Push Start, cranks 7-8 times then starts, WTF?!?

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
2018 Honda Civic Si - 4000 miles NO TUNES/UPGRADES.

Very randomly about 2-3 times so far. After being at work for like 6 hours. I go out to start my car and when I PUSH start, it cranks 7-8 times then starts. Wtf is going on here?!?

No I'm not leaving a light on...
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
2018 Honda Civic Si - 4000 miles NO TUNES/UPGRADES.

Very randomly about 2-3 times so far. After being at work for like 6 hours. I go out to start my car and when I PUSH start, it cranks 7-8 times then starts. Wtf is going on here?!?

No I'm not leaving a light on...
Consider 3 options:

(1) Take it to the dealer, and believe whatever they tell you.
(2) Run OBD2 diagnostics, find out what is wrong yourself, and THEN go to the dealer and listen with amusement as THEY tell you what they want to tell you.
(3) Live with it -- at least it starts ( Not a good idea.. 2018 -- still under factory warranty - you are putting extra unnecessary wear on the starter , etc )

I would favor #2 .. If nothing else it gives you a good test of your ability to be able to diagnose a fault yourself .. something that is always useful, and a great help when the factory warranty runs out.

Praemonitus, praemunitus ( forewarned is forearmed.)

Last edited:
OP
OP

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Consider 3 options:

(1) Take it to the dealer, and believe whatever they tell you.
(2) Run OBD2 diagnostics, find out what is wrong yourself, and THEN go to the dealer and listen with amusement as THEY tell you what they want to tell you.
(3) Live with it -- at least it starts ( Not a good idea.. 2018 -- still under factory warranty - you are putting extra unnecessary wear on the starter , etc )

I would favor #2 .. If nothing else it give you a good test of your ability to be able to diagnose a fault yourself .. something that is always useful, and a great help when the factory warranty runs out.

Praemonitus, praemunitus ( forewarned is forearmed.)

Run a OBD2 scan with no codes?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Run a OBD2 scan with no codes?
Sorry, did I miss a comment about never being able to see any error codes, when it has this issue. ?

Sure, when it starts OK, there may not be any codes, but hopefully, if you test for error codes when it won't start, you might see at least a non permanent one ?

In any case, knowing this, before you go to the dealer, will possibly put you in a better position to talk to the dealer about your problem, especially when the dealer cannot find either an error code, or the car does not exhibit the starting problem at the dealership.

Then again, option #1 is to just take it to the dealer, and let them sort everything out, and you not be involved in what is causing the issue
.. so just tell them to "WTF - FIX IT" ! :spaz:
(
Whatever The Fault is - fix it)

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Too many variables to list. And doesn't seem to be a common issue with our cars. Potential causes range from MAF to TPS to fuel pump/injector.

I also suggest taking to the dealer and reporting back. Though they may ask you to return once the issue can be replicated by them. At minimum, I suspect they'll check the plugs for any evidence of fouling. GL.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Happen to me 3 times in the last 9 months
I took a note of the date and hour on every occurrence abd communicated it to the dealer
They verified and told me there ´s no error code.
I have no solution yet so please let me know if you hear about a solution
It’s not a big issue because the car always ended up starting but it’s bad for my ego...

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Too many variables to list. And doesn't seem to be a common issue with our cars. Potential causes range from MAF to TPS to fuel pump/injector.

I also suggest taking to the dealer and reporting back. Though they may ask you to return once the issue can be replicated by them. At minimum, I suspect they'll check the plugs for any evidence of fouling. GL.
I had been able to take a video of the issueabd show it to the dealer... that’s way they agreed to investigate

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had been able to take a video of the issueabd show it to the dealer... that’s way they agreed to investigate
I read on the Internet that quite a number of Honda Owners have a similar issue.

Many theories, non of them reported as actually being the cause.

However, a logical approach should readily find out what the cause is ... it does not matter how Complicated the car's electronics are, the actual starter motor simple.

What is the battery terminal voltage when cranking. If Low, bad or flat battery.

If ok, what is the voltage on the wires leaving the battery. If Low, bad battery Connection at battery.

If Ok, what is the voltage drop between the -ve battery wire at the battery, and a good ground on the engine. If High, bad -ve lead grounding.

What is the voltage at the starter motor terminals when cranking, if low, bad connection on +ve voltage leads, or bad starter solenoid.

If >10 volts at Starter, and it is cranking slowly, bad starter motor ( or excessive mechanical load on the starter motor).

All basic simple stuff any car Technical should be able to do in less time than it took me to type this, and stuff that probably 99% of this Forum's reader know.

My BLIND GUESS, based on the limited reports, and not seeing the cars in question.

#1 Bad battery load grounding (Corrosion) to vehicle ground, or bad grounding of starter motor Ground.
#2 Bad starter solenoid (Burnt up contacts)

Both could easily have the symptoms of the condition of it not working after a period of time (as corrosion builds up again), and then, when starting, the high current passing through the corroded connection, heats it up (FAST), and it makes better connection -- for a time, until it gets corroded again.

Should be real obvious with a decent Infra-Red Camera !!!

Note: some have suggested intermittent fuel pump, but if that was the case, it would only affect the ability to start, and not account for the slow cranking.

Would be interesting to disconnect the fuel pump (maybe pull the fuse,) and if the electronics still allow the engine to crank, see if the car has this slow cranking within a second of so of hitting the starter.

I keep saying "YOU", but really it is your dealer's service department that should be doing all this on a 2018 car .. but it help if YOU understand what may be going on.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
is it cranking at normal speed or cranking slowly?

if its cranking slowly then what he said:agree:

if it cranking normal speed then you got a whole new can of worms.
like had a lot of rain lately?
fuel in the oil?
bad spark?(source voltage issue?)

etc.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
I tried to upload the video but it days its too big...
The starter speed is not slow, it’s normal except that it’s like if the engine don’t fire up after the first starter turns

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
The starter speed is not slow, it’s normal except that it’s like if the engine don’t fire up after the first starter turns
Try uploading on YouTube and sharing us the link

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
is it cranking at normal speed or cranking slowly?

if its cranking slowly then what he said:agree:

if it cranking normal speed then you got a whole new can of worms.
like had a lot of rain lately?
fuel in the oil?
bad spark?(source voltage issue?)

etc.
Or Fuel Pump / Fuel Pump relay (if it has one)

I saw somewhere (cannot recall where .. will need to search again) that someone had downloaded most of the later Honda Civic's Factory Service info and had it published for free on the Internet.
Maybe not legal, I don't know -- I'm not a lawyer, but it is out there.
Helpful for "Home Mechanics" who cannot justify $100's a year for a subscription, only to need one or two things a year.

If you are interested, now you know it is out there, search for it on google yourself.
Even if I could remember where it was, I don't think it would be appropriate to post the link in this forum, as the legalities are in question.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Then its most likely Fuel or Spark.
Spark is easy, pull a plug lead, plug it into any old spare spark plug, and attach it's metal thread area firmly to the chassis/engine.
Get some to crank the engine, and see if you get a spark from the moment the engine starts to tune. (what people have been doing for at least the last 50 years).

Fuel issues, best let someone who knows what they are doing investigate that .. you don't want to set your new car on fire !!!

Tip14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Sedan) White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Mine did that a month back, but left no error code. I don't know if this will help but it was 100 degree outside and the car had been sitting for 12 hours in the sun when it did the above. I assumed thats why it took it 7 times to turn over and run.
Sponsored