Mustang GT to Type R

warrendeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R 'Hellbat'
I've been recently considering (maybe) trading in my 2017 Mustang GT with the performance package to the Type R. This is completely speculative on my part, as my Mustang GT is only half a year old and I value my future marriage with my fiancée (she said my Mustang would be the last 'fun' car(PSYCH)).

Here are some of my upcoming faults/thoughts:

-I city drive a lot, and the Mustang is a bit of a pain. Not even from a gas stand point, but how long/wide it is. It's a bit of a pain.
-MPG sucks. That's obvious. I knew that much going into the vehicle. I average about 22mpg. I'm curious if the Type R would beat it.
-Fun factor!? The Mustang GT is fun. It's a bit boaty in turns, and isn't loaded by any means (the interior is relatively bare). I'm wondering if the Civic would up it in fun factor, while also bringing on additions that might make the value better!?
-It has four doors, my Mustang only has two.

So, if you guys were in my position (and finances aren't really an issue) what would you consider. I've been going back and forth. I haven't really decided, and probably won't decide until driving one and reading reviews.

Share your thoughts!
Sponsored

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
I have testet det FK2 and the funfactor is high! My issues with the FK2 is basically fixed in this new model (bad mediacenter, high seating postion, etc).
So I think the funfactor will be even better on the 10th generation CTR. And if you think it's to stiff, they also have a "comfort" mode.
I'm so convinced that I have already signed the contract without trying it :)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'm 'reasonably' sure I've heard this kind of discussion in my household as well, except instead of Mustang GT it was Civic 2 door...

Are you guys in a position to keep your Mustang to get a family-friendly car in the future? At that point, what would you slide into?
If you're thinking to marry, have kids shortly, keep the cars you have before marriage - get the CTR. It has 4 doors. It can hold strollers/car seats/play pens or whatever. She won't be able to argue 'it's too non-family' because it's got 4 doors, and honestly, what else with 4 doors does a SIGNIFICANTLY better job at hauling a family? The one drawback could be if you're incredibly anal about parking the car, keeping food out, etc...it can be pretty hard to live with. (Speaking from personal experience. Kids don't eat in my Si!!!) You can go see a hatch at most Honda lots right now and feel for yourself how the space and cargo area will work for you and future you.

Fuel economy won't jump much from what I guess. I mix-drive my Si and rarely get over 23 anymore although the highway driving tends to be 75+ with frequent WOT.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been recently considering (maybe) trading in my 2017 Mustang GT with the performance package to the Type R. This is completely speculative on my part, as my Mustang GT is only half a year old and I value my future marriage with my fiancée (she said my Mustang would be the last 'fun' car(PSYCH)).

Here are some of my upcoming faults/thoughts:

-I city drive a lot, and the Mustang is a bit of a pain. Not even from a gas stand point, but how long/wide it is. It's a bit of a pain.
-MPG sucks. That's obvious. I knew that much going into the vehicle. I average about 22mpg. I'm curious if the Type R would beat it.
-Fun factor!? The Mustang GT is fun. It's a bit boaty in turns, and isn't loaded by any means (the interior is relatively bare). I'm wondering if the Civic would up it in fun factor, while also bringing on additions that might make the value better!?
-It has four doors, my Mustang only has two.

So, if you guys were in my position (and finances aren't really an issue) what would you consider. I've been going back and forth. I haven't really decided, and probably won't decide until driving one and reading reviews.

Share your thoughts!
The CAR can be more readily tossed around, I would think easier to drive as it isn't as prone to oversteer, especially during the wet season. I would figure if you could keep your foot out of it, you could get around 30 or 32 mpg in the R. Running at higher RPM's is addictive, hearing it wail as you row throuh the gears. So, bad news is, you might be loving the sound of the Big V8 coyote engine barking too.
I really love the relatively reliability of Honda's also.

Last edited:

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Your Mustange GT doesn't have a comfort mode does it?

That's all you need to tell the wifey...

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Okay the Mustang is a lusty beast. I have always hated Mustangs, they were always pug ugly horribly styled, cheaply put together, and usually underperforming lumbering beasts driven by the type of people I don't want to be associated with. That has changed with the current model. The sheet metal is pure art and they are a beauty to behold and have the performance to back it up even in the corners now. And as a father of six I can tell you that it took until my third kid to get me out of a coupe. I will even contend that it is easier to deal with small children in a coupe than a sedan. No extra doors to open for them, no worries about child safety locks, no headroom problems until they are older, and usually a larger trunk to store their strollers. That said you cannot really use the performance of a Mustang in town. You don't have the visibility, agility, and runway room to extract but a fraction of that potential. In traffic you probably feel like you are sitting on the deck of an aircraft carrier taxiing in an F16. In the Type R you can rip around and use a lot of those capabilities having an absolute hoot without worrying about going sideways into a power pole. On anything but a dragstrip or race coarse the Civic will be much more fun.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If you don't track Type-R is pointless, not to mention the huge financial hit you will take on the trade in or just giving it up in general. Type-R is slower in quarter mile and the suspension is stiffer. Also you will probably not be able to find one that is not x dollars over msrp.

