Remote Start

gb714us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hey all,

Recently got a 2016 touring. I was testing out the remote start feature on it. It works fine, but shuts off the engine as soon as i unlock the door or open it. This then requires me to use the push to start to restart the engine again. Is this how it works for everyone else? Not sure what it could be. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Hey all,

Recently got a 2016 touring. I was testing out the remote start feature on it. It works fine, but shuts off the engine as soon as i unlock the door or open it. This then requires me to use the push to start to restart the engine again. Is this how it works for everyone else? Not sure what it could be. Thanks in advance.

When I use remote start and get into the car, the engine does not turn off. Everything stays as is....heater going, seats warming, etc. However, I must push the "engine start" button to get all systems ready to drive and to turn infotainment on, etc.
Maybe you are getting into your car, coincidentally, just as the built in automatic 10 minute turnoff takes place?
Either that or it's a malfunction of this feature. I'm not familiar with any setting that would cause this for you. IMHO.

OP
OP

gb714us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Welp. I only tested and it turns of at anytime I get close to it regardless of the time. Not sure why. I've played with the settings. Nothing.

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Hey all,

I am sure that you must have received a non-lcd remote, as in touring model, there is non-lcd remote.
I have a non-lcd remote as well and my car does not shut off. I hold the driver's side door handle and the car unlocks and then I press the engine start button while holding the brake pedal to continue keeping the car started. If i don't hold the brake pedal and don't press the engine start button together or if i just simply try to change the gear after entering the car, the car shuts down.

I have a 2014 civic ex and installed a remote starter (Honda OEM) and when I reach the car and touch the driver's side handle, the car shuts down.

Bandito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Yeah, this is definitely not the way that the remote start should be working.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, you could disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it off for about 5 minutes and then reconnect it. This will reboot the car and hopefully clear up the problem. If you're not comfortable with that, then a trip to the dealer will be necessary to get this issue addressed.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure you are in P when you get in the car. Funny things happen in this car depending on if the CVT is in park.

OP
OP

gb714us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yes. Car is not running and locked when I use remote start. I have the standard key fob. No LCD. I'm gonna see if I can go to the dealership today.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, if you're not in Park you can't shut the car completely down when you press the button. The engine will shut off but not the electronics. If you come to a stop and park your car but want to turn it off while leaving the radio on, you can't be in Park (you have to be in N with the brake on, or be in Park but turn the accessories back on after shutting down). There are a few other items that are only available in Park (I think infotainment video, nav keyboard, etc.)

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I am sure that you must have received a non-lcd remote, as in touring model, there is non-lcd remote.
I have a non-lcd remote as well and my car does not shut off. I hold the driver's side door handle and the car unlocks and then I press the engine start button while holding the brake pedal to continue keeping the car started. If i don't hold the brake pedal and don't press the engine start button together or if i just simply try to change the gear after entering the car, the car shuts down.

I have a 2014 civic ex and installed a remote starter (Honda OEM) and when I reach the car and touch the driver's side handle, the car shuts down.

On the 2016 Civic EX and above, remote start is standard!

It is not an add-on!

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
On the 2016 Civic EX and above, remote start is standard!

It is not an add-on!
That's True. I own a Touring model as well.
I only mentioned this because I thought that the guy who posted the question might have installed some other remote or the car might came with a different version of remote from the factory.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry but what does LCD/non-LCD remote mean?
Some remotes show the status of car running on the remote itself (LCD Screen). However, even with the normal remote you get the blinking notification when it starts. You just need access to a window or way to see the vehicle