Rhythmic noise coming from engine of my new R

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Long story short, took the R to the dealer today to have their master tech (who owns an R) look at my car. He could not hear the noise, however myself and others could.

Note that this isn’t the famous injector tick or fuel pump noise.

2021 R with 1,900 miles on the clock. Whether AC is on or off, there is a low tone rhythmic noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. To me it sounds like a bad pulley or tensioner.

I even listened to his car, which had same mileage, and his was quiet other than injector tick. Mine on the other hand has this ra ra ra ra ra whirring noise.

Anyone else have, had or seen this issue? I’m meeting with a Honda DPSM rep July 6th anyways but figured I’d try here.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I can’t recall if the clutch on the compressor is visible from up top but if it is see if it is engaging and disengaging properly. My guess would be the compressor.

OP
OP
NHCivicGuy

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I just listened to this on my computer using external speakers and wow can I hear it clearer than I did on my phone. Appreciate anyone who can listen and see if you know what that noise possibly is.

Again, not injector tick lol.

Last edited:

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
I don’t know about the passenger side. I did hear it from driver side when idle. Later I found it was the transmission gear meshing sound. It goes away when the clutch is depressed. Listened to two other Rs and five sport trim with MT, all have the whining sound.

OP
OP
NHCivicGuy

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I don’t know about the passenger side. I did hear it from driver side when idle. Later I found it was the transmission gear meshing sound. It goes away when the clutch is depressed. Listened to two other Rs and five sport trim with MT, all have the whining sound.
Ah yeah sadly this isn’t the same sound. Thanks for your input tho!

OP
OP
NHCivicGuy

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Can you post a sound from the engine bay?
I tried recording a few clips but the injectors take the full audio over on the video. I’ll try again and maybe even with some type of stethoscope setup.

Dealer looked at everything and it all checks out, they can’t hear anything not normal. But I know what I hear and compared it to others, something is definitely off but I’m covered since I did what I could.

DerekitoyMD

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I tried recording a few clips but the injectors take the full audio over on the video. I’ll try again and maybe even with some type of stethoscope setup.

Dealer looked at everything and it all checks out, they can’t hear anything not normal. But I know what I hear and compared it to others, something is definitely off but I’m covered since I did what I could.
have a take a look at this. Recorded at my engine bay. You could hear the ticking from DI but there’s a rattling “toktoktok” in the background

https://youtube.com/shorts/CCu44Trq3AE?feature=share

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
If you want to be accurate, buy a mechanic's stethoscope, It's 5.00 at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63691.html

Anyone who owns a car who is ever going to be remotely interested in "a noise" on any component should have one. Using your ears is a crapshoot, there's too much noise pollution and the sound travels in ways that fool you into thinking the wrong part is making the sound.

You can also make a bootleg version of the mechanic's stethoscope. You need an empty jug of milk or windshield washer fluid jug, one long "professional" screwdriver ("professional" meaning it has a thicccc handle, fat enough to fit into the mouth of the empty jug).
1. Cut the bottom of the jug out to make a "cone".
2. Stick the fat handle into the mouth of the jug.
3. Hold the pointy end of the screw on any assembly that is making noise or has moving parts inside, the sound plays out of the jug like a loud speaker.
It's the same principle as the mechanic's stethoscope but plays the sound out of the jug on blast, where as the MS transmits to your ear canals. This version is useful if you're making a DIY video and you need to let the viewers hear the sound from a noisy pulley, the mechanic's stethoscope can't play the sound loud enough for the camera to pick up.

When using either one to isolate sounds, you touch the pointy end of the screwdriver or mechanic's stethoscope on the non-moving part of the assembly. For example on pulleys you touch the bolt that is attached to the pulley, not the spinning pulley itself (otherwise it would scrape and REALLY make noise lmao).

TechMechanic

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sonic Gray Pearl Civic Type-R
Country flag
Sounds like a low pitched whirring noise. The injector click is one thing, but there is an underlying noise that sounds like a low moan or a low whirring sound. Try turning the a/c off/on to see if it changes it.

OP
OP
NHCivicGuy

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Sounds like a low pitched whirring noise. The injector click is one thing, but there is an underlying noise that sounds like a low moan or a low whirring sound. Try turning the a/c off/on to see if it changes it.
Yeah that’s exactly the noise. I did try with the ac off and on and even unplugged battery for 30 mins hoping to drain/reset systems just in case something was maybe sticking electronically. Dealer also had it for a full day overnight and did not find anything wrong or out of the ordinary. I’m guessing they could not hear or pinpoint the noise and assumed it was normal. I bought a stethoscope so maybe I’ll be able to narrow it down more. For now I’m gonna run it as is and the dealer and Honda said I’m protected if something happens. ?‍♂
Sponsored