On Gear Lockouts and how This Dealer is Handling it

Rickets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Posting this and will be updating regularly in case this can help someone out.

Bought my Sonic Gray Type R on July 31st, 2019. Currently has under 3,000 miles on it.

On 12/20 I drove my car to work as I do every day, parked it for the day and let it sit in a parking garage. When I got back in it and started it up, I got an engine light and two errors on the dash. "Emissions System Problem" and "Rev Match System Problem".

I had places to be over the holidays and needed my car so I gave my dealer a call and they told me they can take me in, no appointment needed. When I got there, I showed them my check engine light and mentioned that I was having problems with 4th gear occasionally locking me out; usually when downshifting, but sometimes upshifting as well. I didn't expect them to do anything about it, as I've had lockout issues with my Civic Sport Hatchback and they couldn't replicate the issue.

After waiting in the lobby, the tech comes in with my service advisor and they tell me that the engine light was just a sensor on the fuel evap system. If it comes back on, come back because I probably have a leak and they'll smoke the fuel tank.

But the best part was: the tech felt my 4th gear was sticky and it locked him out while he test drove it!

They told me Honda recommends replacing the transmission fluid before anything else and I needed to schedule that and come back.

12/23 - Bring the car back in on Monday morning for the flush. The service advisor tells me they're going to replace the transmission fluid and "go from there."

So I wait again. They come back and say they'd like to hold on to the car for today and see if it acts up again after the fluid is replaced. They get me a rental and I got on with my day.

I get a call later and they said it's still acting up and Honda is recommending that they drop the transmission and replace the 3rd/4th gear set. Cool, hoping this fixed my car and I can get on with loving the thing again.

1/3 - I get a call that it's ready to be picked up, so I stop at the dealership after work, chat with the service advisor briefly, and sign for my car.They told me they drove it for quite a bit and it seems the issue with 4th gear is fixed. I get in, start the car, move to get into 1st and it's suuuper stiff. So I pull out of the parking spot and drive back up to the service advisor. He calls over the tech that rebuilt my transmission and we go for a ride to see how it's acting up. After some messing with it, we get a complete lockout from first, and we discover the reverse is even worse off, with it locking out and grinding pretty consistently.

So we drive back to the dealership and I'm told I'll have to wait for a Honda District Manager to provide availability so that they can test drive the car and understand the issue themselves. Likely, they are going to have to swap the transmission for a new one.

1/7 - No call yet, but the issue with 4th gear is not yet fixed. Got a lockout going from 3rd to 4th this morning, driving normally to work.

Updates: 1/10 - Road tested the car with a higher up at the dealership. Got it to lock out on me in 4th gear once, and 3 times for him. He said the next step is to get a Honda Field Technician out here to have a look at it.

1/17 - Test drove the car with the field tech, 4th gear lockout was easy to replicate. I left the car at the dealership with them,they called Honda in California and they told me they're putting a new transmission into the car.

1/22- Picked up the car today. Reverse is locking out, I played around with 4th and 1st and they don't seem to be locking out at this time. They told me that since the new transmission is causing issues as well, they have to call Honda and ask they how to proceed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
So the dealer rebuilt the transmission and it was FUBAR'd? Man I'd have a tough time trusting them to do anything complex. Hopefully Honda just sends them a new transmission and all they have to do is swap it.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That transmission sounds like it’s marked for death. I’ve gotten lockouts on my 2018 but it’s way too infrequent to call it a true issue. At most I have notchy and crunchy shifts in 2nd and 3rd gear.

My transmission fluid will probably need to be replaced next service anyways, considering it will be close to 30K miles or somewhere in that range by the time that comes.

Hopefully for your sake they get a new transmission and just swap your crap one out with it!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Posting this and will be updating regularly in case this can help someone out.

Bought my Sonic Gray Type R on July 31st, 2019. Currently has under 3,000 miles on it.

On 12/20 I drove my car to work as I do every day, parked it for the day and let it sit in a parking garage. When I got back in it and started it up, I got an engine light and two errors on the dash. "Emissions System Problem" and "Rev Match System Problem".

I had places to be over the holidays and needed my car so I gave my dealer a call and they told me they can take me in, no appointment needed. When I got there, I showed them my check engine light and mentioned that I was having problems with 4th gear occasionally locking me out; usually when downshifting, but sometimes upshifting as well. I didn't expect them to do anything about it, as I've had lockout issues with my Civic Sport Hatchback and they couldn't replicate the issue.

After waiting in the lobby, the tech comes in with my service advisor and they tell me that the engine light was just a sensor on the fuel evap system. If it comes back on, come back because I probably have a leak and they'll smoke the fuel tank.

But the best part was: the tech felt my 4th gear was sticky and it locked him out while he test drove it!

They told me Honda recommends replacing the transmission fluid before anything else and I needed to schedule that and come back.

12/23 - Bring the car back in on Monday morning for the flush. The service advisor tells me they're going to replace the transmission fluid and "go from there."

So I wait again. They come back and say they'd like to hold on to the car for today and see if it acts up again after the fluid is replaced. They get me a rental and I got on with my day.

