Rear speaker question for premium audio system

BlackBlade17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Hello all, I was hoping to get some input from those who have the premium stock systems that have the tweeter/woofer in the rear deck.

Is it better to replace the woofer with a coaxial and disconnect the rear tweeter, or just go all out and replace both with components? I want to replace the speakers in my si sedan but not sure which way to proceed. From reading other threads, it seems a full range signal is sent from the amp to each rear side then is split somewhere before reaching the 6.5" woofer and tweeter.

Any input is appreciated. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I have *not* done this. So... grain of salt.

And I have a true hatred for the signal processing that Honda does with these systems. When I had my 2019 Sport Coupe; I pondered the same re: the rears. I faded the stereo all the way to the rears and wasn't impressed. Thinking it may be the fault of the speakers; I connected a known set of nice sounding, passive, ported bookshelf speakers to the signal wires for the rear speakers. The resulting sound was awful. That particular system had no sub nor split woofer/tweeter setup. But, to my ear, it was hardly 'full range'. I would say it 'sounded like ass'.

I tell this story only to encourage you to not be seduced by the allure of aftermarket speakers for the rear channels. They will certainly be 'better' than stock, IMO. But connect speakers/headphones that you know and audition the actual signal before ya' go nuts.

I ended up buying a '18 LX just so I could easily swap out the stereo.

Good luck.

OP
OP

BlackBlade17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. Yeah the signal is garbage, it's a shame.

I may try a budget set as an experiment before going all out on premium speakers.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a comp stereo truck and never planned to really do the stereo in the si but Ive got the itch to do this summer. Unfortunately, as you said, I don't think a simple speaker swap will be that great. I thought people preferred the cheap stereo though because the DSP is easier to replace? That's where the headache comes in. So far I haven't started and only put a 93db center in. I would pay attention for higher sensitivity like 91db+ instead of the wattage if you're going to power them with OEM amp.
Sponsored