D34thlock17

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Ok, so Ive dedicated a while to reading various threads and verifying the web. I'm stil torn between which tuner to get. From what I have seen there are more Ktuner users out there than Flashpro.

Apparently the Ktuner is the more friendly and has more options. I am however skeptical over what would be the best option. I'm not looking to cause a debate here. I just want some fresh opinions.

I have already order a PRL cai for my car and I'm hoping to place my order for a tuner before the end of the week. Any input is appreciated. In the meanwhile I'll be also researching in the forums.
Sponsored

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
Ok, so Ive dedicated a while to reading various threads and verifying the web. I'm stil torn between which tuner to get. From what I have seen there are more Ktuner users out there than Flashpro.

Apparently the Ktuner is the more friendly and has more options. I am however skeptical over what would be the best option. I'm not looking to cause a debate here. I just want some fresh opinions.

Both are awesome and I have used both, but I am really enjoying the Tunerview capability of Ktuner. Not a fan of the sometimes overzealous ktuner fanboys, but if you can look past the BS you will find that you cant really go wrong with either solution

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I have already order a PRL cai for my car and I'm hoping to place my order for a tuner before the end of the week. Any input is appreciated. In the meanwhile I'll be also researching in the forums.
Then you've certainly picked the right topic.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have Ktuner in my car and have absolutely loved it. I too had the same dilemma that you did and I don't regret my decision at all. Tuning is a breeze and the customization options for the tune are very easy to use/understand. I'm going to be installing a PRL CAI down the road and Ktuner has already said that they have custom tubes to adapt for the race MAF. All you have to do is email them and they will get you set up.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just flashed mine today with the KTuner v1.2. Pretty straightforward. Just follow the instructions. The only thing I noted that you are not told is that your car has to be in ignition mode, not accessory mode to initially lock to the ECU. Once I figured that out, it was super simple to flash. Even with the initial delay, it took maybe 30 minutes total to do everything, from start to finish. I took it for a 6 or 7 mile spin after and no lights on the dash or codes in the software.

I went with the 19.5/23 dual tune with the rev hang delete. It feels more like a true manual transmission car now. Only engaged Sport Mode for a bit, but it was enough to get wheelspin at...45mph! Sort of ridiculous, and notable how poor the all seasons are at traction.

I'm looking forward to having fun with it.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it is worth, Hondata is pretty damn easy to get a base tune installed. I used a desktop computer-no laptop needed. I just wanted a basic reflash for the rev hang and a little bit more power. Hondata delivered for my needs and it sounded like the more 'conservative' option of the two.

I haven't used Ktuner but it sounds like that is where the majority of the action is (pushing for bigger numbers, more options). You already ordered a CAI and, presumably, will do more to your Civic in the future. If that is the case, Ktuner may be where you're heading anyway.

OP
OP
D34thlock17

D34thlock17

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys!

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
KTUNER > LIFE!

TrippyTreb

First Name
Tteb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FC3 Si
Country flag
I'm mostly interested in the differences between all these flash tools and tunes.

Hondata has scramble mode which is exclusive to them as far as I know, and can achieve up to 28 psi as low as 2500 rpm if I'm not mistaken.

Ktuner 1.2 has a 19/23 psi comfort/sport tune and v2's numbers escape me.

I hear that the VitTune is no longer available and most people are going for tsp stage 1. What is the difference between these two, anyway?

As OP said I plan to get a CAI, most likely PRL, and also the 27WON drop in big turbo. It seems this would lean me more towards KT, no?

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'm sure there are some things I left out. Feel free to add anything valid.

Cost:

Ktuner Version 1.2 Hardware can be had for $449, while the Version 2 hardware, which includes a touch screen display, retails for $649.

The Hondata Flashpro meanwhile, comes with one hardware option, which retails for $695.

Does going with the more expensive kTuner V2, over V1.2 have any advantages?

That depends on your setup, and how you plan to make use of your device.

