PRL intake as the only mod? No tunes ect.

street937

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got a new 2021 CTR 6 days ago and was wondering how the PRL hvi intake would do on its own? I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews / claims where people say it gives it a bump in horsepower and others that say it gives it less horsepower if you don’t have a tune with it. I don’t wanna tune my car or do much else to it in case something goes wrong I can just remove it real quick and keep my warranty. I’m more interested in it for the sound rather than any performance gain but I also don’t wanna lose any performance to get better sound. Also with PRL intake only would it throw any check engine lights or be bad for the car in any way?
Sponsored

Nad

First Name
Ngadiran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
As long as you get the street MAF housing, you don't need calibration. It probably gains 10 to 15 hp (not much). If you get the Race MAF housing version, it requires calibration using Hondata or Ktuner. Race Maf is still back order until mid July.

Simplex123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP FK8
Country flag
Got a new 2021 CTR 6 days ago and was wondering how the PRL hvi intake would do on its own? I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews / claims where people say it gives it a bump in horsepower and others that say it gives it less horsepower if you don’t have a tune with it. I don’t wanna tune my car or do much else to it in case something goes wrong I can just remove it real quick and keep my warranty. I’m more interested in it for the sound rather than any performance gain but I also don’t wanna lose any performance to get better sound. Also with PRL intake only would it throw any check engine lights or be bad for the car in any way?
I'm looking to do the exact thing myself. Only looking for some more induction noise from the engine as I have a 19 without the sound pumped into the cabin.

Does anyone have any drive by/roller shots of the PRL HVI by itself with stock exhaust? All I've found on Youtube are stationary revs or with an exhaust.
@PRL Motorsports ??

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
The prl hvi induction noise itself makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.

You wont lose power and the power gain is negligible. Sound is 100% worth the money

GameR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R, 2016 Tacoma Off-Road
Country flag
The prl hvi induction noise itself makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.

You wont lose power and the power gain is negligible. Sound is 100% worth the money
I completely agree. This is my only mod with no tune and I have zero regrets.

BoostAzulFK8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boostblue Type R/ 1988 Honda CRX Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I waited to get my PRL intake until the tune. I instead bought the KN filter and it makes a small bump in sound. I too have also heard losing HP after adding an intake without a tune.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I waited to get my PRL intake until the tune. I instead bought the KN filter and it makes a small bump in sound. I too have also heard losing HP after adding an intake without a tune.
Most intakes end up in a loss of power, notable exceptions are the PRL HVI and Eventuri. The main reason is because the rest heat soak too easily, being open box designs or being made of metal. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the tune.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
For what you want the PRL is your best intake to go with. Retains a lot of similarities with the stock housing while adding noise.

If you are just looking for performance then staying with the OE housing is your best bet and dropping in a K&N filter. The reason the OE housing out performs most intakes is because it creates a GOOD seal with the hood to keep hot engine bay air from entering into the intake. My PRL does a decent job but still isn't as good as a seal as the OE housing, something I want to work on next.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Dont get hung up on the intake you select (other than injen with the smaller than OE maf diameter).. They're all going to perform the same for the 99%.. The real secret to power is to not even use the air box portion. Proper heat retention techniques have prevented higher AITs. People are figuring out that closing the hoods on 500+ are loosing 20-25whp.. the air box inlet size over the radiator are designed for 300hp, not 4 5 or 600 hp.

But get your intake for turbo noises, filter, takeda, prl all noise makers

GameR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R, 2016 Tacoma Off-Road
Country flag
I don't have any way to capture the sound. The videos trying to capture the sound from inside of the cabin don't really do it justice. This video sounds about right from outside of the car though.

Deleted member 51112

I did the Stage 1 PRL and noticed a slightly better throttle response (no tune) and the lifetime panel air filter lets you hear just a bit of turbo whirl on decel over stock. They claim 7 hp bump but really I don't buy that, you don't gain horsepower without tuning so their dyno results were likely from another variable like heat soak, etc.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most intakes end up in a loss of power, notable exceptions are the PRL HVI and Eventuri. The main reason is because the rest heat soak too easily, being open box designs or being made of metal. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the tune.
Mr. Kefi,
Your advice is based on years of experience and not challenging that here, got it that heat soaking is reason for losses on all but PRL HVI and Eventuri (that I think plays best with their matching turbo inlet pipe?).

Question for you is, the Bosch OEM ECU is good at optimizing (balancing but not exceeding) programmed values.
How do you tell that ECU ‘keep power steady regardless’ aspect apart from ‘your mod didn’t try to change power’ that was ECU compensated.
Ultimately the answer may be that power mod or not, you won’t see any positive results without a tune but could see negative (power loss) with or without a tune?
Please advise, correct, lead on sir, thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL intake as the only mod? No tunes ect. 852F14E2-6C7C-4C37-AAC8-B35223AD344D

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mr. Kefi,
Your advice is based on years of experience and not challenging that here, got it that heat soaking is reason for losses on all but PRL HVI and Eventuri (that I think plays best with their matching turbo inlet pipe?).

Question for you is, the Bosch OEM ECU is good at optimizing (balancing but not exceeding) programmed values.
How do you tell that ECU ‘keep power steady regardless’ aspect apart from ‘your mod didn’t try to change power’ that was ECU compensated.
Ultimately the answer may be that power mod or not, you won’t see any positive results without a tune but could see negative (power loss) with or without a tune?
Please advise, correct, lead on sir, thanks!

852F14E2-6C7C-4C37-AAC8-B35223AD344D.jpeg
It’s a hard thing to tell. One way is turn up the targets further than it’s capable of doing so and then swap in the part. I’m skeptical on whether or not intakes ever add power, but I know their heatsoak properties are critical for retaining power. There’s tables in the ECU that act as a ceiling for the turbos compression ratio based on the temp at the MAF sensor.