Please list what exhaust you have, and your experience with it.

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have OEM exhaust, and I love it.. I customize , I did remove the front small resonator and the center back resonator, I got cated Downpipe GRP, this combo sounds amazing to me, deep bass sound not raspy at all, and the drone is not bad . With these modifications the sound level did increase and is not obnoxious loud.
The oem exhaust system is very good, the whole exhaust is straight pipe, from the resonators to the muffler, all is high flow. Including the muffler are like resonator straight pipe, so basically is not restrictive or minimal restrictive. all is 2.5 inches.
The only restriction on the oem exhaust system is the downpipe, is double catalytic converter ceramic. (See pictures)

Replacing the oem exhaust I don't see to much reason for replace it. Maybe if you are looking for reduce the weight or maybe you considering 15 more horse power in all the range of rpm is going to justify the overpriced aftermarket exhaust, but i don't think so. You can be really louder with OEM too if you remove all the resonators and muffler.

All the resonators and muffler are made of the same way in OEM (High flow)See attachment for understand what I trying to explain with whole straight pipe. ( See pictures)

Some aftermarket exhaust have a regular muffler and those are restrictive ( deed ends mufflers see picture)

Course many people also buy aftermarket exhaust for the look and searching for a particular sounds, something for sure, is impossible sounds deep bass and loud without drone in the cabin , the only way is add resonator and what the resonators does is damping or attenuated certain frequency but if you add resonators for this end you will be sounds quit.

That's why oem exhaust is really good and is designed for minimal loose in performance.

(You can see on the picture how small is the exit of the exhaust from the turbo, you don't need to have 3 or more inches on the piping) the changes in hp will be minimal and the money for 3 inches will be more than $1000.

Just my 2 cents.

OEM Muffler.JPG

Oem Samall front resonator inside.JPG

OEM small front resonator.JPG

Regular muffler.JPG

Oem cat downpipe.JPG

oem donwpipe.JPG

turbo exhaust.jpg
So if I understand correctly, you eliminated 2 resonators and added a catted downpipe and love the sound. Can you share how much this mod costs and some videos to see what it sounds like?

I am looking for more sound but still tolerable as a daily driver. I am 37 so not into the obnoxious/annoying loud sound.
Sponsored

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah the HKS with catless does have that but it’s very tolerable for me personally. Imo once you go catless there will always be drone with any exhaust setup. Just depends what you (and the wife/girlfriend haha) can tolerate.
I’ve had Invidia/Remus/Thermal/Milltek(Road+ and Race)/ and now HKS all with catless dp. HKS imo is the best for a deeper sounding tone with minimal drone. Cruising for me is pretty nice. Remus was also the other ones with the least to almost no drone, but was super raspy with catless. Invidia = drone city, but beautiful deep sound. Milltek Road+ was pretty nice but had decent drone not too crazy. Milltek Race was loud and raspy similar to Remus rasp and had decent drone as well. Thermal is actually one I liked but droned oddly only at 2500 and 3500 rpm, so for daily cruising hated to always have to play around those rpms.
I’m using OEM fp right now with HKS / catless so I’m hoping the fp will give it a bit more growl and more pronounced gurgles/pops at the lower gears
Sounds like you have really tinkered with different combos and brands. Can you share a video of what it sounds like now? Have you settled on this or are you saying that you will be swapping the OEM frontpipe to an to an aftermarket frontpipe?

JSmoothBui

Jims_CTR
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - 16626 - Championship White
Country flag
Sounds like you have really tinkered with different combos and brands. Can you share a video of what it sounds like now? Have you settled on this or are you saying that you will be swapping the OEM frontpipe to an to an aftermarket frontpipe?
Can’t seem to send the video here. On my instagram @Jims_CTR you can hear the HKS with RV6 catless dp. And yes, I plan to swap the OEM fp with an aftermarket (probably RV6 fp) whenever I am able to. I’m pretty much settled on the HKS. I personally really enjoy it

Re-spect

First Name
Fazil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Can’t seem to send the video here. On my instagram @Jims_CTR you can hear the HKS with RV6 catless dp. And yes, I plan to swap the OEM fp with an aftermarket (probably RV6 fp) whenever I am able to. I’m pretty much settled on the HKS. I personally really enjoy it
Very nice,My Legamax comes In tomorrow

hitch

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Yeah the HKS with catless does have that but it’s very tolerable for me personally. Imo once you go catless there will always be drone with any exhaust setup. Just depends what you (and the wife/girlfriend haha) can tolerate.
I’ve had Invidia/Remus/Thermal/Milltek(Road+ and Race)/ and now HKS all with catless dp. HKS imo is the best for a deeper sounding tone with minimal drone. Cruising for me is pretty nice. Remus was also the other ones with the least to almost no drone, but was super raspy with catless. Invidia = drone city, but beautiful deep sound. Milltek Road+ was pretty nice but had decent drone not too crazy. Milltek Race was loud and raspy similar to Remus rasp and had decent drone as well. Thermal is actually one I liked but droned oddly only at 2500 and 3500 rpm, so for daily cruising hated to always have to play around those rpms.
I’m using OEM fp right now with HKS / catless so I’m hoping the fp will give it a bit more growl and more pronounced gurgles/pops at the lower gears
I was running just the HKS with OEM DP and Front Pipe, now with full pipes there's plenty of snap, crackle and pop on upshifts and downshifts.. a LOT louder!