Just giving an honest opinion.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
If you don't track Type-R is pointless, not to mention the huge financial hit you will take on the trade in or just giving it up in general. Type-R is slower in quarter mile and the suspension is stiffer. Also you will probably not be able to find one that is not x dollars over msrp.

Just giving an honest opinion.
I wouldn't say the CTR is pointless if you don't track. There are many folks like myself who don't track, but do go on spirited canyon drives on the weekends who would absolutely enjoy it. The CTR is perfect for me to be honest. Comfort mode for commute and 2 modes to play with on the weekend. My .02

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I wouldn't say the CTR is pointless if you don't track. There are many folks like myself who don't track, but do go on spirited canyon drives on the weekends who would absolutely enjoy it. The CTR is perfect for me to be honest. Comfort mode for commute and 2 modes to play with on the weekend. My .02
I would add that Type R is a car that excels in sharper handling, being more agile, more stable, having better tuned suspension(stiffer of course) thus being more fun to drive around a twisted road. It's different than American cars: big, raw power, comfortable somehow but not very cornering capable. It depends what you like.
I prefer the first, going fast in straight line is boring for me. I have the Autobahn nearby usually go 80mph but never going faster than 100mph. Too much risk for nothing here.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
I would add that Type R is a car that excels in sharper handling, being more agile, more stable, having better tuned suspension(stiffer of course) thus being more fun to drive around a twisted road. It's different than American cars: big, raw power, comfortable somehow but not very cornering capable. It depends what you like.
I prefer the first, going fast in straight line is boring for me. I have the Autobahn nearby usually go 80mph but never going faster than 100mph. Too much risk for nothing here.
That's why I'm going to have kickass fun in Norway :D We don't have straight roads!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mustang GT to Type R 706294

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
That's why I'm going to have kickass fun in Norway :D We don't have straight roads!
The one in the pic resembles to Furka Pass in Switzerland.
Did few similar passes in Switzerland last year: Furka(where Sean Connery James Bond was shot), Susten, Jaun. Amazing landscapes. But dangerous to drive: narrow sections and no escape spaces.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
The one in the pic resembles to Furka Pass in Switzerland.
Did few similar passes in Switzerland last year: Furka(where Sean Connery James Bond was shot), Susten, Jaun. Amazing landscapes. But dangerous to drive: narrow sections and no escape spaces.
Yeah, guess there are a lot og same roads there. The road on this picture is called "trollstigen", "trolls path" translated directly. This is one of the few nice things in Norway that is for free... twisted roads. Just take a detour from the mainroads and you can knock yourself out. :)

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been recently considering (maybe) trading in my 2017 Mustang GT with the performance package to the Type R. This is completely speculative on my part, as my Mustang GT is only half a year old and I value my future marriage with my fiancée (she said my Mustang would be the last 'fun' car(PSYCH))....
Share your thoughts!
Can you & your fiancee drive stick?
If so, either the Si sedan or CTR could work for you - if you can take the financial hit.
Mileage should be much better low 30's for CTR upper 30's for Si.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I wish I had the S2000 when I visited Romania's Transfăgărășan, as it is the "best [driving] road in the world", according to Jeremy Clarkson. :thumbsup:

"From above, it looks like every great corner from every great racetrack in the world has been knitted together to create one unbroken grey ribbon of automotive perfection."

Honda Civic 10th gen Mustang GT to Type R 706294

Honda Civic 10th gen Mustang GT to Type R 11170292_10153264979523766_3081192422155104027_o

Honda Civic 10th gen Mustang GT to Type R 11170292_10153264979523766_3081192422155104027_o

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Personally. The newest Mustang GT chassis is the perfect GT chassis. It out brakes, accelerates, and handles better than anything else in it's SCCA class ranking. A few mods can make that car transformed into a handling beast. I've driven a 2016 on the dragon and borrowed one for two weeks just to daily. Loved every second of the torque and comfort for a daily. Yes... comfort.

Personally the advantages of the Civic would be exclusivity, larger trunk space, and four doors. Nothing to do with performance when compared against the GT. I'm not sure how your resale value is down there but the GT is practically worthless driving it off the dealership lot here due to total local numbers. Billions upon billions of Mustang GTs flood our roads in Michigan.

Still doesn't knock the performance you get for value... they are top notch and the best for it's price.
Sponsored