PRL big turbo kit

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am planning to go on PRL big turbo kit on my sport hatch 6M, my concern is if it is safe to do so?
I know that hatch has a weaker rod and can it handles the raised power from Big turbo?

I dont push my car insane, I just enjoy the building process and occasionally track the car. other than that, I drive it quite gentle.

anyone that has a hatch back with prl big turbo that can chime in?
Sponsored

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
I am planning to go on PRL big turbo kit on my sport hatch 6M, my concern is if it is safe to do so?
I know that hatch has a weaker rod and can it handles the raised power from Big turbo?

I dont push my car insane, I just enjoy the building process and occasionally track the car. other than that, I drive it quite gentle.

Thanks for inquiring about our big turbo kit for your hatch. There is one known turbo kit on a hatch out in the wild currently. We got a chance to talk to the guy that owns it in NC this past weekend and is running a custom tune, is capable of almost 300hp, and he's quite happy with how he has it.

xmarleyx06

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Hey man, congrats on your plans. All i will say is the following: i habe heard of alot of blown motors, rods exct that you do not see online. The turbo kits out there are great.. just dont cut corners.. our rods are very weak.. i know of 4 people thay have blown on stock turbo with full bolt ons and e85. I would recommend lsd and some internals. Best of luck

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks everyone, looks like it is not as straight forward as I thought..
how expensive a lsd tran? any suggestion on what I should be going with?
As much as I appreciate the big turbo power, I wouldnt want to blown the motor.

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
You do not "need" an lsd, but it is a nice upgrade. This can be purchased from 700 to 1000 dollars(depending on brand) and installed in a few hours by a trained tech. Many of us never had the luxury of lsds in the past, as they were uncommon in 99% of the civic models until more recent years. We have many non-Si customers running our kit with great success.

As far as blown motors, there may have been 2 out of over 75 kits that we know of that installed our turbo kit, both weren't kit related. The benefit of our turbo kit vs a stock replacement style is the fact your torque curve moves, this is easier on your stock rods. The failures we personally see and hear about are mostly on stock replacement or modified turbo upgrades, mainly because those style turbos you have to ramp the boost in early which gives you a high peak torque in order to achieve a reasonable hp.

We always recommend keeping power goals in your budget, if your power goals are X then we will recommend you perform X mods on your car. You cannot simply say, "I want 400 plus wheel hp and assume because X did it that you will also be fine doing it."
Sponsored