OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX HS, 2015 Jetta Trendline+
Country flag
Do you happen to have the oem part number you bought? I would like to dig into this and see about getting it to work on a MT.
There are basically 4 obstacles, already stated above:

1) Are the factory harness plugs the same between AT and MT.

2) Find a voltage signal only used by the remote start during startup for a clutch bypass relay.

3) Adding a switch that closes when in neutral, to take the place of the AT park sensor. (Yes you could bypass this, but personally this is pretty dumb. First time your wife or friend forgets....bam)

4) Getting the dealer to program your key on said MT car:rolleyes:

Easily do-able..but most likely not worth the work. But, like I said I would like to look into it. I have had plenty aftermarket remote starts on MT cars with no problems. But, from what I read awhile back the Honda keyless entry doesn't play nice with them.
Here is the listing, part numbers in descripton..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

First of all, kudos for going MT. I was a big fan, but wanted Honda Sensing for which AT was mandatory.

I would say the harness is the same because the shifter is not connected from what I could tell to the harness. This car is sold world wide, where they might sell it with remote start and MT. I really don't think it would be dangerous, I mean there are many interlocks involved in starting anyway. The parking brake is electric, as such it could be easily activated remotely if needed.. I would say no dealer would touch this with a million mile pole, I know I wouldn't, if it was not designed for it.

Such an awesome feature. I love getting in a warm car.
Sponsored

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want to add OEM remote start to a manual wouldn't it necessary to get new to be with the remote start button?

If so, Fortin makes a setup that uses factory remote, can be used on a manual trans, works with push button start, is customizable (with promamming dongle) and is plug and play. This is the route I will be going once I have little more available cash. I have their remote starter installed on 2 of my families vehicles.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want to add OEM remote start to a manual wouldn't it necessary to get new to be with the remote start button?

If so, Fortin makes a setup that uses factory remote, can be used on a manual trans, works with push button start, is customizable (with promamming dongle) and is plug and play. This is the route I will be going once I have little more available cash. I have their remote starter installed on 2 of my families vehicles.
Not sure what you mean. I don't have push button start if that is what you mean. I have a feeling that installing the OEM remote starter basically adds the push button start feature, minus the button and some kind of electric steering wheel lock gizmo. I am thinking of getting a leather interior next, (amazing what is available) something a bit different this time.

Good luck which ever way you go, hope you keep enjoying your ride...

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
I think you are asking if you would need a new keyfob with the OEM? Yes, you would.
The Fortin is a great option for most people. I personally would not be ok with the current take over process with push to start vehicles. When you get in to leave the car kills itself and then you have to restart to go...plus they all seem to bypass the immobilizer which I am not a big fan of.

@BestCarEver , from your post it appears you have a push to start vehicle? I ask because the part numbers are for a LX trim level. How is the take over process when you get in to drive away? Engine die when you hit the brake? Or does it stay running and you just push the start button to take control? Or do you have a key to start the car?

Last edited:

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you are asking if you would need a new keyfob with the OEM? Yes, you would.
The Fortin is a great option for most people. I personally would not be ok with the current take over process with push to start vehicles. When you get in to leave the car kills itself and then you have to restart to go...plus they all seem to bypass the immobilizer which I am not a big fan of.
I do agree with you that it sucks, however I would prefer something versus no remote start. My black car is HOT in the summer, and I would love a warm car in the winter. Fortin is plug and play, which means easy install (no wire splicing) and removable if need be.

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got back from the dealer. They programmed the remote, attempted to program after market key for free. I asked about shop fees up front, I mentioned there are NO materials involved, when I went to pay they dropped the fee. All told, $87 to program, with a very quick interior vacuum and car wash.

I love seeing the dash light up all by itself. Hope it is cold tomorrow so I can enjoy it... So far so good!
So my wife tries to open the trunk, and nothing, none of the buttons work, car cannot be started with the key. I was doing some surfing, trying to figure out how much of the "push start" feature is common with the remote module I just installed. Turns out the module physically looks the same on last gen Accords, and the service bulletin mentioned that all keys must be present. So it got sorted out no hassles what so ever, but take all your keys and fobs.

Grommet45

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you happen to have the oem part number you bought? I would like to dig into this and see about getting it to work on a MT.
There are basically 4 obstacles, already stated above:

1) Are the factory harness plugs the same between AT and MT.

2) Find a voltage signal only used by the remote start during startup for a clutch bypass relay.

