Question on Acceleration on Honda Civic 2016 174 HP

kunalca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hi I just purchased a new 2016 Honda Civic EX-T (It comes with 174 HP Turbocharged Engine) and am Loving it !!! I have a question, and not sure if I need to bring it to the dealers attention.

In multiple youtube sites, Motor Trend, and even here at civicx forums there are claims that the car accelerates (tested) 0-60 MPH (0-96 KM/H) in under 7 seconds.

I live in Toronto, which is close to the sea level, and even on straight roads, being the only passenger, I am not able to get it in under 8 seconds in "S" mode with Traction Control: ON

To test, I simply floor the pedal from 0.

Am I doing anything wrong? Why am I not able to get it close to 7 seconds?

See here: http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-...ed-by-edmunds-calls-civic-a-game-changer.988/

Youtube:
Sponsored

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi I just purchased a new 2016 Honda Civic EX-T (It comes with 174 HP Turbocharged Engine) and am Loving it !!! I have a question, and not sure if I need to bring it to the dealers attention.

In multiple youtube sites, Motor Trend, and even here at civicx forums there are claims that the car accelerates (tested) 0-60 MPH (0-96 KM/H) in under 7 seconds.

I live in Toronto, which is close to the sea level, and even on straight roads, being the only passenger, I am not able to get it in under 8 seconds in "S" mode with Traction Control: ON

To test, I simply floor the pedal from 0.

Am I doing anything wrong? Why am I not able to get it close to 7 seconds?

See here: http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-...ed-by-edmunds-calls-civic-a-game-changer.988/

Youtube:
bringing it to the dealers attention because you cant get 0-60mph in 7 seconds? :dunno:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You aren't launching it correctly. Simply flooring it would be closer to the 5-60 times that magazines show. Car & Driver got 7.7s 5-60. You need to brake torque it to build up boost, then release the brake. Also realize that the times shown are basically the best case result, on a track with good traction and so on.

OP
OP

kunalca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Thanks for the responses! Sorry - I didn't mean to be a prick. I dont want to bring it to the dealers attention, that's why I asked here first :) It is just that my salesperson said "it goes to 0-100 kmh in under 7 seconds", so I naturally got a little curious when I was getting it over 8 seconds. My initial thought was "is my turbo not performing as expected?"

Thanks again!

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
A) learn your car... B) learn to drive.. Yes i said it.. Theres alot more to getting the best 0-60 time than planting your foot on the break and then gassing it. (I plan on getting it close to 6 seconds albeit... After i break it in...c) read a breaking in guide.. I dont even wanna know how much premature wear ir vehicle has due to what you have done to it... Id love to drain your oil and run a magnet thru it.. D) facepalm....

OP
OP

kunalca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Because it's a brand new car, and you didn't let it break in?

Take it to the dealer if you want, but they'll void your warranty because you blatantly disregarded their break-in period of NOT going WOT.
Thanks inv4zn! I will be careful about the break-in period for a little while longer. I am currently at 800 KM

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yeah man.

Greatly exaggerating, you're expecting a baby to run. Let the car break in, all the metal parts settle and lubricated, etc.

As for either neutral dumping or holding the brake while you rev up will indeed make your launch faster, but you're putting a lot of stress on the transmission. Not something you want to do, especially on a car with 800km...

Stay safe, and stay smart my friend.

mjyumping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 626 Hatchback
Country flag
The break in period is 1000km.
During this period, you should not perform any sudden accelerations or else the engine may blow up. Good your engine didn't blow :)

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The break in period is 1000km.
During this period, you should not perform any sudden accelerations or else the engine may blow up. Good your engine didn't blow :)
...the engine is not going to blow up.

It may fail prematurely as a result of not being allowed to gently settle in, but it's not going to suddenly decide it's going to start shooting pistons through the hood.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
...the engine is not going to blow up.

It may fail prematurely as a result of not being allowed to gently settle in, but it's not going to suddenly decide it's going to start shooting pistons through the hood.
Havent seen one blow up... But i have seen a mustang with 500miles on itbdump all its coolant as the hoses became undone... That was epic fail... So think about more than just the engine

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
...but that's completely irrelevant. Someone said not sticking to the break-in period will blow the engine, when it will not.

Also, a shitty coolant hose coupling is just that - has nothing to do with breaking in the engine.

Also, you spelled Connecticut wrong.

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
...but that's completely irrelevant. Someone said not sticking to the break-in period will blow the engine, when it will not.

Also, a shitty coolant hose coupling is just that - has nothing to do with breaking in the engine.

Also, you spelled Connecticut wrong.
lmao

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
8 seconds! Better take it back man. We all know the 1.5t is underrated and is faster than the 9th gen Si which does around 6.5sec.

Lol JK. Just launch it properly and it should be in the mid 7s.
Sponsored