Should i Trade My Type R for a Subaru STI?

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Put some snow tires on your car and you should have no problem. I used to have a V6 Camaro and that thing was a champ in MI winter with some 17" Blizzak WS80's on it. It has everything to do with your tires... not your drivetrain layout. Sure, AWD would be better.. but to trade your brand new type-r and take a huge financial loss just to get it? Something's not adding up.

Sounds like you're making excuses bc you really just want an STI.
Sponsored

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
If you're going to get an STI, then you should wait a year or so. The new models will be coming out, and all signs point to the STI getting the new FA24 engine from the Ascent. If this is true, then it will have the superior power delivery of the FA20 from the 2015+ WRX, but with more displacement (~25% more) and a bigger turbo. Getting an STI now would be setting yourself up for some major buyer's remorse in a year's time.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I have a simple answer: No... unless you want to.

The longer answer....: The STi is an aging platform. I was drawn to it by it's unequal length headers that give it the great gurgling sound, but with the 2015 WRX 2.0, they re-did the headers to be equal length and it lost a lot of its charm. The STi obviously retains the ULH because the 2.5 is still the same since mid 2000s. Also, no hatchback :(

I was in the market for the STi before deciding on the CTR, because I knew I didn't like the STi interior. I didn't like the unfinished feel of the body style. I didn't want the problems of the aging platform.

But, it really comes down to personal preference and what you're willing compromise on. Maybe hold out for the generation update that's been in the works for it.

In the end it was a simple answer for me: No.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have recently been debating on wether i should trade my car for a STI. The reason being is i live in Jersey and we had our first snow day today and i realized how i would not dare take my Type R out in the snow. I use the car as a daily and i live on a big hill and was watching how easily the 4wheel drive cars handled the snow while any other cars fwd and rwd struggled tremendously. I always loved STIs before i saw the Type R announced back in 2016. I recently got my Type r this summer and it has 5.5k miles now. Any reasons i should stir away from the STIs. I love my Type R but from a long term standpoint a 4wheel drive car does make more sense and the STI is the only car id consider.
I've owned an STI before. I've also owned a GC8 WRX back in Japan. I love Subaru...if I had more snow here, I probably would have gone with the STi.

In fact, I was going to get the STi, until I saw the Type R was coming to the US with some power (I thought we'd get screwed with a NA 200hp motor for over 30k lol)

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're going to get an STI, then you should wait a year or so. The new models will be coming out, and all signs point to the STI getting the new FA24 engine from the Ascent. If this is true, then it will have the superior power delivery of the FA20 from the 2015+ WRX, but with more displacement (~25% more) and a bigger turbo. Getting an STI now would be setting yourself up for some major buyer's remorse in a year's time.
yeah, this...I won't lie...if they do finally update their platform, I may trade in lol

Blackhalo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra GSR
Country flag
Wait for sure...

I sold my Evo X a couple years ago and now looking to get into a 4 door again in the 35kish range. I'm trying to be patient and not jump on a CTR, hoping Honda comes out with a slightly more stripped down version... that and the inevitable STI update that's long overdue with a new power train.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
btw, don't buy a new STI now. 2020 STI will be hitting the lots by summer 19. New STI's have always been announced at the NY autoshow. Should have the 2.4DIT from the Ascent with 300+ hp.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I really don't understand what's going through the OP's head. You will still have to buy a set of winter tires for the STI and it's not going to be markedly better in the snow than a CTR with quality winter tires. Sure better grip from a stop but once you get going not a lot different. STI's are dinosaurs in every way. Balls slow stock, understeering pig, and looks like car fresh out of a 2010 showroom. It's a total downgrade in every way.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I came from a 2016 sti and have no regrets. I live in Canada so obviously needed winter wheels and tires for both vehicles as they both come with summer tires from the factory. I suspect that is all you need for your type r to easily make it through the winter. Note that the ride in the sti is rough especially when things are all frozen solid. Don’t miss that. And the shifter in the sti is like a LOT better in the type r. And hatchback.

I still keep in touch with the Subaru dealer and will be taking a look at the sti when the new one comes out. Both cars keep their values really well so losing money on the type r should not be a concern if you do decide to trade in.

Personally I would wait until more details come out on the new sti until doing something as I keep hearing somewhere between 350-450hp and a hybrid setup. No manual from the sounds of it though. If true, I am in.

The one thing about the sti though that I do miss is the damn noise. It sounded good.

happychanga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I just drove my CTR in ice and snow few days ago with my 255/35/R20 Michelin all seasons, I was going a little under 30mph the whole time. A little gas and traction light will come up, manageable but not confidence inspiring. I was thinking maybe I should get a SUV or something but the ctr is so comfortable and drives so well when not snowing. I'm thinking in the distant future I will get an evo 9 or sti or maybe a raptor with winter tires in the winter and I will have fun whole year hahaha.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not a R owner but I agree with everyone else here. Winter tires on your R will make a huge difference and it should be great in the snow. AWD on all seasons is worse than FWD with winter tires, talking from experience. If you really want an STI though, currently it is pretty dated and I would wait till they release the new one to make a decision. You'll regret it if your ditch your Type R now for an STI and have it be already out of date within the next 2 years.

winsanity324

@WNSNTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I agree with most people here. A good winter tire setup is all you need. As others have mentioned, even with the STI, you're going to need a winter tire setup anyways because they come with summer performance tires. So it makes sense to just get some winters this year and then if you really want an STI still, wait until they switch to the Subaru Global Platform that is underpinning most of the newer models in their lineup. It's a big upgrade, plus they might be doing a hybrid AWD system.

I'm a big fan of Subaru and worked for them for a bit. I had a BRZ before the Type R too, but I do have to say the Type R is far better than the current STI as it stands. Definitely not a bad car, but definitely lagging behind in terms of refinement, interior fit/finish/materials and powertrain. The sound is definitely addictive though!

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
New STI in a year or two or wait another 2-3 years after that for kinks to get worked out with the refresh? So you might be looking at 4-6 years from now but thats just me, if I were to get a STI.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Never had trouble with snow tires on my CTR in New England. It really doesn’t snow THAT much in NJ. Never had trouble with snow tires on a RWD M3 in the snowiest city in the USA where it averages over 120 inches of snow per year.

From what I have seen, the only weather-related situation where AWD with all seasons is superior to FWD/RWD with snows is perhaps going up a hill.
Sponsored

Last edited: