Noob Questions about k tuner setup.

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Maybe these questions were asked many time. I apologized, I tried searching but didn't find what I need.

I just ordered the k tuner 1.2. from vittuned for my 1.5 ex-l . I'm reading up the user manual for k tuner and it said that I need a laptop to lock the ecu. It also mentioned that it need to be online to complete locking. Does it mean I need to connect the ktuner to car then to laptop while the laptop is connected to WiFi? If my laptop needs to be online while I lock to ecu I will have some difficulty since I don't have a garage.

What are some "must set" setting in the ktuner app? I am just looking to upload the stage 2 + stock based map. Not planning custom tune or going to the track.

Is there supposed to be some special based map from vit when you buy the k tuner from him? I see people talk about vit's map for the si. Or are they just talking about custom tune?

Thanks
Sponsored

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe these questions were asked many time. I apologized, I tried searching but didn't find what I need.

I just ordered the k tuner 1.2. from vittuned for my 1.5 ex-l . I'm reading up the user manual for k tuner and it said that I need a laptop to lock the ecu. It also mentioned that it need to be online to complete locking. Does it mean I need to connect the ktuner to car then to laptop while the laptop is connected to WiFi? If my laptop needs to be online while I lock to ecu I will have some difficulty since I don't have a garage.

What are some "must set" setting in the ktuner app? I am just looking to upload the stage 2 + stock based map. Not planning custom tune or going to the track.

Is there supposed to be some special based map from vit when you buy the k tuner from him? I see people talk about vit's map for the si. Or are they just talking about custom tune?

Thanks
I was bummed when I found out about the registration problem as my Windows laptop is too old. I bought a used laptop off of Ebay for $200. Also, I live on the third floor of a condo and am too far from where my car is parked for the WIFI to reach. I was thinking about going to a local restaurant parking lot to use their WIFI as theirs reaches out a long way or going to a friend's house and using his garage. With my phone, I noticed that a WIFI named Garry's Guest was strong in my parking slot underneath my building. I followed the signal and knocked on the condo directly above my slot. I met my neighbor Garry and explained the situation. I asked him if I could be his guest. He was happy to do it. I got a chance to meet one of my neighbors. Now I just load up my V1.2 with tunes and reflash from my phone to try stuff out.

I bought my V1.2 from Vit and it included a free Stage 1 tune. I haven't asked him to email it to me yet as I am still trying out lower boost level tunes and feature settings first. I got the free tune from a Vittuned Combo offer for Si's. I don't know if he has the same combo offer for base Civics.

Last edited:
OP
OP

omygod711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks you confirmed that I need internet to finish ECU locking.

Luckily I found a parking spot right outside of my house and was able lock the ECU.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You could tether to your phone's WiFi. I imagine that the bandwidth requirements to complete the locking are not very high.

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I was bummed when I found out about the registration problem as my Windows laptop is too old. I bought a used laptop off of Ebay for $200. Also, I live on the third floor of a condo and am too far from where my car is parked for the WIFI to reach. I was thinking about going to a local restaurant parking lot to use their WIFI as theirs reaches out a long way or going to a friend's house and using his garage. With my phone, I noticed that a WIFI named Garry's Guest was strong in my parking slot underneath my building. I followed the signal and knocked on the condo directly above my slot. I met my neighbor Garry and explained the situation. I asked him if I could be his guest. He was happy to do it. I got a chance to meet one of my neighbors. Now I just load up my V1.2 with tunes and reflash from my phone to try stuff out.

I bought my V1.2 from Vit and it included a free Stage 1 tune. I haven't asked him to email it to me yet as I am still trying out lower boost level tunes and feature settings first. I got the free tune from a Vittuned Combo offer for Si's. I don't know if he has the same combo offer for base Civics.

I just ordered a Ktuner v1 and am brand new to tuning. Did I misunderstand that you use your phone to tune and not a laptop? I do not own a laptop and am trying to figure out if I have to purchase one so I can tune.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
You need a windows laptop to lock the v1.2 to your ECU. You can use an Android phone to flash the tune.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You need a windows laptop to lock the v1.2 to your ECU. You can use an Android phone to flash the tune.
That's correct but the poster above said he bought a V1. Is that older model compatible with uploading a tune through the Tunerview app?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just ordered a Ktuner v1 and am brand new to tuning. Did I misunderstand that you use your phone to tune and not a laptop? I do not own a laptop and am trying to figure out if I have to purchase one so I can tune.
If you have a windows desktop then you can just borrow a windows laptop from a friend to do the initial install in the car. The laptop need to be on the internet when you lock the dongle to the car. You can just download updates and tunes to the dongle inside with your desktop and download from the dongle into the car with a phone or the head unit if you install tunerview. That is assuming that you have the V1.2. The V1.2 can hold up to 5 tunes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a windows desktop then you can just borrow a windows laptop from a friend to do the initial install in the car. The laptop need to be on the internet when you lock the dongle to the car. You can just download updates and tunes to the dongle inside with your desktop and download from the dongle into the car with a phone or the head unit if you install tunerview. That is assuming that you have the V1.2. The V1.2 can hold up to 5 tunes.
All very true. The only thing is, locking the first time isn't the only time he'll need a laptop. Ktuner recommends reverting to stock and unlocking the unit for dealer visits, for example. In the long run, owning a laptop is a much better choice than hoping a friend has one to borrow. ;)

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All very true. The only thing is, locking the first time isn't the only time he'll need a laptop. Ktuner recommends reverting to stock and unlocking the unit for dealer visits, for example. In the long run, owning a laptop is a much better choice than hoping a friend has one to borrow. ;)
I agree that it is recommended to flash back to factory before you go into the dealer, but uncertain if you need to unlock to the ECU? @KTuner

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I solved it, called and ordered a V2 and they took the V1 off, no hassle. MAPerformance. I believe they earned my.business just with the great customer service, it's a rarity nowadays.

bmaf55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know if it is possible to register 2 diff tuners on 1 laptop? ex. my laptop with a friends tuner and mine also. Having issues!!!
Sponsored