Req: [solved] Run wire from Engine Fuse Box

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
Short description of my project:
I'm wiring an auxillary light to 2 switches and a momentary switch.
One toggle switch is gonna be connected to the high beam fuse (on - HB with bar. Off - HB without bar). To this I need to tap power from one of the high beam fuses to connect to the relay. Issue is, I'd rather keep it as reversible as possible so I'd rather not destroy anything. Especially not the fuse box.

So my thought was to make a tiny slit that just barely fits the wire through but I have concerns about waterproofing... I'd rather run the wire through an existing hole but I couldn't feel/see any. And I don't have any clue how to remove the fuse box, or if I even should.

What should I do? What's the best choice forward? Is it just to make a tiny slit in the fuse box assembly so the lid still seals but onto the cable instead? Splicing into factory wiring is NOT an option.

Thanks in advance.

So this is solved, I'll just have to bite the bullet and make a hole as small as humanly possible. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
They make tap fuses that plug into the existing fuse socket. Everything is left stock in the fusebox. And it gives you a tap to trigger your relay.

OP
OP

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
They make tap fuses that plug into the existing fuse socket. Everything is left stock in the fusebox. And it gives you a tap to trigger your relay.
Yeah I know. I was planning on using one. The issue is running the wire from the fuse tap out of the fuse box to the relay, without destroying something.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Yeah I know. I was planning on using one. The issue is running the wire from the fuse tap out of the fuse box to the relay, without destroying something.
Guess I'd pull the fuse box and route the wires though the bottom of the box.
If I went to that trouble though.
I'd probably tap into the fuse wire you want under the box, on it's way to the fuse.

OP
OP

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
Guess I'd pull the fuse box and route the wires though the bottom of the box.
If I went to that trouble though.
I'd probably tap into the fuse wire you want under the box, on it's way to the fuse.
Yeah, I figured I'd have to remove the fuse box to be able to run the wire. Was hoping there was an easier way. Tapping into any wires isn't an option, sadly. That's way too destructive. A tiny hole I'm fine with, but cutting up factory wiring isn't anything I want to do. To the extent possible, I'm aiming for as non-destructive of an install as possible. For switches/buttons I'm using a little plastic box stuck to the underside of the dash, for example.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My first thought was drill a small hole and seal both sides of the wire with hot glue. Water resistant and reversible. Just fill the hole with epoxy when you want to permanently seal it back up.

OP
OP

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
My first thought was drill a small hole and seal both sides of the wire with hot glue. Water resistant and reversible. Just fill the hole with epoxy when you want to permanently seal it back up.
Yeah pretty much my thought as well. Was fishing for any secret hideyholes, but there just might not be any. I guess I'll have to buy some black hot glue, then. Thanks for the help, Hobby-man and Jeffers!
Sponsored