timheu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic ex
Country flag
Having trouble starting, there is no engine crank, and a slight clicking when trying to start, but there IS power to the car - lights, windows, radio, etc. At first it was intermittent, sometimes the car would not start on the the first attempt but the second it would work. But just in the last day or two it is not starting at all.

The battery has the correct voltage, and as stated before the car has power. Next thing I wanted to do was check the starter relay, but I am getting a little confused by the diagram and am not sure which one to check. I would like to attempt to troubleshoot and possibly fix the problem on my own just so i can gain a little more experience and a sense of independence when it comes to car care/maintenance.

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help locating correct fuse IMG_3841

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help locating correct fuse IMG_3842

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
No. 3 is a buss fuse. To remove, you take off the bolt right below it.

The fuse cannot be busted because it eventually runs the starter after a few attempts.

Do the simple stuff before the difficult ones. Try jump start cables from a good battery. If it works fine, then your battery needs replacement. How old is the battery?

Last edited:

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Most likely a dead or dying battery causing this. If you jump start the car remember red to red, black to black. Don't go smoking fuses like our idiot salesmen.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Is this auto or manual? If manual, could also be the clutch switch. If auto, could also be the gear selector switch that tells the computer either you're in P or N. The car will not start when not in P or N. Try move the selector to N.

But agreed should check the battery first.

Tuan Tran

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Battery is one of the things you should check first.

Another thing you should check is the STOP LIGHT/PARKING LIGHT works when you press the footbrake. If it's not work then check the STOP LIGHT/PARKING LIGHT 10A fuses in the engine's fuse box.

Similiar problem happened to me last time and my PARKING LIGHT's fuse dead.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Some climates add to contact corrosion, look at your battery cable ends. Sometimes a light cleaning and small dab of dielectric grease between contacts will help

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Having trouble starting, there is no engine crank, and a slight clicking when trying to start, but there IS power to the car - lights, windows, radio, etc. At first it was intermittent, sometimes the car would not start on the the first attempt but the second it would work. But just in the last day or two it is not starting at all.

The battery has the correct voltage, and as stated before the car has power. Next thing I wanted to do was check the starter relay, but I am getting a little confused by the diagram and am not sure which one to check. I would like to attempt to troubleshoot and possibly fix the problem on my own just so i can gain a little more experience and a sense of independence when it comes to car care/maintenance.

IMG_3841.jpeg

IMG_3842.jpeg
Check if you have an oil leak around the valve cover, specially right over the starter, I've seen it that oil leaks into the starter

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
My daughter had the same problem on her LX, intermittent start, and no start after a while. The battery tested good but the starter was shot because of oil leak from the valve cover gasket. Honda replaced the gasket and reimbursed for the price of the starter.
There are so many threads on batteries that sometimes this what we suspect that goes wrong.
There seems to be a trend of cover gasket leaking.
Sponsored