Gas in the oil

74javelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Have new 2016 honda civic touring changed oil at 4000 miles they did an update now fuel mileage is off 6 mpg 1300 miles later heard engine ticking found over quart of gas in oil . oil was black water thin . I cut oil filter open full of metal .they changed oil agian 50 miles later over half quart of gas in oil engine ticking again . after arguing with community honda then started yelling they say nothing wrong with all of that gas in the oil then called honda 45 min on phone they refuse to do anything about it 27000 dollar car check your oil dose any body else have this problem
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I am sorry to hear that. Do you get any pictures? I doubt they would refuse to do anything if you actually found metal in oil filter. At the meantime, how do you know there is gas in engine oil? our car uses 0w20, it is a very thin, liquid like oil....I bet you would get a CEL if you found metal pieces that are big enough for the human eyes in your oil filter.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Wait, wait, wait.

First of all, your sentence structure is intolerable.

Secondly, your Touring has a direct injection engine. Ticking is absolutely normal. Youtube "DI engine sound" and you'll find that every single DI engine sounds exactly the same - loud ticking.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no way you found a quart of gasoline in your crankcase. Unless a quart of engine oil has magically placed switched places with the gas from your fuel tank, if you truly had a quart of gas in your oil, it would have overflowed absolutely everywhere and likely caught fire.

Fourthly, the car comes with very thin oil to begin with. As @xcoreflyup said, it's 0W20 - extremely thin, by design.

Fifthly, i suspect your exaggerating your "oil filter full of metal", as if that were true your engine would have grenaded and you'd be on the side of the road. What you likely had was very fine metal bits as the pistons bore themselves in during the break-in period. Again, completely normal

Now, of course, there is the chance that something is seriously wrong with the car. But gasoline reaching the crankcase is so, so implausible.
Rather, based from your description, it seems far more likely that you were just unaware of the characteristics of the 27000 dollar car you just bought, and you yelled at the dealership for your own ignorance.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Have new 2016 honda civic touring changed oil at 4000 miles they did an update now fuel mileage is off 6 mpg 1300 miles later heard engine ticking found over quart of gas in oil . oil was black water thin . I cut oil filter open full of metal .they changed oil agian 50 miles later over half quart of gas in oil engine ticking again . after arguing with community honda then started yelling they say nothing wrong with all of that gas in the oil then called honda 45 min on phone they refuse to do anything about it 27000 dollar car check your oil dose any body else have this problem
74javelin, please post pictures of the gas in the oil and of the metal inside your oil filter. Thanks!

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
found over quart of gas in oil . oil was black water thin .
I'm not sure how you are measuring how much gas is in the oil once they're mixed together. I think you should get some science on your side and send a sample of your oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis to know if you really have a problem or not. They'll tell you what percentage of your oil is gasoline, and also let you know if there's too much metal in your oil. FYI, when I changed my oil at 9000 miles, only 1% of it was gas:

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas in the oil oil-1-
Sponsored