More Civic Type R Variants Are Coming!

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Anyone who has the Honda Civic Chief Engineer on speed dial, please leave him a voicemail and say a lot of CTR enthusiasts want their good old mechanical handbrake back in the new variants.

And maybe the volume knob too?
Volume knob is a possibility as the new CR-V got it back. Handbrake? Yeah. I think those are gone forever unfortunately.

More power? AWD? I know those things will definitely satisfy some of the haters. I for one will gladly keep my FWD version... (once I can actually get one!) or maybe it will also give me an excuse to get more than one! Have the whole family rocking CTRs! ;)

stlnative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Anyone who has the Honda Civic Chief Engineer on speed dial, please leave him a voicemail and say a lot of CTR enthusiasts want their good old mechanical handbrake back in the new variants.

And maybe the volume knob too?
I don't use the touch screen volume adjuster it is so confusing lmao I just use the one on the steering wheel

The_Fenix_2.0

Brett Bynes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
Country flag
This also means the FK8 won't be exclusive as people might think.

I sort of feel bad for people who paid ADM, but I also sort of don't.
Yeesssss!!! That means I can wait until I can afford one rather than blowing everything I have, just to own one of the first few.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
“We’re hoping that by gradually putting out more [variants] that we’ll be able to maintain a more stable sales volume,” Hideki Matsumoto, chief engineer for the Civic model range, told Automotive News through an interpreter at a media event here this month.

Hideki Matsumoto, chief engineer for the Civic, has informed the media that Honda has more Civic Type R variants in the works!

This includes a more hardcore version of the Type R with more horsepower. A more toned-down "grand touring" type model and AWD versions are also possible.

Very exciting news! :beer:
It's praiseworthy for Honda to give the public a direct quote upon the release of the CTR letting consumers know that this will not be a limited run, limited production variant. This looks like Honda's way of telling us..."You don't have to pay ridiculous amounts over MSRP to get a CTR". Since American Honda has no direct control over the dealer network, this is the best they can do.

What I can't quite figure out is why a number of folks aren't listening!

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
It's praiseworthy for Honda to give the public a direct quote upon the release of the CTR letting consumers know that this will not be a limited run, limited production variant. This looks like Honda's way of telling us..."You don't have to pay ridiculous amounts over MSRP to get a CTR". Since American Honda has no direct control over the dealer network, this is the best they can do.

Honda does have control, they could tell dealers if they get reports of ADM pricing they will not accept any preference requests from that dealership and they will receive no more Type R's.

Honda controls the inventory, if they dealer doesn't want to play ball, they get shit inventory and it impacts their wallet.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I know this is blasphemy to the hardcore enthusiasts, but I'd like to see an R version mated to a DCT or DSG. Perhaps Honda could use the DCT from the TLX? Keep the price around $36,000.00ish, tight performance, relatively small car, paddle shifters, not a nightmare in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, and could be used as a DD with track time every so often. I know Honda has never had a Si or R as an automatic or automatic shifted manual, but if the quote is to be believed, maybe it's a potential new market for Honda?

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag

Dealers...always looking out for the customer *giant eye roll*

Yes, this car is a luxury and not a necessity, and people should do what they want with their money. However, you can be pro capitalism and realize there are limits to price gouging. Just because you can charge more doesn't mean you should. This is not an anti-profit rant but rather more corporate responsibility. A quick look in the news past or present (EpiPen & Heather Bresch for example) will give you insight into how shitty people can be to one another when profits are placed above all else.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Honda does have control, they could tell dealers if they get reports of ADM pricing they will not accept any preference requests from that dealership and they will receive no more Type R's.

Honda controls the inventory, if they dealer doesn't want to play ball, they get shit inventory and it impacts their wallet.
It's a two way street. Honda doesn't want to hurt their relationship with the dealer either. Honda needs the dealers to sell their cars, and the dealer needs Honda to get the inventory.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
It's a two way street. Honda doesn't want to hurt their relationship with the dealer either. Honda needs the dealers to sell their cars, and the dealer needs Honda to get the inventory.
The thing is, it's a 1 to many relationship, 1 Honda, many dealerships, Honda could force the hand of a few dealerships with "punishments" without hurting their bottom line. However the dealerships would be much more impacted than Honda would.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Dealers...always looking out for the customer *giant eye roll*

Yes, this car is a luxury and not a necessity, and people should do what they want with their money. However, you can be pro capitalism and realize there are limits to price gouging. Just because you can charge more doesn't mean you should. This is not an anti-profit rant but rather more corporate responsibility. A quick look in the news past or present (EpiPen & Heather Bresch for example) will give you insight into how shitty people can be to one another when profits are placed above all else.
Honda will make enough to maximize their profits. As long as there's demand for these cars, then Honda will make more. Right now, there's an artificial demand for them, so it's a little muddy. Just like buyers who aren't willing to pay ADM, Honda is going to be waiting to determine the true demand of these cars.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The thing is, it's a 1 to many relationship, 1 Honda, many dealerships, Honda could force the hand of a few dealerships with "punishments" without hurting their bottom line. However the dealerships would be much more impacted than Honda would.
It starts to get a little grey as far as what's legal and not. Honda's approach and probably the safest, is to just wait it out. The market will automatically adjust given enough time.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
If they do anything other than make it more hardcore I will be disappointed.

The R should be raw.

To everyone that wants a toned down version, I would say ... ask for a Si-R, not a neutered Type-R
This was exactly what the US has been brought to expect from the Type-R. More power, less options, less comforts, less weight.

The ITR was like that. it even had less sound-deadening. I'm surprised the new R has a nice sound system and things. I'd rather they left just 4 speakers, made it which ever body is lightest/stffer, take out some of the sound deadening, and made it as "hard core" as R used to be in the 00's.

I'm 35 and single. I'd still easily drive that all day long.
Sponsored