Possible SI dud?

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Although I couldn't capture audio, I can be a little more specific being it just happened this morning. I was in 2nd about to shift into 3rd around 3700-4000 rpms as I completed the shift and began to let off the gas to slow down I heard that same whining sound again. It was only after that shift into second did this noise start occurring with no gas applied in 3rd gear. The feel of my clutch during that shift into 3rd feels like a great amount of pressure is being exerted on the clutch as I try to release. I'm not sure if that's just because my rpms are rather high in a low gear. I hope that all makes sense and will clarify if need be.
I'm a little confused, were you accelerating and shifting from 2nd->3rd? If so why were you letting off the gas? You mention it was AFTER a shift into second?

If you could clarify if you were downshifting from 3rd->2nd and engine breaking or if you were accelerating from 2nd->3rd. If you were accelerating usually you get back on the gas as you let off the clutch.

Also, if you are downshifting are you rev matching? If you are going from 3rd at 2500rpm to 2nd at 4k rpms you should blip the throttle after the clutch is depressed to match the revs. Sometimes this is hard unless you practice heal toe shifting if you are in traffic but it's generally good practice if you have the ability to rev match as it will reduce wear on synchro's clutch etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ardbuhl

ardbuhl

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a little confused, were you accelerating and shifting from 2nd->3rd? If so why were you letting off the gas? You mention it was AFTER a shift into second?

If you could clarify if you were downshifting from 3rd->2nd and engine breaking or if you were accelerating from 2nd->3rd. If you were accelerating usually you get back on the gas as you let off the clutch.

Also, if you are downshifting are you rev matching? If you are going from 3rd at 2500rpm to 2nd at 4k rpms you should blip the throttle after the clutch is depressed to match the revs. Sometimes this is hard unless you practice heal toe shifting if you are in traffic but it's generally good practice if you have the ability to rev match as it will reduce wear on synchro's clutch etc.
Sorry I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd at about 4K rpms. *Time passes* cruising along in third but some slow ass person is in front of me so I let off the gas while in 3rd to slow down a bit and that's when the whining begins.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
If you can get it to happen reliably it might be worth bringing it to the dealer, I can't think of anything in normal operation that would cause that specific behavior.

OP
OP
ardbuhl

ardbuhl

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can get it to happen reliably it might be worth bringing it to the dealer, I can't think of anything in normal operation that would cause that specific behavior.
Not that I want to continue possibly damaging my car, but on my way home I'll let 2nd go high again during a shift into 3rd just to see if that's the culprit.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Gonna have to record it , but the clutch shouldn't be hard to press. It's a very light clutch

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Sorry I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd at about 4K rpms. *Time passes* cruising along in third but some slow ass person is in front of me so I let off the gas while in 3rd to slow down a bit and that's when the whining begins.
To what speed did you slow down, while in third? Might be that you simply needed to downshift... (Although "whining" wouldn't normally be the kind of sound you'd get if you were lugging...)

devert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Try to test drive another Honda civic Si, or another Manual civic in the parking lot..

It it doesn't have the issue, it probably needs to be fixed.

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (grey, sedan), 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would suggest that if you have any friends or family that can drive stick well, you ask them to sit in the car with you to make sure you're shifting properly and to teach you things that you may not know. my 2017 Si is my third manual vehicle and i can admit that i'm still not a master at it yet. learning in person will be much easier than trying to read what's going on and put that learning to physical experience.

OP
OP
ardbuhl

ardbuhl

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright everyone, had my father, a 30 year veteran of manual transmissions, drive the car after I drove him around and this noise occurred while both of us were driving. Now it seems to occur in nearly every gear getting progressively softer as I climb the gears. Any time I let off the gas this whining/cranking noise begins and the only way to get rid of the noise is to reapply the gas. No lights have come on in the car indicating a problem, but I am giving the salesperson a call today to get something figured out. Again, the noise only happens when I let off the gas. (So the noise technically occurs during a shift only because of the brief let off from the gas, after gas is reapplied, this noise seems to disappear.) There are no reasons to believe performance has been affected as the response of the car is still immediate. I will update everyone later today when I get in contact with the dealership.

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (grey, sedan), 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright everyone, had my father, a 30 year veteran of manual transmissions, drive the car after I drove him around and this noise occurred while both of us were driving. Now it seems to occur in nearly every gear getting progressively softer as I climb the gears. Any time I let off the gas this whining/cranking noise begins and the only way to get rid of the noise is to reapply the gas. No lights have come on in the car indicating a problem, but I am giving the salesperson a call today to get something figured out. Again, the noise only happens when I let off the gas. (So the noise technically occurs during a shift only because of the brief let off from the gas, after gas is reapplied, this noise seems to disappear.) There are no reasons to believe performance has been affected as the response of the car is still immediate. I will update everyone later today when I get in contact with the dealership.
Yeah I would take it in. That doesn't sound right.

Ricoxii

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar Silver Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like they beat on your car from the dealer

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
To me this sounds like the gear lash(spacing between the gears) is off inside the transmission, possibly the final drive if it is consistent in every gear. Should definitely get them to correct it, but I doubt you'll have any issues short-term. Long term would cause excessive wear and tear. Could also be a bad bearing inside the transmission.

BigEasy026

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To me this sounds like the gear lash(spacing between the gears) is off inside the transmission, possibly the final drive if it is consistent in every gear. Should definitely get them to correct it, but I doubt you'll have any issues short-term. Long term would cause excessive wear and tear. Could also be a bad bearing inside the transmission.
I completely agree that it sounds like gear lash on deceleration.

OP
OP
ardbuhl

ardbuhl

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought gear lash occurred when the car wasn't in gear?
Sponsored