1.5T PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
So gets this turbo and tune for 350 ish HP? Didn't Honda stress the engine to 300? Wouldn't 350 be too much as well?
It doesnt work that way. We dont know what Honda considers to have (passed the strees test). My guess is, if the 300hp number is legit, then you can beat the hell out of the engine all day at 300 and still have it be fine. And not, run 302 HP and get a snapped rod. Which are most certainly forged.
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think 300-340 would be a nice sweet spot on these engines w/o having to worry, and having great performance.

I'm going for bang for the buck, not most HP

Afdad120108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
So just wanted to share something I found. I was a little upset that we will lose our electronic waste gate but I think I found the solution for me.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...ers/Dual-Stage-Boost-Controller-V2-Black.html

I plan to run this 2 stage boost control and wire it in to the sport button. That way I can have a dual map and run low boost in normal driving while still being able to crank up the boost in sport mode. What do you guys think?

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
So just wanted to share something I found. I was a little upset that we will lose our electronic waste gate but I think I found the solution for me.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...ers/Dual-Stage-Boost-Controller-V2-Black.html

I plan to run this 2 stage boost control and wire it in to the sport button. That way I can have a dual map and run low boost in normal driving while still being able to crank up the boost in sport mode. What do you guys think?
I'm sure it would work...I'm holding off myself the kit won't be released for a couple more months so maybe ktuner still has some tricks up their sleeve I know PRL is still doing a lot of extensive testing with this kit!

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. That is a lot of power for this little 1.5 4 cylinder engine. Exciting times to be in the 10th gen game.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
A lot of people have placed orders but they aren't shipping out till August.
I'm waiting till next year. No point with the Maine winters xD

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
After doing some Google research, it looks like general consensus is that the GTX2863 has all of the low end power of the GTX2860 with more top end. Will this possibly be an option @PRL Motorsports ?
There are MANY T25 based turbo options that will work but we did not see worth offering as part of the standard kit for a few different reasons

1. More options means more confusion for the general public. We are already seeing quite a bit of confusion with the handful of turbos that are already listed, so we figured we'd draw the line somewhere.
  2. We don't find this to be the most efficient option. Yes, the GTX2863 flows more air than the GT2860RS, but the GTX2860R GEN2 will still ultimately out flow and out spool the GTX2863R, which does not have GEN2 compressor technology.

So with the gtx2860 and .64 a/r housing, which clutch would be best? Fx350?
Turbine housing options are purely up to you and your power goals/driving style. Yes, the larger housing will allow for a bit more top-end power, which will allow you to post your sweet dyno numbers and help out in a full drag application. However, the larger housing did add notable turbo lag. The .64 A/R housing allowed for a very nice powerband and didn't prohibit too much top-end flow. We personally feel that a 6-puck ceramic disc clutch is the best option for a high(er) power 2wd/fwd application. For this reason we recommend the FX400 if going with Clutch Masters.

@PRL Motorsports I'm shooting for 400hp. Would the GTX2867R GEN2 with the larger .86 be the best or the .64.

Also will internals and a fuel upgrade be needed with that option?
Super excited for this!! Is the general consensus that after the 400 wheel mark, engine failure is bound to happen?
From your site “Anything larger than a 2876 turbocharger REQUIRES A BUILT ENGINE and additional fueling for optimal use.”
What have you identified being the weak point aside from rods? And how did you come to the conclusion that you’re near the limit at 400?
Thanks !
@PRL Motorsports what turbo would you say is best for a goal of 400whp. The GTX2860R or GTX2867R? Really interested since the GTX2860R wasn't tested.
That's incredible. I was under the impression that the GTX2860R had a very similar power curve to the GT2860RS, but with better (earlier?) spool and a sharper slope to the power curve on the top end. Based on Garret's website though, it looks like the GTX2860R can handle over 100 hp more than the GT2860RS!

