1.5T PRL Motorsports Bolt-On Big Turbo Upgrade Kit

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Apple to oranges, really. I'd recommend to look towards flex fuel (and a clutch if you haven't already) if you are looking to increase low end torque.
Thanks, I will do so. I am considering the same turbo upgrade as you as one of my options moving forward, but am not sure if the low end feel would be right for me (don't want to sacrifice driveability). Would you say that the 2860R is still capable of a good amount of power on the low end? The Stage 1 low end is really just my common reference point for comparison - as long as the turbo is capable of a little more than the low end power on that tune, I think that I'd be pretty happy with it.
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
**Insert all dynos read differently disclaimer here**

Derek and I ended up with 354.5whp at about 6800RPM with 24lbs of boost on an E30 blend before we maxed out capacity of the factory fueling system while maintaining a conservatively safe AFR. It is worth noting this is only about 15whp more than what we achieved on 93 octane alone. The turbo has a lot more in it than what the factory fueling system can provide for. We are still experimenting with Ktuner to see if we can get any more out of it, while we wait for the aftermarket to provide upgraded fueling options.

Peak torque (345ft lbs) was reached at about 4300 RPM, something the factory rods were sure to appreciate compared to what the stock turbo does to them.

The turbo spools VERY well, I don't think anyone would dare complain of any boost lag.

Contrary to what some reported before kits started shipping, it does not include a boost controller of any kind. Without one, you are limited to wastegate pressure of about 14psi.

I'm using a Cortex electronic boost controller for SIRHC Labs. I had never used this product before, but have been impressed with it so far. Notably it allows me to maintain boost by gear, RPM, speed, etc. The controller also can be configured to handle methanol injection, something I am not taking advantage of. @kshawn ;)

A manual or electronic boost controller is fine, but you'll definitely want one of the two.
sold!!! link?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mr._Krabs,_losing_his_arms_on_purpose.gif

That price tho... I could use a meth flow sensor. At the moment I'm running without fail-safes
Well if you want most of the features you lose with the non electronic wastegate then you need to fork up that $$$ to get a boost controller that will give back those features.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, I will do so. I am considering the same turbo upgrade as you as one of my options moving forward, but am not sure if the low end feel would be right for me (don't want to sacrifice driveability). Would you say that the 2860R is still capable of a good amount of power on the low end? The Stage 1 low end is really just my common reference point for comparison - as long as the turbo is capable of a little more than the low end power on that tune, I think that I'd be pretty happy with it.
Definitely no sacrifices in drivability. It's not a huge snail that you have to wait around on for it to spool while cruising around town. :thumbsup:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Mr._Krabs,_losing_his_arms_on_purpose.gif

That price tho... I could use a meth flow sensor. At the moment I'm running without fail-safes
We are a SIRHC Labs dealer and can definitely help you out with some special pricing. :drive:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely no sacrifices in drivability. It's not a huge snail that you have to wait around on for it to spool while cruising around town. :thumbsup:
Awesome. Are you planning on building your engine, or do you feel confident that you're ok for the long term?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome. Are you planning on building your engine, or do you feel confident that you're ok for the long term?
I feel very comfortable at current power levels, and would not be hesitant to bump it up to 400whp if we get the fueling issue taken care of. Nobody has reported a blown engine over 400whp yet. That doesn't mean that if we get a bunch of 400whp 1.5T Civics on the street they are all going to last. There is a line there somewhere, but we haven't found it yet. :)

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
We are a SIRHC Labs dealer and can definitely help you out with some special pricing. :drive:
Just have to survive spendsmas first ;) Aiming for spring. I'll keep that in mind tho, thanks!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I feel very comfortable at current power levels, and would not be hesitant to bump it up to 400whp if we get the fueling issue taken care of. Nobody has reported a blown engine over 400whp yet. That doesn't mean that if we get a bunch of 400whp 1.5T Civics on the street they are all going to last. There is a line there somewhere, but we haven't found it yet. :)
Well if no one else takes the leap to extra fuel, before spring. I'll be going VP m1 for the meth. And at the same time going with the PRL kit. Gtx 2860r

Haven't figured out if I want the .64 or .86 yet...

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm hoping that PRL comes out with an electronic wastegate option. I know that they'd previously mentioned looking into one.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm hoping that PRL comes out with an electronic wastegate option. I know that they'd previously mentioned looking into one.
That would be nice. Eman used his but had to machine the cylinder head to make room.
Sponsored