Remote Start

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
if the person with the key leaves the car with the engine on will another driver still be able to drive away?

I've read the Acura people have done just that ...run errands etc and return until you shut it off.
That is my understanding. I think it warns the new driver that this is what's happening. This can be problematic if, say, your spouse drives off after you've gotten off somewhere but doesn't also have a fob. The design allows for this case but forces the second driver to only one choice: go straight home and get their fob.

Edited to add: a key failure possibility here is that you are diving the car with your SO, drop them off somewhere, and only then discover that it was the SOs fob that let you get this far to begin with.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eberrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
New guy here. Just purchased a 2016 Touring Civic that was just under 1 year old. Love the car. I had the same issue when remote starting. As soon as I got into the car and put it in gear it died and had to be restarted. After reading owners manual and all these posts, I remote start, get into car, apply brake pedal, push start button and the A/C stops, starts back up and engine continues to run normally. I think the idea is to verify that the person entering the car after remote starting has the correct remote.--Dave
I have the same experience on my new 2017 Civic Touring Sedan. Activate remote start...get in car...hold brake and press start button...A/C shuts off momentarily...A/C returns at previous settings. Last thing I want is the A/C to shut off when trying to cool a hot car. I don't get it. I have rented plenty of different cars that did not have this issue with remote start. Really strange.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Last thing I want is the A/C to shut off when trying to cool a hot car. … I have rented plenty of different cars that did not have this issue with remote start.
I don't think it's an issue, just an observable result of a design choice about how to change the Auto AC control mode from Remote Start to On. It's not as though it turns the AC off for five minutes or something. It's a second or two.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine works like that also.From My understanding, the remote start activates the A.c. / heat to preset temps based on the temp outside. I think once you hit the button and fully start ,it just resets to what you had it on while previously driving.

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine works like that also.From My understanding, the remote start activates the A.c. / heat to preset temps based on the temp outside. I think once you hit the button and fully start ,it just resets to what you had it on while previously driving.
This x2. Agreed.--Dave
Sponsored