No oil in the engine, any damage?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
It's possible that's just how the light is set which I know is probably bizarre. I had something similar happen to one of my cars once, where there was significant oil burning from the engine to the point where it nearly burned all the oil from the engine. The oil pressure light did not start coming on until the car had maybe 1 quart left out of the 4.5 it was supposed to have. You'd think it would have came on sooner like 50% oil is gone or 40%, but maybe that's just how the mfg has it set.....when it's too late and 0% oil left.
Sponsored

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've heard people refer to oil lights in general as the 'too late light'. Maybe for good reason.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Since the oil is a very important component there should be a better gauge. It's not like putting off changing your air filter or something. Oil loss will destroy the engine quickly..I get there's a dip stick but some consumers just look at the digital gauges.

Even if the light came on at 50% full at least there's be some oil and alert the driver. Having the light come on when it's gone is pointless. Might as well not even have it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
You are right about a better oil gauge...but don't forget it is a low budget car and the first of the 10th gen.

oshoguno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Since the oil is a very important component there should be a better gauge. It's not like putting off changing your air filter or something. Oil loss will destroy the engine quickly..I get there's a dip stick but some consumers just look at the digital gauges.

Even if the light came on at 50% full at least there's be some oil and alert the driver. Having the light come on when it's gone is pointless. Might as well not even have it.
That is not how the oil gauge works. It is a pressure gauge, while the oil pump is running it will have pressure as long as there is oil at the inlet. That is, until the pump sucks air from the level being too low (usually 1 liter). Car makers could put in another sensor for oil level, but that would create nuisance faults when a car brakes hard, accelerates quickly or turns fast due to the oil splashing around. That is why all major car manufacturers only use a pressure sensor.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Took the skid plate off and this is what I found.

The tow truck driver was nice enough to give them a hard time too.. So I have a witness. The mechanic is investigating now...
20170427_084035.jpg
I have a couple of issues with this. First it was not smart for you to go under the car and remove the shield. Second is the bottom of that engine is not covered in oil and only in normal road dirt. I only see two small spots of oil in your photo. Other than those two small spots that oil pan is dry as a bone. My last issue is you ran to the internet and documented what you have done.

The dealer and Honda would both be within their rights to wonder if you were under the car monkeying around and did something you should not have done and are now trying to blame the dealer and Honda.

My point is if something goes wrong with your car don't start doing home diagnostics, let the dealer discover the issues. Removing the shield is not a simple process on these cars as you have to raise them up to get it removed. I am sorry to say but I find this very fishy due to your own actions.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's possible that's just how the light is set which I know is probably bizarre. I had something similar happen to one of my cars once, where there was significant oil burning from the engine to the point where it nearly burned all the oil from the engine. The oil pressure light did not start coming on until the car had maybe 1 quart left out of the 4.5 it was supposed to have. You'd think it would have came on sooner like 50% oil is gone or 40%, but maybe that's just how the mfg has it set.....when it's too late and 0% oil left.
That is because it is monitoring oil pressure and until it detects a drop in oil pressure a gauge or light will not activate until the oil pressure drops. There is no gauge capable of monitoring oil burning.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The oil pump is chain driven. If the chain breaks, etc. the pump stops turning and no oil flows.

It's more all inclusive to actuate the oil light from a pressure switch. The oil sump can be full of oil but if the the pump isn't moving oil all that oil in the sump is worthless.

Granted, it would be very, very rare for the oil pump or its drive chain to malfunction.

The low oil pressure light offers value. If it didn't they wouldn't provide one.

My Yamaha motorcycle uses an oil level switch rather than a pressure switch to actuate the oil light. You know if you have oil in the sump but you don't know if the oil is flowing in the engine. A pressure switch would seem to offer more info about the entire oil handling system.

OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX HS, 2008 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have a couple of issues with this. First it was not smart for you to go under the car and remove the shield. Second is the bottom of that engine is not covered in oil and only in normal road dirt. I only see two small spots of oil in your photo. Other than those two small spots that oil pan is dry as a bone. My last issue is you ran to the internet and documented what you have done.

The dealer and Honda would both be within their rights to wonder if you were under the car monkeying around and did something you should not have done and are now trying to blame the dealer and Honda.

My point is if something goes wrong with your car don't start doing home diagnostics, let the dealer discover the issues. Removing the shield is not a simple process on these cars as you have to raise them up to get it removed. I am sorry to say but I find this very fishy due to your own actions.
I only did it because the towing truck driver (certified by Honda Canada and my witness) rised it hight enough on his truck's lift for me to be able to get underneath easily and safely. I did look underneath before he came and you are right, doing it on my own would be risky.

I have full records of regular service on both of my cars at this dealer, I do that so I don't have to get my hands dirty, even on my 9 year old C-RV. What would be a reason for me to monkey around down there on my new car?

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only did it because the towing truck driver (certified by Honda Canada and my witness) rised it hight enough on his truck's lift for me to be able to get underneath easily and safely. I did look underneath before he came and you are right, doing it on my own would be risky.

I have full records of regular service on both of my cars at this dealer, I do that so I don't have to get my hands dirty, even on my 9 year old C-RV. What would be a reason for me to monkey around down there on my new car?
Many people do things to their new cars and then something goes wrong and they attempt to remove what they did and claim warranty. It is not as rare as many would believe. I am not accusing you but you did open a box of worms in that direction when you took it upon yourself to start taking things apart.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That is not how the oil gauge works. It is a pressure gauge, while the oil pump is running it will have pressure as long as there is oil at the inlet. That is, until the pump sucks air from the level being too low (usually 1 liter). Car makers could put in another sensor for oil level, but that would create nuisance faults when a car brakes hard, accelerates quickly or turns fast due to the oil splashing around. That is why all major car manufacturers only use a pressure sensor.
It would be pretty easy to compensate for the nuisance faults. Or they could put a sensor that measures oil level after parked on fairly level ground for more than 5 minutes. It just seems like a no brainer, considering the damage that can be done/prevented.

oshoguno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
It would be pretty easy to compensate for the nuisance faults. Or they could put a sensor that measures oil level after parked on fairly level ground for more than 5 minutes. It just seems like a no brainer, considering the damage that can be done/prevented.
Except the oil level will automatically be lower when the engine is running and that is when most leaks happen and the only time engine damage can happen. The few instances that a low oil level indicator would be helpful is too expensive to put on millions of cars an automaker may make in a year. Instead it is cheaper to fix the few cars it happens to.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Except the oil level will automatically be lower when the engine is running and that is when most leaks happen and the only time engine damage can happen. The few instances that a low oil level indicator would be helpful is too expensive to put on millions of cars an automaker may make in a year. Instead it is cheaper to fix the few cars it happens to.
A good argument ... until you're the one it happens to. But I hear you. In this day and age, it's always the bean counters that win

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe

There is no such thing as a "Honda certified" tow truck driver. There are companies honda use for road side assistance but they are just regular drivers with zero formal training.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Thanks for all the support and comments!

I got the car, it seems fine, the engine sound is a bit loud/rough while accelerating but it is probably because I never paid attention to it before. My friend has the exact same Civic so I will compare when I get a chance. I'm attaching the invoice in case someone is interested.

Tonight, I will start writing some one star reviews. Not much else to do but pray that it is fine and if it is not, hope that it will break down while still on warranty.

20170428_131249.jpg
And these are the benefits of buying new. Poor soul that ends up buying your car after you're done lol. Main reason I went new. Got tired of seeing and fixing other peoples neglect and jerryrigs.
Sponsored