First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pony cars are good looking, but they aren't good in the corners. Yesterday's AutoCross was a good example, my bone stock EX-T was running as fast as the Miatas, and I'm a noob. In the cool temps the much more expensive Ponys couldn't keep it together in the sweepers and were running 3-5 seconds slower. Lots of then had grippy tires and various mod packages.

Then I got 52mpg driving home.

I don't know if the Mustang has Honda's hill start and break hold features, but I think they would make a daily commute much easier with a manual.
And you didn't come up to say Hi? The wife and I was driving the GT3.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
Here's my thought. MPG? There is no EPA rating for this car yet so we don't know what the mpg numbers are. It will probably be somewhere in the low-mid 20's. But maybe we can use 2 of my cars for instance as an example. Here is my comparison with my very own RWD and FWD. Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport RWD 6MT (wife's daily driver). Get's driven about 4 miles a day and averages 16-18 mpg (has a 20 gallon capacity tank). This car is always thirsty and love's gas stations (Yes premium only). 2007 Civic SI coupe (my daily driver). Get's driven about 78-80 miles per day and averages 28-29 mpg (summer time gets 30 mpg). On nice twisty roads, I like my civic better (all stock suspension and Michelin Pilot Sport A/s3+). COmpared to the Infiniti (equipped with Swift Springs and Continental ExtremeContact DWS06), the cornering feel on the civic is more direct and stable. I'm sure the R's cornering ability is more superb than that. On a straight highway/interstate, the Infiniti is by far better. Better comfort and ride quality (almost zero wind noise inside cabin). Has better seats with lumbar support. Can't go wrong with the 3.7 engine with dual intakes, it will pull all the way to 160mph (at this speed I still did not hit the governor or fuel cut) with no questions (Nissan's VVEL has a nice sound on it too). 5 door hatchback, can't go wrong with that. 1 giant cargo space with a full trunk that opens in the back is a big plus. My civic is a coupe, it is not easy especially when I load passengers in the back. There are times where I have 5 people in the car. More doors is a must (at least for me). The R will only come in a Touring Trim level, that mean's it's a fully loaded unit from the factory. Kick@$$ stereo sound system, Brembo brakes, LED exterior lighting, you name it. For ME I am interested in buying an R simply because my daily driver civic SI is now at 197k miles (zero fluid leaks). Honda's reliability is up there just like Toyota but considering the amount of miles I have on mine, its now time to have an extra car (just to be safe). I Never followed the oil life (maintenance minder), I change my oil exactly every 3,000 miles (and rotate tires). This is why my seals and gaskets never leaked. And also I don't know how long this K20 engine gonna last before needing a head gasket. So far I had zero issues ever since I bought it other than regular wear and tear maintenance items (clutch replaced at 170k). My wife can drive a stick very well, so I'm not worried about excessive clutch wear for when I get an R :rolleyes:

CJ :cool:

that's what wrong with the infiniti. the continental dws06's. great tire for all kinds of tractions, except corners... and lots of fast lane changing. my god, i wish i could return these tires. they were great until i hit one of my favorite corners. thought i was driving a boat all of a sudden. pirelli p zero's or going back to pilot sports a/s 3's.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
If you're miserable in city driving with your GT, I honestly can't say that with the CTR it'd be better. Remember, the CTR has stiffer suspension and a 20" wheels STOCK - meaning city driving will bring out the weakness in your CTR. Expect a very rough drive and a low MPG as well (I estimate 25MPG-ish). Because on city on my Touring I average 27mpg and that's babying the damn thing.

Honestly I feel that Sport Touring is a much better fit for you. Get the Sport Touring and get the reflash.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And you didn't come up to say Hi? The wife and I was driving the GT3.
Well I feel stupid.:oops: For some reason I was looking for a red Porsche and didn't connect your grey one. I even took a picture of your car with your support vehicle!

I was Corner Captain on turn 4, and we were in opposite heats.

BTW, that GT's sound was terrific, like a heard of pissed off German horses. Lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Mustang GT to Type R IMG_8759.JPG

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I feel stupid.:oops: For some reason I was looking for a red Porsche and didn't connect your grey one. I even took a picture of your car with your support vehicle!

I was Corner Captain on turn 4, and we were in opposite heats.

BTW, that GT's sound was terrific, like a heard of pissed off German horses. Lol

IMG_8759.JPG
You have to close your ears, if you are near it during launch. As we were running street tires instead of Hoosiers. Too cold and the wouldnt be heated up until the lunch break.
I was corner Captain of Turn 2.
If you haven't seen it, I posted a video link in the AutoX forum.
(sorry to deviate from topic)

Nemesis724

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Touring, 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport 6MT, 2007 Honda Civic Si 6MT, 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (Sold), 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (RIP)
that's what wrong with the infiniti. the continental dws06's. great tire for all kinds of tractions, except corners... and lots of fast lane changing. my god, i wish i could return these tires. they were great until i hit one of my favorite corners. thought i was driving a boat all of a sudden. pirelli p zero's or going back to pilot sports a/s 3's.
Pukemon I totally agree with you. The Continental Extremecontact DSW06 is a good all year around all season tire until you hit one of your favorite curves/corners. They seemed to be "spongy" on corners and lack that cornering stability feel. I used to have them on my Civic Si before I got the Michelin Pilot A/S3+. I gotta say what a difference of night and day when it comes to cornering between the two tires. Anyway My Infiniti will need tires before next winter and I am stuck between Toyo Proxes 4 Plus or Michelin Pilot A/S3+ (Great experience with these tires on my Civic Si). No experience with the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires yet so I am a little bit skeptical.

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Burgundy Night Pearl
Country flag
I've been recently considering (maybe) trading in my 2017 Mustang GT with the performance package to the Type R. This is completely speculative on my part, as my Mustang GT is only half a year old and I value my future marriage with my fiancée (she said my Mustang would be the last 'fun' car(PSYCH)).

