Remote Start

Chiricon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
This is my first Honda with remote start. I understand that the car flashes when remote started, but it surprises me that there is no other indication that the car is running. My Ford will leave parking lights on to indicate that it has been remote started. Is the only indication of remote start with the civic that the lights will flash when started? Sometimes I start the car from a distance and cannot see the lights. It would be nice to have the parking lights on when started.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I think they are trying to keep the fact that the car is running somewhat stealthy. Perhaps because there are lots of places where it's illegal?

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think they are trying to keep the fact that the car is running somewhat stealthy. Perhaps because there are lots of places where it's illegal?
My thoughts exactly. Do you want to announce to a whole parking lot full of cars that your car is running (even though you have to have the key to actually do anything with it)? And, it is illegal in some states to leave a vehicle running without an occupant (though the key fob takes away the likelihood it will be stolen - the real motivation for such laws).

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
non lcd fob

and lcd fob

That lcd remote start has been an add on for Honda for years now. It's junk. It does not replace your smart remote. It's an add on for older Hondas or any Honda that does come with remote start. The built in remote start in 2016 model Honda is standard most vehicles. Honda list it under the 2016 as an accessory because it's an accessory for the LX.

Buccal_Up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T
Country flag
a couple times when i remote started the car right as i first enter the cabin the automatic climate feature is on and depending on the temp it could be going at full blast, and when i press the brakes and hit engine start button the climate settings will revert to what i left them at when i last drove the car (i usually turn it off before shutting off the car) and once the noise of the fan blowing goes away it gets so silent i thought the car itself shut off... but it was actually running its just quiet. best thing to do is check the tach and see if the motor is on.

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Some remotes show the status of car running on the remote itself (LCD Screen). However, even with the normal remote you get the blinking notification when it starts. You just need access to a window or way to see the vehicle
I'm pretty sure the "blinking" simply acts as as feedback for when you press the buttons and does not actually indicate that the car is started/locked/unlocked etc. I could be miles from my car and the remote still lights up when pressing any buttons so it has nothing to do with the car itself, although I wish it did.

van604

2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When I use remote start and get into the car, the engine does not turn off. Everything stays as is....heater going, seats warming, etc. However, I must push the "engine start" button to get all systems ready to drive and to turn infotainment on, etc.
Maybe you are getting into your car, coincidentally, just as the built in automatic 10 minute turnoff takes place?
Either that or it's a malfunction of this feature. I'm not familiar with any setting that would cause this for you. IMHO.
Mine is similar. The remote start turns on the car but when I am ready to drive, I must push the "engine start" which then TURNS EVERYTHING OFF and then I can start the car normally. It seems weird that it does that.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Mine is similar. The remote start turns on the car but when I am ready to drive, I must push the "engine start" which then TURNS EVERYTHING OFF and then I can start the car normally. It seems weird that it does that.
Are you pressing the brake pedal when pushing the Engine Start button? I also have a Canadian Touring Sedan and when doing so, the engine doesn't stop, it just goes from a "remote started" mode to "fully on" mode.

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
New guy here. Just purchased a 2016 Touring Civic that was just under 1 year old. Love the car. I had the same issue when remote starting. As soon as I got into the car and put it in gear it died and had to be restarted. After reading owners manual and all these posts, I remote start, get into car, apply brake pedal, push start button and the A/C stops, starts back up and engine continues to run normally. I think the idea is to verify that the person entering the car after remote starting has the correct remote.--Dave

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
New guy here. Just purchased a 2016 Touring Civic that was just under 1 year old. Love the car. I had the same issue when remote starting. As soon as I got into the car and put it in gear it died and had to be restarted. After reading owners manual and all these posts, I remote start, get into car, apply brake pedal, push start button and the A/C stops, starts back up and engine continues to run normally. I think the idea is to verify that the person entering the car after remote starting has the correct remote.--Dave
Mine continues to run once I get in.

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine continues to run also when I get into the car. It will only cut off if I try to engage drive without first stepping on the brake pedal and pushing the start button. As mentioned, I'm sure it wants to verify that the remote is in the pocket of the guy who is about to drive it away...only makes sense.--Dave

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm sure it wants to verify that the remote is in the pocket of the guy who is about to drive it away...only makes sense.
It also has to "turn on" all the stuff that isn't running in Remote Start. I.e., the dash.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
It also has to "turn on" all the stuff that isn't running in Remote Start. I.e., the dash.
So excuse if off topic but with keyless entry if the person with the key leaves the car with the engine on will another driver still be able to drive away?

I've read the Acura people have done just that ...run errands etc and return until you shut it off. I haven't confirmed if possible but I have driven around a parking lot until I realized I didn't have the key! I figured I was in 'range'
Sponsored