17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Can't get the Type R? ...get an S3 instead. See ya! :bump:
What do they have in them? Had opportunity to enter the highway with another one. Pulled to about 80. He may have been walking me or not. Hard to say. Prettt even maybe?
Or he was toying with me. Haha
Sponsored

Nemesis724

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Touring, 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport 6MT, 2007 Honda Civic Si 6MT, 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (Sold), 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (RIP)
Here's my thought. MPG? There is no EPA rating for this car yet so we don't know what the mpg numbers are. It will probably be somewhere in the low-mid 20's. But maybe we can use 2 of my cars for instance as an example. Here is my comparison with my very own RWD and FWD. Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport RWD 6MT (wife's daily driver). Get's driven about 4 miles a day and averages 16-18 mpg (has a 20 gallon capacity tank). This car is always thirsty and love's gas stations (Yes premium only). 2007 Civic SI coupe (my daily driver). Get's driven about 78-80 miles per day and averages 28-29 mpg (summer time gets 30 mpg). On nice twisty roads, I like my civic better (all stock suspension and Michelin Pilot Sport A/s3+). COmpared to the Infiniti (equipped with Swift Springs and Continental ExtremeContact DWS06), the cornering feel on the civic is more direct and stable. I'm sure the R's cornering ability is more superb than that. On a straight highway/interstate, the Infiniti is by far better. Better comfort and ride quality (almost zero wind noise inside cabin). Has better seats with lumbar support. Can't go wrong with the 3.7 engine with dual intakes, it will pull all the way to 160mph (at this speed I still did not hit the governor or fuel cut) with no questions (Nissan's VVEL has a nice sound on it too). 5 door hatchback, can't go wrong with that. 1 giant cargo space with a full trunk that opens in the back is a big plus. My civic is a coupe, it is not easy especially when I load passengers in the back. There are times where I have 5 people in the car. More doors is a must (at least for me). The R will only come in a Touring Trim level, that mean's it's a fully loaded unit from the factory. Kick@$$ stereo sound system, Brembo brakes, LED exterior lighting, you name it. For ME I am interested in buying an R simply because my daily driver civic SI is now at 197k miles (zero fluid leaks). Honda's reliability is up there just like Toyota but considering the amount of miles I have on mine, its now time to have an extra car (just to be safe). I Never followed the oil life (maintenance minder), I change my oil exactly every 3,000 miles (and rotate tires). This is why my seals and gaskets never leaked. And also I don't know how long this K20 engine gonna last before needing a head gasket. So far I had zero issues ever since I bought it other than regular wear and tear maintenance items (clutch replaced at 170k). My wife can drive a stick very well, so I'm not worried about excessive clutch wear for when I get an R :rolleyes:

CJ :cool:

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I wish I had the S2000 when I visited Romania's Transfăgărășan, as it is the "best [driving] road in the world", according to Jeremy Clarkson. :thumbsup:

"From above, it looks like every great corner from every great racetrack in the world has been knitted together to create one unbroken grey ribbon of automotive perfection."

Great road to do, esp with a capable car. It's open less than 6 months a year due to weather conditions up there. You also have the Transalpina that goes even at higher altitudes.
It's a shame I never been there although I'm Romanian.

http://romaniatraveldestinations.com/the-transalpina-road-in-romania/

OP
OP
warrendeath

warrendeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R 'Hellbat'
Everyone has provided some great responses. I definitely keep going back and forth. I've even considered just refinancing the Mustang, and keeping it longer. I'm completely undecided. I do love the car, even though it's a bit 'boaty' in turns. The power is pretty great, but you don't necessarily feel it until about 4200 RPM. That, and like I said, the gas isn't great.

Seems like city driving really brings out some of the issues I have with it. Overall, build and everything has been fine. I can't ever seem to keep it clean it. Really depends on what Honda plans on doing with the CTR. How reviews go, and if they plan on raping the MSRP with dealer mark ups (I'm sure they will).

SF1s2r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Discovery Sport, FK8R
Keep and enjoy the Mustang until your wife is 9 months pregnant. Then get the Civic type R for the extra practicality.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2.0L 4cyl. Turbo
292/280
0-60 4.6s
AWD

Now the new RS3, forget it haha. No comparison.
Ok, so from a roll, and he with 1 passenger and me by myself with under half tank of gas, explains why it might look like I'm kinda keeping up sorta.

Of course, he may not have even been trying for all I know...

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Everyone has provided some great responses. I definitely keep going back and forth. I've even considered just refinancing the Mustang, and keeping it longer. I'm completely undecided. I do love the car, even though it's a bit 'boaty' in turns. The power is pretty great, but you don't necessarily feel it until about 4200 RPM. That, and like I said, the gas isn't great.

Seems like city driving really brings out some of the issues I have with it. Overall, build and everything has been fine. I can't ever seem to keep it clean it. Really depends on what Honda plans on doing with the CTR. How reviews go, and if they plan on raping the MSRP with dealer mark ups (I'm sure they will).
Sounds like you need these for you Mustang to fix the issues you have with it.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...led-fastback-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/MFR3AM8/
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-power-pack-upgrade-stage-1-gt-2015-2017/p/M9603M8/

The CTR is going to be in HIGH demand with low production numbers. The chances of you finding one at MSRP are going to be very low. If I were in your situation, I'd keep the Mustang for the simple fact you're going to take a hit on it.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With your Si? Yeah, he was probably not all the way down
Yep in the Si. I do dyno 215 on 93...still too cold to run ethanol, but I'm thinking about making the switch on Monday. It's a free 12hp with lower fuel cost per mile!

OP
OP
warrendeath

warrendeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R 'Hellbat'
Really appreciate all the consistent responses. I'll wait to see what Honda does. Hopefully they do a few right things with the CTR and make the decisions easier (or more difficult!?)

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
I wouldn't say the CTR is pointless if you don't track. There are many folks like myself who don't track, but do go on spirited canyon drives on the weekends who would absolutely enjoy it. The CTR is perfect for me to be honest. Comfort mode for commute and 2 modes to play with on the weekend. My .02
Since when is track a verb, I must be getting old. Just never heard it like that.

Tracking (military speak)

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I think it can be used any way you like...

Welcome to the new Millenium

Hooah!

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pony cars are good looking, but they aren't good in the corners. Yesterday's AutoCross was a good example, my bone stock EX-T was running as fast as the Miatas, and I'm a noob. In the cool temps the much more expensive Ponys couldn't keep it together in the sweepers and were running 3-5 seconds slower. Lots of then had grippy tires and various mod packages.

Then I got 52mpg driving home.

I don't know if the Mustang has Honda's hill start and break hold features, but I think they would make a daily commute much easier with a manual.
Sponsored