The Tunerview smartphone app, which allows for real-time display of essential sensor data (IAT, ECT, Boost Pressure, AFR, Fuel Trims, ect.), as well as the ability to enable datalogging, and switching between tunes/maps, is unfortunately only available on Android devices at the moment.

So, if you don't have a spare android device laying around, and aren't up to purchasing one, but still want the option of sensor data displayed, then the V2 hardware may be ideal for you. Or, on the contrary, maybe your android phone is the only android device you have, and you chose to display other things, such as GPS navigation data on your screen, but also would like to see the ecu data. This would probably be another reason why the V2 would fit your needs. The V2 is also able to show codes (CEL's) in real-time, with the ability to disable them, whereas this is not possible with the tunerview app, and without a laptop.

What are some advanatages of the V1.2?

It's a fairly light, and compact device, that'll probably fit in your pocket, that you can leave plugged into your vehicle, with no worries. The V2, on the other hand, is a bulky device, that won't fit in most pockets, and one that thieves would love to get their hands on, if left in sight in your car.

The V1.2 plugs directly into the OBD2 port, with no need for cords, or wires, unlike the V2, and the Hondata Flashpro.

If you have a free android device, using bluetooth, and the Tunerview app, you can display essential sensor data, without the need of another device, cluttering up your car, and taking up space.

The V1.2 is $200 cheaper than the V2, and can do mostly everything the V2 can do.

Now that we've compared differences, and similarities of both kTuner devices, let's break down more differences, and similarities between Ktuner and Hondata Flashpro.

Ktuner software at the moment, is only compatible with windows, while Hondata supports Windows and Mac.

With the Hondata Flashpro hardware, the device will only work on one vehicle model. So, if you decide to trade up to a newer model car, you would have to shell out another $695 for another Flashpro, to work with that new vehicle. Ktuner on the other hand, has no such restriction, with V2 and V1.2 hardware working across a wide range of models.

Both kTuner, and thd Hondata Flashpro, allow you to datalog, without the use of a laptop. You are able to store 2 tunes on the Flashpro device, and switch between the two, as well as flash back to stock, without the use of a laptop. With Ktuner V1.2, you're able to store 3 tunes, plus the stock calibration, and switch between the calibrations using the TunerView phone App. With kTuner V2, you're able to store 5 tunes, plus the stock calibration, and switch between them, directly from the touch screen device.

Both Ktuner, and Hondata come with preset basemaps, or tunes, which the user can set, and forget. These basemaps will work with a variety of different modifications. At the moment, it seems that Hondata may have more calibrations developed with these other modifications in mind, which are specific to certain mods, such as intakes, etc.

Both platforms give users a considerable amount of options for tuning their own cars to their liking, but the general consensus, is that kTuner is a bit more acessable, especially with the quick adjustment options, which allow for control of throttle response, part throttle turbo response, spool, and boost ramp rate, which determines how agressively the boost comes on.

Hondata has a live tuning feature (for those who know what they're doing), which allows a tuner to make live adjustments which (take effect immediately) to a tune, while the tune is being used, without having to reupload the tune. This is something Ktuner does not have.

Probably the most dreaded feature of these new 1.5T cars, is the rev hang, that accompanies the 6MT counterpart, and is reason enough for some to seek an ecu tuner. There seems to be a difference in how this issue has been handled by Ktuner, and Hondata, based on their understanding of the cause of this issue.

Hondata was first to advertise their fix for this issue, but some feel their patch, wasn't a complete fix. On the contrary, kTuner took a little longer to come out with their solution, but again, the general consensus is that kTuner's solution, completely eliminates the issue.

Both platforms offer what is termed as "no lift shift", or "full throttle shift", which seems to work well.

Both platforms also offer a solution to boost lag, which is present after shifting gears. According to those who have either used both products, or tuned both platforms (professionally), it seems that Ktuner also performs better in this area.

