So many people find out the hard way what this car can do -

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I think within the first few days a roundabout ... But I would be lying if I said the thought didnt cross my mind on how much you could send it in an SUV or a truck flying over one of those
Years ago Down South on residential streets instead of speed bumps they installed "tables" that "send" anyone going over 1/2 the speed limit (30 mph) - they were removed after multiple crashes and deaths = lawsuits. Stupidity is again rewarded or punished depending on whether or not you "sent it" or designed/built it.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My area loves those stupid roundabouts. ... Pple don't stay in their lane and they turn wide and veer over into the other lane sometimes, ... Crazy how that works. I hate them.
They're doubly exciting in the UK or Ireland; haven't been to Bermuda yet.

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
They're doubly exciting in the UK or Ireland; haven't been to Bermuda yet.
Ooof. Why do pple insist on constructing these? I remember watching National Lampoon's European Vacation and they were stuck in the roundabout in London. Took them hours to get out...lol

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Years ago Down South on residential streets instead of speed bumps they installed "tables" that "send" anyone going over 1/2 the speed limit (30 mph) - they were removed after multiple crashes and deaths = lawsuits. Stupidity is again rewarded or punished depending on whether or not you "sent it" or designed/built it.
ooh those. we have those in my neck of the woods, and on a hill might I add. Was interesting to see unsuspecting people at night go over those. Saw many a spark.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Ooof. Why do pple insist on constructing these? I remember watching National Lampoon's European Vacation and they were stuck in the roundabout in London. Took them hours to get out...lol
Because once people learn how to use them, they do a really good job of preventing congestion and grid lock. Of course, their is a learning curve, and you need more than just one, you need a whole system designed for them. But yea, they work better than stop signs when you are talking throughput.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Because once people learn how to use them, they do a really good job of preventing congestion and grid lock. Of course, their is a learning curve, and you need more than just one, you need a whole system designed for them. But yea, they work better than stop signs when you are talking throughput.
In my neck of the woods roundabouts are used frequently, every new road/interchange is evaluated. After more than 10 years of use here I love them. They are designed a little different here I think. Almost all of them have a center area that is planted with trees and/or shrubs, and have other concrete display items used for plantings, so you can't see through, and I don't think anyone really would want to drive through the center.

Once again this is very driver related, you still get the folks who can't make a decision to save their life, sit at them and wait and wait, oh is that MY horn? But for the most part they save tons of time and gas - except for rush hour.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Properly designed, ie bigger diameter than most are "engineered for", they're fine - most aren't. The one around the Lincoln Memorial in D.C. is a great example where "most" doesn't work: too many lanes, too much traffic, and too many visitors.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Old people(and I qualify for that title) struggle with traffic circles. I really love them when they stop while in the circle if someone comes up to an entrance two spots away from their position. Especially when I'm hustling the CTR through while "practicing" for AutoX!😧
Sponsored