Quick Question about gas pedal sensitivity on new honda civic

Neal123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus 2007
I test drove both the 2016 honda civic touring and the honda accord. I currently own a ford focus 2007, and i was set on wanting the civic but after test driving the civic and accord, I liked how the accord drove much better. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the gas pedal on the civic to match it like the accords? I'm really not a fan of barely pressing the gas pedal and going so fast. I like being able to rest my foot down more and if I need to go faster I can press harder on the pedal, like the accord and my focus. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I test drove both the 2016 honda civic touring and the honda accord. I currently own a ford focus 2007, and i was set on wanting the civic but after test driving the civic and accord, I liked how the accord drove much better. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the gas pedal on the civic to match it like the accords? I'm really not a fan of barely pressing the gas pedal and going so fast. I like being able to rest my foot down more and if I need to go faster I can press harder on the pedal, like the accord and my focus. Any suggestions?
Mine was the same way, but I had the dealer update the TCM/PCM and now it is much more like other cars I've driven..

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Really? I don't find it that sensitive. I drive the Civic and Accord back to back and found they drove/rode the same, which is why I didn't pick the Accord. Hitting the 'Eco' button tones throttle response down a bit.

OP
OP

Neal123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus 2007
Mine was the same way, but I had the dealer update the TCM/PCM and now it is much more like other cars I've driven..
What is the TCM/PCM? Sorry, not very knowledgable with cars lol.

OP
OP

Neal123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus 2007
You'll adapt and adjust and before you know it the Civic's gas pedal will be your new normal.
I've read this a lot as well, I think I'm just nervous as this will probably be my car for the next how many years and don't want to regret buying it lol. I'm just nervous that I wont adapt as you say lol.

OP
OP

Neal123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus 2007
Definitely not that sensitive, or I've just adapted to it. If you tested the turbo, you might be confusing the low-end torque with pedal sensitivity.
How would I be able to tell if I tested the turbo in the car? Is there a way about that changing it? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable and informative when it comes to cars lol. Also thank you to all of you guys for your very quick responses!! I appreciate it!!

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is the TCM/PCM? Sorry, not very knowledgable with cars lol.
Transmission Control Module
Powertrain " "

Had to look that second one up! It's usually called the ECU or 'Engine Computer'.

What trim level did you test? If it was the EX-T or above, it had the 1.5L turbo. What they're talking about is that, in a turbo car, you put your foot down so much to accelerate, then a split-second later (turbo lag) you're going faster than you intended. You just learn not to put your foot down so far over time...

On the other hand, drive some different cars. One of them may suit you better. For instance, I really liked the '16 Camry, but the wife HATED it, so that was that. Buy the car that melds with you the best, but keep in mind you'll get used to any car that doesn't cause you physical discomfort (like '15 Genesis I drove!) while driving... ;)

OP
OP

Neal123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus 2007
Transmission Control Module
Powertrain " "

Had to look that second one up! It's usually called the ECU or 'Engine Computer'.

What trim level did you test? If it was the EX-T or above, it had the 1.5L turbo. What they're talking about is that, in a turbo car, you put your foot down so much to accelerate, then a split-second later (turbo lag) you're going faster than you intended. You just learn not to put your foot down so far over time...

On the other hand, drive some different cars. One of them may suit you better. For instance, I really liked the '16 Camry, but the wife HATED it, so that was that. Buy the car that melds with you the best, but keep in mind you'll get used to any car that doesn't cause you physical discomfort (like '15 Genesis I drove!) while driving... ;)
Thanks!I test drove the Honda Civic Touring 2016. I really like all of the features that are in the touring. Would you say the EX-T and Above drive differently than the lower models? If it was possible I love all the amenities that come with the touring in a lower model if they both indeed drive differently. I plan on looking at some other cars as well, such as the chevy malibu, toyota camry, nissan altima, and a few others.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How would I be able to tell if I tested the turbo in the car? Is there a way about that changing it? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable and informative when it comes to cars lol. Also thank you to all of you guys for your very quick responses!! I appreciate it!!
No worries!

LX & EX have the 2.0 liter (non-Turbo); EX-T, EX-L, & Touring have the 1.5 liter (Turbo).

Since the Civic has a fairly flat powerband, and max torque comes on at 1,700 RPM, it can feel as though the car accelerates fairly quickly at low RPM. And since it has this consistent torque available up to 5,500 RPM, it will continue to accelerate decently even without increase throttle input.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks!I test drove the Honda Civic Touring 2016. I really like all of the features that are in the touring. Would you say the EX-T and Above drive differently than the lower models? If it was possible I love all the amenities that come with the touring in a lower model if they both indeed drive differently. I plan on looking at some other cars as well, such as the chevy malibu, toyota camry, nissan altima, and a few others.
Probably not. The Touring is fully loaded, while the EX-T or -L give up some 'fluff' but are the same car. The 2L engine in the lower trims is less powerful, but not by THAT much. The general want is for MORE acceleration, not less... So you've got an uphill battle. Most cars I drove this time around felt very similar as far as power/acceleration went. Maybe try a Toyota Corolla? Only 138hp which is adequate, but not a speed demon. I just hated the dash on it...

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad it's so touchy. I like being able to barely push the gas pedal, and be smokin' Lamborghini's without even trying. :cool:

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
There's a pretty big difference between the corolla and the 1.5L turbo civic in terms of power, driving refinement, and of course enjoyment.
Sponsored