Here are some of my upcoming faults/thoughts:

-I city drive a lot, and the Mustang is a bit of a pain. Not even from a gas stand point, but how long/wide it is. It's a bit of a pain.
-MPG sucks. That's obvious. I knew that much going into the vehicle. I average about 22mpg. I'm curious if the Type R would beat it.
-Fun factor!? The Mustang GT is fun. It's a bit boaty in turns, and isn't loaded by any means (the interior is relatively bare). I'm wondering if the Civic would up it in fun factor, while also bringing on additions that might make the value better!?
-It has four doors, my Mustang only has two.

So, if you guys were in my position (and finances aren't really an issue) what would you consider. I've been going back and forth. I haven't really decided, and probably won't decide until driving one and reading reviews.

Share your thoughts!
So, I can only comment on my 2017 EX-T here... but if you're going from a Mustang GT to the Civic, you're more than likely going to lose the fun factor that you had with the Mustang. It's not to say that the Civic is a bad car per se, but I traded my 2014 Mustang V6 6-spd with performance package for a turbocharged Civic with a 6-spd and there is no comparison. Even with the turbo, the Civic just can't make up for all that lost horsepower and torque. I hardly ever touched 1st gear in the Mustang, being that I had plenty of torque to start out in 2nd almost exclusively. Again, this is for the EX-T and not the type R, so the difference in the type R may be significant. (Although the type R is claiming 306hp vs the Mustang GT at 435hp, so maybe the comparison isn't that far off?)

That said, I like having 2 more doors, and I appreciate how quiet the cabin is in the Civic. The ride is cushier in the Civic, but steering performance feels just as sporty to me, which is nice. If I had to do it differently and money wasn't a factor, I probably would have bought a European sedan instead.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
Pukemon I totally agree with you. The Continental Extremecontact DSW06 is a good all year around all season tire until you hit one of your favorite curves/corners. They seemed to be "spongy" on corners and lack that cornering stability feel. I used to have them on my Civic Si before I got the Michelin Pilot A/S3+. I gotta say what a difference of night and day when it comes to cornering between the two tires. Anyway My Infiniti will need tires before next winter and I am stuck between Toyo Proxes 4 Plus or Michelin Pilot A/S3+ (Great experience with these tires on my Civic Si). No experience with the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires yet so I am a little bit skeptical.
You should probably look at the comparable pirelli's on tire rack. Reviews are very favorable. Pirelli's are always a good choice for grip but not usually quiet. After I bought my DWS06's I looked deeper at the pirelli reviews. Seemed to be favorable even to Michelin pilot sport a/s 3's, even in comfort and noise. And a hair more grip. Cheaper than the continental and Michelin's also. I fear I might be getting a golf GTI SE or GTI Autobahn soon. Didn't know that little 2.0L 4 banger had 258tq stock. And for $600 you can be pushing ~316hp and 385tq with a flash or chip. Not sure yet as I haven't dug deep into it, but still pretty dang good for a 4 cylinder and no hardware.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I wouldn't say the CTR is pointless if you don't track. There are many folks like myself who don't track, but do go on spirited canyon drives on the weekends who would absolutely enjoy it. The CTR is perfect for me to be honest. Comfort mode for commute and 2 modes to play with on the weekend. My .02
I don't disagree, but first it is illegal to push beyond a certain limit on public roads. If you drive in any sort of sane manner you are understating severely in what the type R can do.

Second I don't doubt your driving skills, but for most drivers you will not be able to extract nearly the full potential of the car. I know we all like to think we are Mario Andretti.

I personally think this is why Miata is so popular, you can push the car to its limits and still be able to enjoy it. I know this is not a popular opinion but I have seen way too many performance cars used as grocery getters.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I don't disagree, but first it is illegal to push beyond a certain limit on public roads. If you drive in any sort of sane manner you are understating severely in what the type R can do.

Second I don't doubt your driving skills, but for most drivers you will not be able to extract nearly the full potential of the car. I know we all like to think we are Mario Andretti.

I personally think this is why Miata is so popular, you can push the car to its limits and still be able to enjoy it. I know this is not a popular opinion but I have seen way too many performance cars used as grocery getters.
Same can be said about supercars. If Ferrari only sold their cars to the track orientated buyers, they might as well file for bankruptcy. Different strokes for different folks.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag

Very valid points. But it still would not make the CTR pointless to buy if you aren't going to track it. Additionally, spirited driving does not necessarily equate to pushing cars to their limit going at speeds that would be deemed illegal. I frequently drive through the Sierra Nevada which consists of a lot of uphill/downhill and fun turns while going at a speed that meets the speed limit. I would most definitely say I'll be taking advantage of what the CTR have to offer without having to take it to a track.

And like ayau said, "differnt strokes for different folks.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Very valid points. But it still would not make the CTR pointless to buy if you aren't going to track it. Additionally, spirited driving does not necessarily equate to pushing cars to their limit going at speeds that would be deemed illegal. I frequently drive through the Sierra Nevada which consists of a lot of uphill/downhill and fun turns while going at a speed that meets the speed limit. I would most definitely say I'll be taking advantage of what the CTR have to offer without having to take it to a track.

And like ayau said, "differnt strokes for different folks.
I see you have a BRZ. I had one when they first came out. Will you be trading the BRZ for the CTR?

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Same can be said about supercars. If Ferrari only sold their cars to the track orientated buyers, they might as well file for bankruptcy. Different strokes for different folks.
Ferrari is a whole different beast altogether. Most people buy them for prestige reasons, and their marketing says so as well. These are exotics. Most people buy a LV purse to use them to show wealth, not because they use it to carry groceries.
Sponsored