If I went with the GTX2860R, would I need to sacrifice low end power? What would that curve look like? So many questions!
Any data on the GTX2860R GEN2 coming since it is the recommended one?
We feel that the GTX2867R GEN2 with .86 A/R housing will be an extremely laggy and undesirable setup at this time. These cars do not rev high enough to make use of this combo. Maybe in time when upgraded internals like an adequate valvetrain and camshafts are available this will be a better option. By looking at the dyno graph, especially our 401 whp graph, we can see that the factory camshafts are a limiting factory. Keep in mind that we DID make 401 whp with this turbo and small turbine housing.

We are trying to tell our customers not to worry about a peak power number but the overall powerband. The base, cast wheel GT2860RS disco potato turbo almost made 400 whp with the large housing, and even made comparable power with the small housing, which allowed for a MUCH better powerband. Though we have not tested the GTX2860R GEN, this turbo will spool better than both options being discussed and will flow quite a bit more air than its cast wheel GT2860RS brother, pushing it somewhere near that 400 whp marker we have already seen. For this reason, we would urge customers to consider this/these options, rather than the GTX2867R GEN2.

As for fueling, logs showed that the factory fuel system is tapped out everywhere in terms of fuel injectors and fuel pump(s). We have a few tricks up our sleeves here.

Is all of this primarily for the Si or would the Sport be able to handle this? and I'm not the best on fuels, but I'm assuming since it wasn't mentioned [as far as I read] that 91 wouldn't suffice? or are there numbers for 91? :p
All data thus far has been for/on the Si platform. Non-Si platforms will handle a bit less power (unsure of how much at this time) due to minor differences are in engine internals, such as connecting rods and compression ratio(s). Also, ECU tuning/coding is a bit different between the Si and Non-Si chassis. @KTuner will be working on a solution Non-Si guys. These numbers are with 93 octane and some ethanol blend fueling depending on which graphs you are looking at. There should be info in/around the graphs on this. 91 octane fuel can be used, but slightly lower levels are to be expected.

Will this work with the PRL catted downpipe? Or is the assumption that one would go catless since this is marked for off-road use only.
Turbo kits come standard with big turbo-specific downpipes due to the different turbine outlet flange size and location.

Where are the track times?

I would love to see back to back real life track runs.
We have not been to the yet with this setup, but will post when we do! :)

Would an upgraded exhaust yield gains with the big turbo kit?
Popular opinion has been that the stock SI exhaust is not a limiting factor, but nobody has been up to 400whp until recently AFAIK.....
We did pull the exhaust off for the last couple of pulls on the dyno, but still did not see any notable gains.

Did you guys ever break the 400 wheel mark?? @PRL Motorsports
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results 401%20hp%20Civic%20X_zpslb96s8ke

;)

It's more so the torque you need to worry about these larger turbos oddly enough will take some strain off the bottom end with the rods since it's shifting the torque curve a bit higher in the rpm range and not that massive torque spike early on with the stock turbo. Regardless though yeah I'd say if you want 400+ def think about internals

My plan is this kit tuned conservatively 350-360hp or so and then once fuel and internals upgrades come out turn it up next year!
No one know what they can handle. My prediction, around 550hp/450tq while being mostly reliable.
It doesnt work that way. We dont know what Honda considers to have (passed the strees test). My guess is, if the 300hp number is legit, then you can beat the hell out of the engine all day at 300 and still have it be fine. And not, run 302 HP and get a snapped rod. Which are most certainly forged.
I think 300-340 would be a nice sweet spot on these engines w/o having to worry, and having great performance.

I'm going for bang for the buck, not most HP
300-350 whp on the Si should be a reasonably safe number, though our car is still going strong at 400+ whp! ;) It is still too early to really tell what the limits are going to be. We will need multiple cars with different driving styles collectively find "limits."
is this worth it on a EX-T Sedan :imnew::imnew:
Yes. :)

We have a few tricks up our sleeves, as well as @KTuner ! ;)
Sponsored