As far as the tunes themselves, performance seems to be fairly similar, with a slight edge going to ktuner, whose tunes have a tad more torque and low end power. Tunes aren't all about power however, and while this is a matter of opinion, and subjective, those with experience with both platforms have stated that kTuners maps/tunes have a better overall feel. This could have something to do with the fact that kTuner did colaborate with one of the most well known, and reputable tuners in the Honda community, in Vit Viper, who helped develop these basemaps.

On the subject of Vit Viper, and tuners, when it comes to the pros doing what they do best, it seems the most reputable tuners, use, and reccomend the kTuner platform, which gives them unparalleled access to the tools needed to advance the platform, and tune these motors the best way possible.

Issues & Support

Neither one of these products are perfect, and both have had their flaws. To be fair, Ktuner's reputation is something that's still in the process of maturing. They're hardware has had some issues here and there (which they've handled quickly, and accordingly), but they're quickly becoming known for unparalleled customer service, and being dedicated to meeting the needs of their customers, and tuners.

Hondata has a long, tried, and true reputation, and continues to make a very reliable, and trusted product, and is also at the forefront of R&D, and heavily involved with the advancement, and growth of the platform.

daijobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm sure there are some things I left out. Feel free to add anything valid.

Cost:

Ktuner Version 1.2 Hardware can be had for $449, while the Version 2 hardware, which includes a touch screen display, retails for $649.

The Hondata Flashpro meanwhile, comes with one hardware option, which retails for $695.

Does going with the more expensive kTuner V2, over V1.2 have any advantages?

That depends on your setup, and how you plan to make use of your device.

The Tunerview smartphone app, which allows for real-time display of essential sensor data (IAT, ECT, Boost Pressure, AFR, Fuel Trims, ect.), as well as the ability to enable datalogging, and switching between tunes/maps, is unfortunately only available on Android devices at the moment.

So, if you don't have a spare android device laying around, and aren't up to purchasing one, but still want the option of sensor data displayed, then the V2 hardware may be ideal for you. Or, on the contrary, maybe your android phone is the only android device you have, and you chose to display other things, such as GPS navigation data on your screen, but also would like to see the ecu data. This would probably be another reason why the V2 would fit your needs. The V2 is also able to show codes (CEL's) in real-time, with the ability to disable them, whereas this is not possible with the tunerview app, and without a laptop.

What are some advanatages of the V1.2?

It's a fairly light, and compact device, that'll probably fit in your pocket, that you can leave plugged into your vehicle, with no worries. The V2, on the other hand, is a bulky device, that won't fit in most pockets, and one that thieves would love to get their hands on, if left in sight in your car.

The V1.2 plugs directly into the OBD2 port, with no need for cords, or wires, unlike the V2, and the Hondata Flashpro.

If you have a free android device, using bluetooth, and the Tunerview app, you can display essential sensor data, without the need of another device, cluttering up your car, and taking up space.

The V1.2 is $200 cheaper than the V2, and can do mostly everything the V2 can do.

Now that we've compared differences, and similarities of both kTuner devices, let's break down more differences, and similarities between Ktuner and Hondata Flashpro.

Ktuner software at the moment, is only compatible with windows, while Hondata supports Windows and Mac.

With the Hondata Flashpro hardware, the device will only work on one vehicle model. So, if you decide to trade up to a newer model car, you would have to shell out another $695 for another Flashpro, to work with that new vehicle. Ktuner on the other hand, has no such restriction, with V2 and V1.2 hardware working across a wide range of models.

Both kTuner, and thd Hondata Flashpro, allow you to datalog, without the use of a laptop. You are able to store 2 tunes on the Flashpro device, and switch between the two, as well as flash back to stock, without the use of a laptop. With Ktuner V1.2, you're able to store 3 tunes, plus the stock calibration, and switch between the calibrations using the TunerView phone App. With kTuner V2, you're able to store 5 tunes, plus the stock calibration, and switch between them, directly from the touch screen device.

