• Undecided

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Always interesting to get a breakdown of auto vs manual owners on an enthusiast site. Usually much more manual owners than in real life.

Me personally I'm sticking with tried and true manual. Are you planning to get a CVT or manual, or undecided? Take a vote pls.
Sponsored

yoyoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic ex-l
CVT for me. I expect most people who post here are manual types but I'm not about that life I guess.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
I've been driving a manual since 1979, but I'm considering a CVT for my next car. My wife has a CVT in her Accord, and it's a very nice transmission imho.

cae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grom
Unless Honda somehow forgot how to make the best manual in the business when designing the 10th gen, that's where I'm headed. The slight MPG bump isn't worth the added cost and fun loss for me.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I spend time in traffic, plus my wife has some input. I was thinking maybe I could swing a manual and then the other day I was in traffic for 1.5 hours. If I had a manual then, I would've blown my brains out.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I will go CVT simply because I drive in SF Bay area traffic about 2500-3000 miles a month, that's a lot pushing on the clutch for my old legs.

Plus I ride dirt bikes and sometimes get hurt and do CrossFit 5 days a week and on leg days I'm lucky to get my old crusty self in my CR-V at times.

So no manual for me.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^^^^^ @jks How you figure?

OP
OP

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The last two choices are both "undecided".
Yea they are but I wanted to separate out the reasons why someone might still be undecided - whether they're just generally undecided or because they haven't yet had experience with the CVT. Seems like a lot of people still haven't gotten to try Honda's CVT out.

Looks like a 2:1 ratio so far for CVT:manual.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the sake of clarity, I have had a vehicle with CVT before, although not a Honda CVT. I had a 2012 Nissan Versa and it had a CVT, at the time it was the cheapest most economical vehicle I could get.

I go through a lot of vehicles driving so much so I have had more than a few.

Now fortunately I can get another Honda to add to my stable and I am pretty pumped about the new Civic!

I am quite confident that Honda's CVT will be superior to the Nissan, but I got rid of the Versa with about 30,000 miles on it and I did not have any issues with the transmission, I know others have.

I am still not quite sure how I come across as "undecided" :dunno: :feedback:

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
For the sake of clarity, I have had a vehicle with CVT before, although not a Honda CVT. I had a 2012 Nissan Versa and it had a CVT, at the time it was the cheapest most economical vehicle I could get.

Now fortunately I can get another Honda to add to my stable and I am pretty pumped about the new Civic!

I am quite confident that Honda's CVT will be superior to the Nissan, but I got rid of the Versa with about 30,000 miles on it and I did not have any issues with the transmission, I know others have.

I've heard that the Nissan CVT is supposed to be bad. If the reviews of the CVT on the Accord and HR-V are right, you should be plenty happy with the Civic CVT, which should be the most advanced one yet and tuned for even sportier performance than the other models.

DarkTimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Civic Hatch MT
CVT

I have owned a subcompact Manual for 32 years. Great in CO snow. My '98 Civic Hatchback has safely gotten me over many CO mtn passes in Blizzards. Its an absolute blast to drive on mtn switchbacks. Manual transmissions are underappreciated.

Unfortunately, reality has set in...my left knee is wearing out and I now live down in the CO Front Range with city driving. I will cry when my '98 Civic Hatchback departs.

Sadly, I frequently encounter people driving automatics who do not know how to use D2 & DL when driving in snow. IMHO, everyone should learn to drive a manual before driving an automatic.

CVT Hatchback Touring Sport better be fun to drive, otherwise, I will look for something else.

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
Will purchase the CVT mainly for 3 reasons:
Slow stop and go traffic where I live
I want Honda Sensing, I don't believe you can get it with a manual
Age...in mid 50's and don't want to be pumping the clutch all the time

I went through this decision process when I bought my 2006 TSX, wanted the stick but bought the auto and remember being very glad I did many many times!

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag

My mom's old car was a 2008ish Nissan Altima with a CVT and it was terrible. At that point I thought I would never want a CVT car. Then I test drove the CR-Z I bought and realized that it's really just Nissan's CVT that is terrible. Honda's CVTs are so much better than what I experienced in my mom's Altima and when I went and test drove a few Nissans before deciding on the civic.
Sponsored