I get a call later and they said it's still acting up and Honda is recommending that they drop the transmission and replace the 3rd/4th gear set. Cool, hoping this fixed my car and I can get on with loving the thing again.

1/3 - I get a call that it's ready to be picked up, so I stop at the dealership after work, chat with the service advisor briefly, and sign for my car.They told me they drove it for quite a bit and it seems the issue with 4th gear is fixed. I get in, start the car, move to get into 1st and it's suuuper stiff. So I pull out of the parking spot and drive back up to the service advisor. He calls over the tech that rebuilt my transmission and we go for a ride to see how it's acting up. After some messing with it, we get a complete lockout from first, and we discover the reverse is even worse off, with it locking out and grinding pretty consistently.

So we drive back to the dealership and I'm told I'll have to wait for a Honda District Manager to provide availability so that they can test drive the car and understand the issue themselves. Likely, they are going to have to swap the transmission for a new one.

1/7 - No call yet, but the issue with 4th gear is not yet fixed. Got a lockout going from 3rd to 4th this morning, driving normally to work.
Forget having some tech at a dealership 'rebuild the transmission' they need to flat out swap it out. The tech isn't qualified for that work, which is obvious by the drive experience after the fact. People train years to work on a transmission and just focus on JUST THAT.

Press for a new transmission.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Forget having some tech at a dealership 'rebuild the transmission' they need to flat out swap it out. The tech isn't qualified for that work, which is obvious by the drive experience after the fact. People train years to work on a transmission and just focus on JUST THAT.

Press for a new transmission.
And have it installed by a different dealer. Yikes.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
My trans went at 11k and had 1-2 gear lock outs and a 1st and 2nd gear pop out that got worse over time even with flushing the fluid out and replacing back and forth with amsoil and oem. Long story short 3 months of the car hung up on a lift at the shop later after going back and forth with Honda Corp over what failed and waiting on a 3 week back ordered trans I finally got a new one. Keep pushing for that new trans. The master tech that worked on my car was a buddy of mines and even he refused to rebuild the trans and recommended total replacement with the district manager. Good luck.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My trans went at 11k and had 1-2 gear lock outs and a 1st and 2nd gear pop out that got worse over time even with flushing the fluid out and replacing back and forth with amsoil and oem. Long story short 3 months of the car hung up on a lift at the shop later after going back and forth with Honda Corp over what failed and waiting on a 3 week back ordered trans I finally got a new one. Keep pushing for that new trans. The master tech that worked on my car was a buddy of mines and even he refused to rebuild the trans and recommended total replacement with the district manager. Good luck.
Being held up for 3 months is ridiculous. I hope they gave you a loaner while your car was in the shop.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Update: ok I see its only been less than a month. But if it takes 3 or more months to resolve the below is my take.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

By now I’d have sued. I know some here may not be in that situation to be able to do that but take pleasure that there are. And I’d take absolute pleasure in it the whole way.

Easily go through the mediation and reasonable expectations clause by now.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Any single problem that causes the car to be in the shop 32 days or more is a lemon, no?

Back in 2008 my Z06 was in the shop for 31 days for a 6th gear part that was backordered. Chevy gave me a rental and cut a check for my monthly payment. It was like $1350ish.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
yea forget rebuilding, sounds like they need to swap it with new and fix whatever is going on with yours.

Dipz

First Name
Dipz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Type R
Country flag
Call the Honda Corporate # and get them involved to expedite this. Sorry you had that experience.

RallyeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Everyone saying that the timeline and how they're going about this issue is ridiculous, is ridiculous:drool:
Every manufacturer, dealer and shop with a legal tech in it has to try the cheapest things first, especially with warranty work.
They're doing right by you in that: theyve given you a legitimate timeline, listened to your concern, did what they could to truly replicate your issue and started a case with corporate to now have the trans replaced.
No one wants to do warranty work (pays less than if we were paying for the same work), which is why so many claims get swept under the proverbial rug.
Sounds like you need to keep friendly with the service advisor thats looking after your claim. The tech that performed the trans gear work would not have been an apprentice and would have done the job exactly as outlined and provided by Honda Corp.
Honda Corp. has become familiar with the type r trans problems, id be very surprised if Corp denies the swap at this point. They're handing transmissions and flywheels out like candy lately.
I hope they do that swap and everything works out mint for you OP:headbang:

OP
OP
Rickets

Rickets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updates: 1/10 - Road tested the car with a higher up at the dealership. Got it to lock out on me in 4th gear once, and 3 times for him. He said the next step is to get a Honda Field Technician out here to have a look at it.

1/17 - Test drove the car with the field tech, 4th gear lockout was easy to replicate. I left the car at the dealership with them,they called Honda in California and they told me they're putting a new transmission into the car.

1/22- Picked up the car today. Reverse is locking out, I played around with 4th and 1st and they don't seem to be locking out at this time. They told me that since the new transmission is causing issues as well, they have to call Honda and ask they how to proceed.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
jeez, what a headache. Keep us updated.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This isn't making me hopeful for bringing up the 2nd gear lockout issues I've been experiencing lately to my dealer... it's sporadic right now, but it's happened at least once in the past three days, total of 6 times.

Hopefully they figure out what the hell is wrong with your new transmission now. Sounds like bullshit.
Sponsored