Both Ktuner, and Hondata come with preset basemaps, or tunes, which the user can set, and forget. These basemaps will work with a variety of different modifications. At the moment, it seems that Hondata may have more calibrations developed with these other modifications in mind, which are specific to certain mods, such as intakes, etc.

Both platforms give users a considerable amount of options for tuning their own cars to their liking, but the general consensus, is that kTuner is a bit more acessable, especially with the quick adjustment options, which allow for control of throttle response, part throttle turbo response, spool, and boost ramp rate, which determines how agressively the boost comes on.

Hondata has a live tuning feature (for those who know what they're doing), which allows a tuner to make live adjustments which (take effect immediately) to a tune, while the tune is being used, without having to reupload the tune. This is something Ktuner does not have.

Probably the most dreaded feature of these new 1.5T cars, is the rev hang, that accompanies the 6MT counterpart, and is reason enough for some to seek an ecu tuner. There seems to be a difference in how this issue has been handled by Ktuner, and Hondata, based on their understanding of the cause of this issue.

Hondata was first to advertise their fix for this issue, but some feel their patch, wasn't a complete fix. On the contrary, kTuner took a little longer to come out with their solution, but again, the general consensus is that kTuner's solution, completely eliminates the issue.

Both platforms offer what is termed as "no lift shift", or "full throttle shift", which seems to work well.

Both platforms also offer a solution to boost lag, which is present after shifting gears. According to those who have either used both products, or tuned both platforms (professionally), it seems that Ktuner also performs better in this area.

As far as the tunes themselves, performance seems to be fairly similar, with a slight edge going to ktuner, whose tunes have a tad more torque and low end power. Tunes aren't all about power however, and while this is a matter of opinion, and subjective, those with experience with both platforms have stated that kTuners maps/tunes have a better overall feel. This could have something to do with the fact that kTuner did colaborate with one of the most well known, and reputable tuners in the Honda community, in Vit Viper, who helped develop these basemaps.

On the subject of Vit Viper, and tuners, when it comes to the pros doing what they do best, it seems the most reputable tuners, use, and reccomend the kTuner platform, which gives them unparalleled access to the tools needed to advance the platform, and tune these motors the best way possible.

Issues & Support

Neither one of these products are perfect, and both have had their flaws. To be fair, Ktuner's reputation is something that's still in the process of maturing. They're hardware has had some issues here and there (which they've handled quickly, and accordingly), but they're quickly becoming known for unparalleled customer service, and being dedicated to meeting the needs of their customers, and tuners.

Hondata has a long, tried, and true reputation, and continues to make a very reliable, and trusted product, and is also at the forefront of R&D, and heavily involved with the advancement, and growth of the platform.
Thanks for this in depth explanation. Like OP, I already have the PRL cai, and I'm considering either Ktuner or Flashpro. I'm initially leaning towards the Flashpro for the basemap with the PRL cai (street maf) for just a normal +6 sport mode and factory tune for comfort mode, since i'm not looking to be on the bleeding edge of tuning on this car. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, though.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Thanks for this in depth explanation. Like OP, I already have the PRL cai, and I'm considering either Ktuner or Flashpro. I'm initially leaning towards the Flashpro for the basemap with the PRL cai (street maf) for just a normal +6 sport mode and factory tune for comfort mode, since i'm not looking to be on the bleeding edge of tuning on this car. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, though.
There may be maps in Ktuner specific to the Cobra CAI. Even then, the intake works fine with the normal basemaps, and needs no special tuning. Definitely isn't worth spending $200 more for Hondata. There is also a 6psi equivalent in Ktuner.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
+1 - No matter which platform you go with this tune is absolutely amazing

@D-RobIMW is extremely talented and has this platform nailed. Completely different car, don't plan on ever going back!!
@D-RobIMW Will this tune slip the stock clutch? Im very close to buying a ktuner and I'll buy it from them if it won't slip the stock clutch.
Sponsored