking into a diminished value claim in California. As far as what I have read everyone in Cali had a tough time proving it to insurance and even after lawyer expenses they only ended up with a couple hundred bucks.

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I work for insurance in Canada. No clue about California sadly. Read your policy carefully and review what coverages you opted for.

You may ask for OEM parts all day long - They may not have to pay for them and sadly that's the truth. Thankfully they don't make used parts and these cars are not common. So chances are you'd get an LKQ (like kind quality) part from another same vehicle that was a total in the front.

Does look like a fair amount of damage. I can't tell if there is any rear suspension/tire damage but you may want to keep an eye on that. Insurance will send it to a BODY SHOP they don't do mechanical work and will sublet it to whomever. You of course don't want that.

Have you got a quote yet? I can't really tell but doesn't look drivable to me. Not enough damage to total it though. Easily repairable. (I say easily meaning possible, I assume the body work and repairs are not easy themselves - Looks like a lot of damage to bends/edges)
So I was looking at my estimate($13,753.62) & everything is listed as oem except for the tail light. The one thing that has me confused is all the suspension parts being replaced are listed as used...

My concerns are how many miles have these parts went through and wouldn’t these parts wear out sooner?

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So I was looking at my estimate($13,753.62) & everything is listed as oem except for the tail light. The one thing that has me confused is all the suspension parts being replaced are listed as used...

My concerns are how many miles have these parts went through and wouldn’t these parts wear out sooner?
Wow that's higher than I thought it would be. The tail light might be a common hatchback item and not type-r specific I'm not sure. Would be worth checking part numbers.

Now with "used" (LKQ) parts, did you go with a shop your insurance recommended? If so make sure they offer a lifetime warranty on ALL repairs and parts they used. If so you have nothing to worry about anything goes wrong with that section down the line call your insurance company. If they are reluctant just keep bitching you will get there I promise.

As far as pre mature wear. There wasn't new parts on your vehicle (you've been driving it) the oldest of these cars is 4 years old and very likely under 30k miles.

Long story short - if you went with your insurance companies shop you're covered. If you went with your own I still wouldn't worry BUT you maybe dealing with a shop that has no obligation to you down the line if something did go wrong.
Sponsored