New owner Hondata question

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Don't get intimidated, it's really not that complicated lol. The software is very user-friendly. Not to mention KTuner has an excellent guide available online that tells you exactly what everything does and how to do it.
Sponsored

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
As the end user, you won't actually be doing any "tuning" or messing with anything dangerous. You just select the tune you want from a list of starter maps, and then you have the option of adjusting certain parameters from there. It's all just simple drop-down menus. It might seem overwhelming now, but after owning the car for a while you'll be very happy to have the ability to adjust these things to your preference.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, so anyway my question was completely avoided.

If I buy a KTuner and get the TSP Stage 1 tune, and decide "Hmm, I want this but just a little bit more oomph" or "less oomph," am I able to do that with what I purchased? Can I take that preset tune and fiddle with it some? Can I take that same purchase, drive with it for several months, then find out that Larry The Local Tuner is around and ask him to tweak it to my liking?

EDIT: Maybe somebody did just now answer it after all. It just sounded like if you buy it with a specific tune in mind that you won't be able to change anything from that if you wanted/needed to.
As the end user, you won't actually be doing any "tuning" or messing with anything dangerous. You just select the tune you want from a list of starter maps, and then you have the option of adjusting certain parameters from there. It's all just simple drop-down menus. It might seem overwhelming now, but after owning the car for a while you'll be very happy to have the ability to adjust these things to your preference.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag

If I buy a KTuner and get the TSP Stage 1 tune, and decide "Hmm, I want this but just a little bit more oomph" or "less oomph," am I able to do that with what I purchased? Can I take that preset tune and fiddle with it some? Can I take that same purchase, drive with it for several months, then find out that Larry The Local Tuner is around and ask him to tweak it to my liking?

EDIT: Maybe somebody did just now answer it after all. It just sounded like if you buy it with a specific tune in mind that you won't be able to change anything from that if you wanted/needed to.
From my understanding the stage 1 tune is mostly “caged”. You can enable something’s like boost by gear and rev hang, but not you won’t see the timing maps etc done by the tuner. If you get a custom tune he will likely open one of the ktuner starter maps and tweak it from there.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag

the basic tunes that come with it are editable.
you can play with safe settings or become pro and adjust stuff you need to know what you are doing with.
i use basic tunes that came with it. they are similar to that +9 psi from hondata only left unlocked so it can be messed with.

ktuner is here in this forum and responsive to questions as well as the ktuner website has nots of help too. this last point is why i say get ktuner over hondata.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
One other low cost option is to just get a tune loaded from a Hondata dealer. The reflash costs $350...

https://www.hondata.com/dealer-reflash
I went to SPREEN HONDA here in Redlands Ca. since they are on Hondadata's dealer list as an installer and they quoted me $595 for the tune.

I asked about the $350 price from Hondadata's website and the service writer said something like "oh that must be a special price from their site but we charge $595".........that's not what the Hondadata's site says so be careful.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to contact Hondata customer service and let them know Spreen is marking up a reflash almost $250 above the correct price. $350 is the set rate for a one time dealer reflash.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I just did flashpro with +9 psi it's the bomb I also have prl cai whole new car
If I were you I'd start saving $25 a month for a clutch replacement, "many" people with a +9 tune or more report clutches needing replacement as soon as after a few thousand miles of driving.......especially if you are REALLY enjoying it!

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealers don’t get much of a discount when they buy from an aftermarket company. That is why they try to raise the price to gain profit. What you gain is well you pay more at the dealer, but they deal with all the things that happen after.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You may want to contact Hondata customer service and let them know Spreen is marking up a reflash almost $250 above the correct price. $350 is the set rate for a one time dealer reflash.
Thanks for the reply......I'll contact them this coming week. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't surprise me if the dealers pay like $150 for the tune and make out fine with the $350 price, I mean it doesn't take that long to load the tune I don't think??

joecat66

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si coupe e38 bmw toyota fj60 triumph tr6 and 2 more
Country flag
I did the carb compliant for 490 and nothing else. It's plenty of fun especially in 3rd gear. Using the boost gauge you can see and feel how quickly the boost builds over stock. The plus 6 is also evident on the the gauge which will top out close to 20psi. Launch control is also fun and can be adjusted w/the steering wheel. If your looking for a more balanced feel between handling and speed without fear of breaking things this is the way to go. Most say avoid excess boost in 5th and 6th while passing on highway to save clutch....the best part is you can shut it all down with the sport button off and i can go for days without using it. The si is a better twisty bits handler than drag racer and the plus 6 enhances its strengths.

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Sorry but the CARB locked FlashPro is a complete rip-off. Even if you say you "just want a simple tune" it still makes no sense. For the same money with Ktuner, you can get your "simple tune" plus the ability to do a whole lot more if and when you feel like it.

clint3900

First Name
clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I did the carb compliant for 490 and nothing else. It's plenty of fun especially in 3rd gear. Using the boost gauge you can see and feel how quickly the boost builds over stock. The plus 6 is also evident on the the gauge which will top out close to 20psi. Launch control is also fun and can be adjusted w/the steering wheel. If your looking for a more balanced feel between handling and speed without fear of breaking things this is the way to go. Most say avoid excess boost in 5th and 6th while passing on highway to save clutch....the best part is you can shut it all down with the sport button off and i can go for days without using it. The si is a better twisty bits handler than drag racer and the plus 6 enhances its strengths.
[QU3OTE="joecat66, post: 514361, member: 20443"]I did the carb compliant for 490 and nothing else. It's plenty of fun especially in 3rd gear. Using the boost gauge you can see and feel how quickly the boost builds over stock. The plus 6 is also evident on the the gauge which will top out close to 20psi. Launch control is also fun and can be adjusted w/the steering wheel. If your looking for a more balanced feel between handling and speed without fear of breaking things this is the way to go. Most say avoid excess boost in 5th and 6th while passing on highway to save clutch....the best part is you can shut it all down with the sport button off and i can go for days without using it. The si is a better twisty bits handler than drag racer and the plus 6 enhances its strengths.[/QUOTE]
$350 reflash +9psi ftw

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
the best part is you can shut it all down with the sport button off
You know what's better than "shutting it all down" with the sport button? Being able to select 2 different boost levels for normal and sport mode, as well as having 2 other different tunes (each with their own normal/sport settings) and being able to select different levels of turbo responsiveness for each of those 3 tunes. Not to mention rev hang delete, throttle padding, boost ramp aggressiveness, easy-to-use boost by gear with optional ramping for every gear, etc., etc.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the V1.2 is the one that is +6 and i see for $404 on two step website correct? This would be the mild tune one.
Sponsored