Should I learn manual for a Civic Type R?

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Honestly I bet if you waited it'll be automatic soon or acura will have a type r variant that's automatic..rdx sh awd might be it
Not happening. Honda knows better than to slap it's very faithful base by offering an auto Type R. The Type R was never about profits. It was about show casing engineering and creating a car for the enthusiast.

Also, what platform would Acura build their own type R on? ILX is dead and likely not returning. The car is based on the 9G civic platform. Acura totally skipped the 10G. I can't imagine them coming back for an ILX built on an 11G civic platform. The biggest issue is declining sedan sales in favor of cross overs.

Plus, Acura would only release a Type S, not a Type R, I bet. The only reason Acura ever even had a type R back in the day was because it sold as a Honda everywhere else. All they did was swap the badging from Honda to Acura.

There's no word if the TLX is even coming back. It's ending it's life cycle and no new test mules have been seen, no press releases, nothing.
Sponsored

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not happening. Honda knows better than to slap it's very faithful base by offering an auto Type R. The Type R was never about profits. It was about show casing engineering and creating a car for the enthusiast.

Also, what platform would Acura build their own type R on? ILX is dead and likely not returning. The car is based on the 9G civic platform. Acura totally skipped the 10G. I can't imagine them coming back for an ILX built on an 11G civic platform. The biggest issue is declining sedan sales in favor of cross overs.

Plus, Acura would only release a Type S, not a Type R, I bet. The only reason Acura ever even had a type R back in the day was because it sold as a Honda everywhere else. All they did was swap the badging from Honda to Acura.

There's no word if the TLX is even coming back. It's ending it's life cycle and no new test mules have been seen, no press releases, nothing.
Yeah it'll be a type s rdxshawd but they're talking about the type r going electric or hybrid. There's no manual trans in electric cars

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
It won't be full electric. It'll likely be an electric motor paired to an internal combustion engine, in one way or another.

There's no reason why a manual can't be paired to it. Just because it isn't popular (who buys manuals anymore?) Doesn't mean it can't/won't be done.

The MK8 Golf R is heading the same direction. I doubt they will eliminate the manual also, as half of Golf R sales are for manual transmission cars.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s been a TLX lurking with a quad pipe exhaust setup, which might indicate a test mule for the Type S. Also there are wider rear fenders.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I learn manual for a Civic Type R? dn.com%2Fslideshows%2Fimages%2Fslides%2F747%2F211%2F1%2FS7472111%2Fslug%2Fl%2Facura-tlx-type-s-1

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I learned stick shift on my 2007 Civic LX.

The Type R was my 2nd stick shift ever.

Civic is not a bad car to learn clutch. Clutch is pretty soft and forgiving. I've driven a few other stick shift cars and the clutches felt heavier and stiffer.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
They've been saying stick shift is going away for 15 years now. It will one day be fully extinct but I personally don't think that day will come in my young life.
Sponsored