Initial impressions 18 Si coupe and possible mods.

JN259

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 3 series soon to be replaced
Country flag
I picked up my 18 Civic Si Coupe in WOP Wednesday and so far I love it. A lot of people have complained about sound system quality and while I agree that it is nothing worth bragging about, it is far from the complete garbage many members describe it as. Interior comfort is good, I find the seats comfortable, though lacking lumbar support. This may just be an issue with how I fit in the car at 6’5” and 220lbs and really doesn’t seem to bother me over this first 150 miles but we will see as time goes on. I find that it has sufficient power for around town and is great on twisties as it feels plenty powerful for tight corners but not powerful enough to feel dangerous. My only complaint so far is the color matching between bumper covers and the main body. The rear bumper especially is notably more “yellow” than the rest of the car. The dealer shut me down pretty quick when I brought it up and it seems like a tough battle to fight to get it resolved so I guess I will live with it.

Up front, I have never modded a car before. So everything that follows is based solely off of my research on these forums as well as other resources and my own knowledge of automotive technology. My major considerations when considering modifications are cost, drivability, impact on experience, and reliability. I will break my potential mods into three categories as follows.

Technology and comfort:
Remote start: cost estimate from shop $600 inst.
Upgrade sound system: $pending
Window tint: $200

Performance:
Tune $650
Exhaust: $500-1200
Intake: $350
Wheels: $800-1000
Tires: $800

Cosmetic:
Led headlight bulbs: $70
Yellow fog lights: $?
Led headlight conversion: $700-1000
HFP “body” kit: $1000 installed

I live in eastern Washington and park outside so a remote start would be great, $600 isn’t bad but we will see if I decided I want it. Again, the sound system is more than livable but an upgrade would be nice, however the sky is the limit here so it will likely be some time before I jump on this. Window tint will be done soon. Any addition of wheels and tires will be done next spring as I will be throwing Blizzaks on the stock rims. I would likely do exhaust and intake at the same time if I end up doing them and like the PRL offerings but I really don’t know if I’ll end up doing this. I will likely get a KTuner or Hondata next spring/summer. I like the rather tame look of the HFP kit and if the wheels, suspension and badging weren’t lame imo I’d just get the whole kit. I would like the upgrade of LED bulbs but have read some people critisizing the amount of waste light thrown at other drivers so I’ll have to research this more. LED headlights would be great but at the cost I am not certain it is worth it at this point. Really haven’t done much research into the yellow fog light mod but I like the look of it so I will probably end up doing that. Not sure if I want to drop a $$$$ of money on this since it is fun to drive as it is, but who knows.

I’m sure it is noticed that I did not include any suspension mods here. While I am strongly considering the EIBACH pro kit for looks, I am really enjoying not scraping on things and I’m sure the increased ground clearance will be good for snow so I will have to think about that one more.

Well this is it for now, let me know if you have any thoughts or tips.
Sponsored

jjm0315

Maximum effort
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I’m in a similar position. Minus the remote start(garage kept in TN, so I’m good), I have a similar list. My boyfriend suggests CAI and Ktuner/Hondata first, but that’s only after tint.
However, I am enjoying it as is, and not in a huge rush to do a ton immediately(just picked it up 10.5.18)
So we’ll see how quickly I side down the slippery slope of mods.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Sounds like you have done your research. My advice would be to wait until a couple of thousand miles to make sure that your clutch and brakes are "broke in" properly. I see that you didn't list a new clutch. If you increase the power output of the engine as much as your mod list would suggest, then you're going to need a stronger clutch.

OP
OP

JN259

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah the KTuner/hondata would be first, let’s you really take advantage of the other upgrades as well as being a great upgrade in its own right. Clutch is definitely on the list at some point, but for the time being I don’t intend to push mods past the point the clutch can handle solidly, +20-30hp from what I understand. So basically hondata and mayyyybeee cai. I also don’t intend to start missing in any way until at least next spring/early summer. No point in starting during winter and that gives me time to save.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
If you increase the power output of the engine as much as your mod list would suggest, then you're going to need a stronger clutch.
If you just do the +6 boost HONDADATA tune do you think your clutch will slip??

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
It's good you are waiting on the stereo upgrade. Currently, iDatalink does not have a Maestro interface to allow the use of a quality, aftermarket head unit to replace the stock one and keep OEM functionality at 100%. They just released, or are releasing the gen 9 si interface and are working on the GenX now.

OP
OP

JN259

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After driving around for almost a month, I have more thoughts to add. My long term target for power is around 300hp/300lb-ft tq. Not super preferential on this number. Nor did I select it for a personal reason, rather my research seems to indicate this to be the upper limit that the stock internals and fuel system can sustainably and safely maintain. My new plan is this, I will start with a Ktuner, and flexfuel upgrade. These allow for an essentially plug and play boost to the limit the stock clutch can handle, as well as providing a necessary foundation for stage 2, and 3, also I’ll put on a strut brace. Stage 2 is going to be the most expensive, we will replace the full exhaust system, front and down pipe from prl, catback tbd. PRL CAI, clutchmaster fx300(don’t think a fx400 is necessary at my power level target), light weight wheels and summer UHP tires. The last set of non cosmetic upgrades (stage 3) would be the Wilwood BBK, and if I can find them, a good set of coil overs.

Cosmetically, id like a type r front bumper cover and carbon lip (think icon), a rear diffuser, gloss black roof wrap, carbon roof caps, window tint, LED headlights and taillights, smoked side markers, and possibly a carbon wrapped or carbon fiber stock Si coupe spoiler, finally, I’m thinking red type r “H logos” and a badge delete otherwise. For wheels I’m looking at a set of FlowOne F2 in bronze 19/8.5 at 45 offset. Trying to get a flush look. For interior mods, buddyclub Dshape steering wheel, type R shift knob, possibly, and I mean possibly, katzkin interior, led interior lights, and a sound system upgrade.

This is where my mind is at at this point.
Stage 1 is targeted for spring, with stage 2 targeted for the spring after, and the cosmetic mods between the two. Stage three as needed after stage 2.

Stage 1 should be about $1000 for a flex fuel kit, Ktuner, and strutbrace.
Stage 2 should be about $3000 for PRL intake, intercooler, and Front/downpipe, catback exhaust, and clutch for parts. I can do the work myself but we will see if I do.
Stage three: will be about the same cost as stage 2, but will only include a bbk and coilovers.

Wheels and tires will run $2000. The cosmetic upgrades will run another $1500-$2000. Interior mods, not including sound, will run about $500-2000 if I do the katzkin.
All in all we are looking at so all in we look at $11000-13000 for everything. An awful lot but if I go through with it, it will be quite a nice ride. I’m not certain I’ll go all the way through with it, or even keep the car long enough to finish this, but if I do, for less than the price of the upgrade to a type r, I would have a personalized car that is highly competitive.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
If you just do the +6 boost HONDADATA tune do you think your clutch will slip??
When I had my '18 SI (before the R), I ran the +6PSI as a daily driver for about 3-4 months. Relatively aggressive driving. No clutch slipping ever.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
all tat shit sound like it gonna be expensive! happy tuning

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Get a set of somewhat light weight wheels and tires will help the car's real world performance quite a bit .
Sponsored