Fuse Size

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
For some reason this is proving to be a very big problem for me. No DIY thread mentions the exact fuse sizes.

Is it the mini fuse? ATM? ATC?

Or the low profile mini fuse? Which I suspect it is.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok.

I'm like having trouble learning how to tap fuses and which side is the "hot" side in the car and on a fuse itself. Still kind of working that out.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Ok.

I'm like having trouble learning how to tap fuses and which side is the "hot" side in the car and on a fuse itself. Still kind of working that out.
If you have a voltmeter, and you remove the fuse, you can put the positive lead to one side of the fuse terminal, and the negative lead to ground. The fuse terminal that registers 12Vs, is the hot terminal.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a voltmeter, and you remove the fuse, you can put the positive lead to one side of the fuse terminal, and the negative lead to ground. The fuse terminal that registers 12Vs, is the hot terminal.

What about the fuse itself? Is there a dedicated side that's hot? The video I watched said you need to make sure you get the fuses in correctly and then the fuse tap in correctly as well to prevent blowing the circuit.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
What about the fuse itself? Is there a dedicated side that's hot? The video I watched said you need to make sure you get the fuses in correctly and then the fuse tap in correctly as well to prevent blowing the circuit.
You certainly need to get the fuse tap in the correct way. But the fuse itself does not have a positive and negative side.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You certainly need to get the fuse tap in the correct way. But the fuse itself does not have a positive and negative side.
Ok the video I watched he showed both fueses had the load side on one side and the draw on the other. It's confusing to me so I keep holding off on doing the install now.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I assume my dash cam and radar detector both pull 5v? Does that matter as well?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
And I assume my dash cam and radar detector both pull 5v? Does that matter as well?
I assume you mean 5A (amps). Cars have 12V systems, not 5V. You can't plug a 5V device into a 12V system.

You need to check the specs on your devices to find out how many volts and amps are required.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume you mean 5A (amps). Cars have 12V systems, not 5V. You can't plug a 5V device into a 12V system.

You need to check the specs on your devices to find out how many volts and amps are required.

Yeah 5A my bad.

And then as long as the two fuses in the tap add up to larger than that I'm
Ok?

Like some in the car are 10A I was going to maybe tap into the door lock fuse for the DashCam and an ignition fuse for the radar detector.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah 5A my bad.

And then as long as the two fuses in the tap add up to larger than that I'm
Ok?

Like some in the car are 10A I was going to maybe tap into the door lock fuse for the DashCam and an ignition fuse for the radar detector.
No. One fuse is the original fuse supplying power to the original circuit. Put that in the bottom row (according to how he is holding it in the video.) The second fuse is for your tap. So, if you need 10A, then the second fuse should be 10A. But the tap itself should tell you what the max Amperage is. Don't put in a fuse larger than what it is rated for.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is from the Blackvue page on my DashCam. All of it is in V.

So how do I know what fuse I need to put in that slot? Will a 5a fuse do?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuse Size IMG_0733.PNG

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So this is from the Blackvue page on my DashCam. All of it is in V.

So how do I know what fuse I need to put in that slot? Will a 5a fuse do?

IMG_0733.PNG
Under Input Power, it says MAX 1A (It split on two lines, so it was difficult to see). I'm sure a 5A fuse will be fine.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha for some reason I assumed you had to match power consumption to the fuse, now I get it.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Gotcha for some reason I assumed you had to match power consumption to the fuse, now I get it.
The fuse is to protect the wiring, so it doesn't overheat and cause a fire. So, you never want to put a bigger fuse than the wire can handle. But it's okay to use a smaller fuse. Of course, you don't want to consume more power than the wire and fuse can handle either.
Sponsored