Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
So this issue started a couple weeks ago except it was accompanied by a loud sound in my engine. Found out I had shaft play and a crack in my turbo. Just got it replaced today and I still have no boost. When regularly driving I only hit 0 or 1 psi and if I really push it, it will lag up to maybe 10 and then when I let off there's a very muffled blow off. I have a Mishimoto short ram intake and 27won intercooler.

I already tightened everything on the intercooler and I'm about to go out and swap the intake back to stock, though I doubt that'll do anything.

Any ideas?

Not big enough MAF housing? Bad sensor somewhere? Boost sensor (or whatever) bad? I'm honestly at a loss. I haven't been able to enjoy my car for a month and I'm trying everything possible. Even the Honda techs are completely stumped. All they can suggest now is for me to go in next week and have them check my intercooler piping for leaks.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Don't fill up the thread with insults about my pOsT hIsToRy.
Sponsored

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
turbo is likely broken, you'll need a new 1 . recommended a fresh oil change + oil filter.

some vendors are having sales atm with good packages.

*clear pics +video usually help alot more.*

OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
turbo is likely broken, you'll need a new 1 . recommended a fresh oil change + oil filter.

some vendors are having sales atm with good packages.

*clear pics +video usually help alot more.*
I stated in the description I got my turbo completely replaced today by Honda.

OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
missed that. ewg in the correct position ? can go back to where you got turbo replaced & ask them to check it out.
Same issue before and after turbo replacement. This was done by a Honda master tech. EWG is calibrated.

I'm going to find a way to do a boost leak test at home. If my intercooler came with holes I'm going to be pissed.

OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
So I made my own boost leak tester and it help up to 40 psi with no leaks at all. Not sure what's going on. If I'm not losing boost I don't know why I wouldn't build boost unless it's a faulty sensor or something. I have no idea what could be causing this, unless maybe I'm in limp mode. But I have no warning lights or anything. I'm going to try unplugging the battery for 10 minutes to see if it resets something.

If you have any suggestions or ideas as to what could make a car not produce boost, please let me know. There are no leaks but the blow off is muffled so it's almost as if the waste gate is actuating sooner.

Honda Civic 10th gen Not building boost unless I really push it 20220312_111310

OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
@gtman I meant to tag you here. This is my latest datalog. MAP seems to be super low at vaccum (about -24), waste gate may be opening too wide too soon. I did my own boost leak test and I'm not sure if it was sufficient but I didn't hear anything at 40 psi. My exhaust keeps filling from water, the dealership says it's because I'm babying it but I wonder if my exhaust could be clogged. They're going to check my IC piping this week for leaks and adjust if they need to. If that doesn't fix it I'll revert my intercooler to stock.

One of the employees at 27Won is helping me by reviewing my logs and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I know I didn't do enough research before modifying my car but I need help. This is enormously stressful and having to drive on it in-between Honda service appointments is putting me at danger of blowing another turbo.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
On your log you mostly were barely touching the accelerator. There were only a few brief seconds you went to 50% throttle or more. Here's a screen of one of those moments.

Honda Civic 10th gen Not building boost unless I really push it Capture.JPG

As you can see you basically hit the boost target. I don't have the full answer you want though regarding the wastegate. But there is one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Your knock control. What type of gas are you using? The few times you hit the gas beyond just feathering it, timing was reduced quite a bit, limiting power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Austinhr97

Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
On your log you mostly were barely touching the accelerator. There were only a few brief seconds you went to 50% throttle or more. Here's a screen of one of those moments.

Capture.JPG

As you can see you basically hit the boost target. I don't have the full answer you want though regarding the wastegate. But there is one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Your knock control. What type of gas are you using? The few times you hit the gas beyond just feathering it, timing was reduced quite a bit, limiting power.
I'm using 91, but I've reverted back to stock. When stepping on the gas it takes about 2-3 seconds to pass 0 PSI, where as I used to hit 20 psi in 2 seconds.