Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt)

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Have been having a bunch of misfiring issues with my car recently only at WOT.
Powerband feels like it breaks up while under medium to heavy acceleration.
I daily the car pretty heavily; do a lot of medium to heavy acceleration and a lot of highway commuting (wot probably twice a week before my issues).
My touring has FBO minus intercooler and turbo (both are stock), I use flex fuel as well, and have a custom e30 tune from Drob that I daily with.

Here's what I've done to narrow done the issues:
- Changed spark plugs twice
- Changed coils
- Changed fuel injectors (cleaned intake manifold and throttle body during process)
- Used seafoam fuel cleaner
- Compression tested all 4 cylinders (got 150psi on all cylinders)
- Reverted back to stock tune and all stage 1 (16.5psi), 2 (18psi), and 3 (21psi) ktuner tunes
- Had trans oil changed about 6months ago
- Oil was changed a couple weeks ago

I have logs if anyone with excessive tuner knowledge would like to take a look at (I am a novice, so I slightly understand AFR and such but not as in depth). Pretty sure the car runs rich even whilst cruising but AFR tends to stay around 14.7 from what I've seen from the logs might be missing something.
In regard to the tunes, only ktuners 21psi tune and Drobs tune (21-22psi) cause misfires at WOT. All other tunes (18psi<) that I have tested run perfectly fine at WOT All of the logs that I have collected are labeled and attached in the .zip.

I'm beginning to think it may be a fuel pump or sensor issues somewhere in the car (TPS, MAF, O2, etc...). If not that possibly the cvt starting on its way out? I am at a loss for now, any help is appreciated. Any questions for clarification I will try to answer ASAP. Thanks all.
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
So just to update the thread, when the problem initially started I would try to get the car to WOT and in doing so it would backfire even more than it does now and go into limp mode. After I replaced my spark plugs this issue went away, but the backfiring persisted.
Also I am going to spot check my old MAF sensor to see if there is anything visibly wrong with it, and possibly get a new MAF sensor this morning to see if it will help.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The misfires are a result of hitting max fuel pressure on the stock system. Dial the ethanol down a little bit. You probably will hit the issue more often than not if the temps are lower. Its the same thing I ran into with Drob on my tune.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
The misfires are a result of hitting max fuel pressure on the stock system. Dial the ethanol down a little bit. You probably will hit the issue more often than not if the temps are lower. Its the same thing I ran into with Drob on my tune.
Problem with that is the issue can be replicated on a full tank of 93, with a ktuner 21 psi tune.
And the issue started on a night drive at around 32 Fahrenheit so what you're saying about temps makes sense.
Also bought a new maf sensor and issue still persists. Might go for a fuel pump next.

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Problem with that is the issue can be replicated on a full tank of 93, with a ktuner 21 psi tune.
And the issue started on a night drive at around 32 celsius so what you're saying about temps makes sense.
Also bought a new maf sensor and issue still persists. Might go for a fuel pump next.
It's still going to be fuel pressure. If you look at your logs at WOT, you will see how its maxed out. If that persists for a bit longer, the car will go into limp mode. Mine goes into limp mode if I go WOT for over 8-10seconds.

This is on your ktuner 21 post injector log file.

It is not an issue of failing parts. It is just you are at the maximum point of what the stock fuel system can deliver.

You need to upgrade the HPFP and LPFP. The HPFP could get off the Si which would give you a little bit more but then you would also need to get cams which you could also grab off the 1.5T accord.

You could ask drob to perhaps dial it a bit down so that you aren't at that peak fuel pressure command or just slightly lay off the throttle from like maybe 100% TPS to maybe like 85-90%.

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfiring/breakup on acceleration 2016 civic touring (cvt) 1648059423602

Last edited:

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
It's still going to be fuel pressure. If you look at your logs at WOT, you will see how its maxed out. If that persists for a bit longer, the car will go into limp mode. Mine goes into limp mode if I go WOT for over 8-10seconds.

This is on your ktuner 21 post injector log file.

It is not an issue of failing parts. It is just you are at the maximum point of what the stock fuel system can deliver.

You need to upgrade the HPFP and LPFP. The HPFP could get off the Si which would give you a little bit more but then you would also need to get cams which you could also grab off the 1.5T accord.

You could ask drob to perhaps dial it a bit down so that you aren't at that peak fuel pressure command or just slightly lay off the throttle from like maybe 100% TPS to maybe like 85-90%.

1648059423602.png
Hmmm interesting, so if I say upgraded the fuel pump would this problem no longer persist?
And I don't understand why now this is happening? It was fine with my final Drob tune for at least 3-4 months after the fact, so why now?
I appreciate your help btw I was honestly expecting nothing to come of this thread.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hmmm interesting, so if I say upgraded the fuel pump would this problem no longer persist?
And I don't understand why now this is happening? It was fine with my final Drob tune for at least 3-4 months after the fact, so why now?
I appreciate your help btw I was honestly expecting nothing to come of this thread.

Maybe injector related issues starting to form?

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A mix of environmental conditions. What were the temps like when you were going through your initial tuning?

For me I got tuned both times during when it was very warm/hot. Then come winter time, I occasionally run into the fuel pressure issue here and there.

If the issues were to be injectors you would see the issue in the fuel pressure which I didn't see in the logs.

Cooler air = more dense = more fuel needed.

Also need to factor in humidity.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
A mix of environmental conditions. What were the temps like when you were going through your initial tuning?

For me I got tuned both times during when it was very warm/hot. Then come winter time, I occasionally run into the fuel pressure issue here and there.

If the issues were to be injectors you would see the issue in the fuel pressure which I didn't see in the logs.

We were tuning during from around September to around January give or take a couple of weeks. So it was pretty cold during tuning which raises more questions than answers I'm afraid.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag

Also I don't know if I mentioned this but my problem started in like February or March when it was snowing out (I live in NC). Nothing prompted this to start to my knowledge; I just went on a drive one night with my girlfriend at around 2am when it was snowy and icy out (would have to say temp was likely below freezing).

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Have you reached out to Drob about this? He will probably be the best bet for answers especially since he tuned your car.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Have you reached out to Drob about this? He will probably be the best bet for answers especially since he tuned your car.
I have not but probably would've have been a good start. I assumed it was nothing tuning related when I could replicate the issue with ktuners 21psi tune, but I suppose there is a possibility he might be able to help.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have not but probably would've have been a good start. I assumed it was nothing tuning related when I could replicate the issue with ktuners 21psi tune, but I suppose there is a possibility he might be able to help.
It may not be tune-specific but I would still reach out to him, he's likely seen the issue before and knows the cause, or can at least give you a good idea where to start looking.

OP
OP
AyePekkz

AyePekkz

First Name
Charles Meyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan
Country flag
It may not be tune-specific but I would still reach out to him, he's likely seen the issue before and knows the cause, or can at least give you a good idea where to start looking.
Just emailed him and linked him the forum, so hopefully he'll see this and be able to check the logs and give some insight.
Although I do agree with Joshua, it really does sound like my fuel pump is limiting my car right now. Might look into upgrade options although I haven't found much for our 10th gens :(
Sponsored