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
So if I understand correctly, you eliminated 2 resonators and added a catted downpipe and love the sound. Can you share how much this mod costs and some videos to see what it sounds like?

I am looking for more sound but still tolerable as a daily driver. I am 37 so not into the obnoxious/annoying loud sound.

The most expense was the downpipe, I replace because I were looking for better performance, I chose GRP because has no CEL guarantee, the price of the downpipe was around $1000, the downpipe also came whit downpipe blanket , the sound with high flow cated downpipe change a lot, get amplified and different note. The OEM downpipe is cated also but is a double ceramic catalytic converter very restrictive. Removing the resonators was cheap, ( around $50) the sound result was very similar to OEM sound a deep bass amplified , very nice, not loud at all but definitely you can feel the sound. I have a sample somewhere ( I need to find it) . A month later I ending removing all the resonators, ( this time I removed the center big one) the only I left was the two muffler on back. Now sounds louder but sill not obnoxious loud, if you step on it sound loud .
I'm 40 BTW.

Here a sample:

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I settled on the Spec L for a few reasons. I felt like with the smaller diameter tubing (still bigger than OEM), it would be quieter than the 3" units, yet offer a sportier sound and look. For me, it accomplishes both very nicely. Regarding other exhausts offering "more flow" or "less restriction," it's widely known now that even the OEM exhaust isn't a restriction... even to those of us making the max full bolt ons and a tune can offer. The Spec L looks and sounds great, is lighter in weight than most, is reasonably priced, and wont be a restriction for most. It doesn't drone either.

Hope this helps.
I absolutely love the HKS L-SPEC. It is the most aggressive look you can possible get. That double barrel shotgun ( no dolphin ) turns heads. I love the sound too. Here in Japan, my Honda dealer kind of complained about the exhaust note. He thinks it’s only going to get louder in the years to come.

This is what I’m most worried about.

Question, did you notice any power loss? Any problems maintaining high speed? I know you can get up to speed but do you feel like you can’t cruise at speed?

Dennietho

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl FK8
Country flag
Here's what my Milltek Race exhaust sounds like. I thought the Sport+ was kinda quiet, so the day I installed it I ordered the unresonated pipe.

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
does anyone have any clips of a catted DP and FP with the HKS Legamax?

Perrin67_97

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What's up all. I've been following this thread for awhile.. I appreciate all the info and experiences everyone has posted. Personally I think I've come to a decision in regards to the only issue I've ever really had which is our CTR is just to quiet with stock exhaust. I count it a huge blessing we live in a country with so many choices. And this is just my opinion. There are some beautiful mufflers out there. I personally was leaning towards the Greddy HG or Remus because of adjustability. With that being said. The gains over stock seem to all be very minimal and doesn't justify the cost to me. And I've been blessed over the last 2 years with my own CTR build. All my extra money has been going to my baby. I've installed a PRL intercooler, catted dp and fp combo, Hondata flashpro, PTP turbo blanket, and hasport rear motor mount. I've waited to do the exhaust because I heard after a few years we should have alot more to choose from. Plus it's still one of the most expensive upgrades compared to the parts I went with. Long story short I'm probably gonna go with QTP cutouts . I just want to be able to fully control and adjust like some 3 plus thousand dollar exhausts *armytrix * I'm just sharing what I'm gonna be doing to my exhaust in the next 2 months. Have to wait cause spent money on the new PRL intake.. lol I'll post once I get it done. Just hope to help others like me that have been watching every YouTube exhaust clip trying to decide which exhaust to go with. Haha and all we want is more noise!

Honda Civic 10th gen Please list what exhaust you have, and your experience with it. Screenshot_20190701-183302_Chrome

Dennietho

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
*Update to my Milltek setup
It sounded perfect unresonated with stock dp.
With a RV6 catted dp and unresonated it was loud and raspy.
Put on the center resonator and it sounded alright.
I removed the center resonater but added the front resonator which is smaller and it sounds perfect again. With this setup, it still has burbles and pops, quiet when cruising and loud when you want to be loud.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
*Update to my Milltek setup
It sounded perfect unresonated with stock dp.
With a RV6 catted dp and unresonated it was loud and raspy.
Put on the center resonator and it sounded alright.
I removed the center resonater but added the front resonator which is smaller and it sounds perfect again. With this setup, it still has burbles and pops, quiet when cruising and loud when you want to be loud.
Can you post a video of how it sounds? Curious to hear it as Ive have not heard anyone with just the front resonator and catless dp. I run the full resonated with catless.

Dennietho

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you post a video of how it sounds? Curious to hear it as Ive have not heard anyone with just the front resonator and catless dp. I run the full resonated with catless.
I'll see if I can make a video this weekend with the current exhaust setup.
Sponsored