3) Adding a switch that closes when in neutral, to take the place of the AT park sensor. (Yes you could bypass this, but personally this is pretty dumb. First time your wife or friend forgets....bam)

4) Getting the dealer to program your key on said MT car:rolleyes:

Easily do-able..but most likely not worth the work. But, like I said I would like to look into it. I have had plenty aftermarket remote starts on MT cars with no problems. But, from what I read awhile back the Honda keyless entry doesn't play nice with them.
The type r can read what gear its in, the 2020 can at least, I had a 2020 si and it dident have this feature. I think that's the key for the remote starter to work, a factory remote starter anyway I dont see how an aftermarket one could use this needed information. Its definitely something I'm gonna do when I have the fucking breathalyzer removed from mine!

elvisnaite

First Name
Elvisnaite
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2.0 2017 (South America Model)
Country flag
Bought the OEM remote starter on eBay. Genuine Honda parts from a Honda dealership, no issues $285 with shipping.

So here is the journey for those who wish to travel down this path. I downloaded the instructions by typing in the OEM part number into google, checked compatibility, got 2017 guide for 2016, close enough.

Read instructions over and over until I realized it is simply inserting an extra harness into the existing harness using male/female connector pairs to "splice" into existing branches.

I installed the antenna last, because I did not know the length of cable needed, and it would have been totally in the way.

The plastics come off like a dirty shirt, Honda has made this thing to be quick to put together, but nicely and well thought out. I used to work on 90s VWs and forget about it.

There are two harnesses, one for the heavy power stuff and the module, and a smaller one for the steering column connections. No idea why it needs to be there for the windshield wiper/washer stalk, but hey, you gotta love it. The small harness connects to the big one.

The module connects via a bracket up the steering column, way UP there with a 10mm nut. You have to plug in the large harness module connector before attaching bracket, as the bracket captures the connector.

The module gets attached first, then undo the fuse box, unplug, plug in male harness, plug male original into female harness connector. There is your heavy lifting right there, plug in, wire tie, glue on foam tape...

Release head liner, stuff wire under, glue antenna to windshield, route through, plug in...

Reconnect battery, everything is fuckered, car does not want to start, so out of desperation I crank needlessly until the electronics make friends. Car starts, stereo is angry wants to connect to GPS, seeking its father who orbits in heaven. Errors for lane departure, collision mitigation, brakes, everything is reporting failed.

Expensive dealer trip is now imminent, but wait. Infotainment, goes to home screen, car reports "Systems initializing, drive carefully" so I drive around the block, and all is well. Emotionally drained, I wire tie, put back plastic, go grab a hot cup of tea. Now I try the fob, lock and unlock work, panic works, engine start, no go. Press engine button, then lock on remote comes up NOREG. Yey... So for those who dare to install, I've just finished, will get it registered ASAP, so far so good. I will try to get some keys programmed if they are reasonable as well...
this method working on LX?
Bought the OEM remote starter on eBay. Genuine Honda parts from a Honda dealership, no issues $285 with shipping.

So here is the journey for those who wish to travel down this path. I downloaded the instructions by typing in the OEM part number into google, checked compatibility, got 2017 guide for 2016, close enough.

Read instructions over and over until I realized it is simply inserting an extra harness into the existing harness using male/female connector pairs to "splice" into existing branches.

I installed the antenna last, because I did not know the length of cable needed, and it would have been totally in the way.

The plastics come off like a dirty shirt, Honda has made this thing to be quick to put together, but nicely and well thought out. I used to work on 90s VWs and forget about it.

There are two harnesses, one for the heavy power stuff and the module, and a smaller one for the steering column connections. No idea why it needs to be there for the windshield wiper/washer stalk, but hey, you gotta love it. The small harness connects to the big one.

The module connects via a bracket up the steering column, way UP there with a 10mm nut. You have to plug in the large harness module connector before attaching bracket, as the bracket captures the connector.

The module gets attached first, then undo the fuse box, unplug, plug in male harness, plug male original into female harness connector. There is your heavy lifting right there, plug in, wire tie, glue on foam tape...

Release head liner, stuff wire under, glue antenna to windshield, route through, plug in...

Reconnect battery, everything is fuckered, car does not want to start, so out of desperation I crank needlessly until the electronics make friends. Car starts, stereo is angry wants to connect to GPS, seeking its father who orbits in heaven. Errors for lane departure, collision mitigation, brakes, everything is reporting failed.

Expensive dealer trip is now imminent, but wait. Infotainment, goes to home screen, car reports "Systems initializing, drive carefully" so I drive around the block, and all is well. Emotionally drained, I wire tie, put back plastic, go grab a hot cup of tea. Now I try the fob, lock and unlock work, panic works, engine start, no go. Press engine button, then lock on remote comes up NOREG. Yey... So for those who dare to install, I've just finished, will get it registered ASAP, so far so good. I will try to get some keys programmed if they are reasonable as well...
Does this method work on LX?
Sponsored