OP
OP

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have the 2017 Touring sedan. One of my rear shocks was blown as well and was replaced under warranty thankfully. Warranty just expired so now I'm in the danger zone haha.

Was that quote for $1400 at a dealership service dept? How hard could it be to swap out this headlight assembly for a technician?

$1000 for the part ordered from Honda through a dealer and a little bit of patience might do the trick.I looked at the parts fiche and it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of bolts and clips holding the headlight assembly in place. There's probably videos showing how to get it out.
I dont get how shocks can go so early my mechanic never seen it hardly before

quote was 1350 from my mechanic honda was 1400 roughly but honda wanted 120 bucks just to diagnose it luckily some young guy at honda took a quick look without opening it all up for nothing, idk something like this should be covered. I called 4 other honda dealerships didnt budge on the 60,000km warranty lol

my mechanic is great no appointment come by looks at it takes light out no charge, he looked at best price for part which was same 1,000 i never service my car at honda you get hosed.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was curious how much adjustable dampers were for this as my Z's all had them. I think they were about $300/each, which is pretty comparable to other shocks I've bought that isn't the GM Magna-whateverthehell shocks that I've never priced out, and not including the air shocks for ride leveling like on a Caddy that Monroe makes cheapies for.

Replacing rear shocks in a passenger car is very easy. I've done it several times. Agreed, adjustable dampers are expensive compared to non-adjustables. I did a thread awhile ago when I did my mother in law's Galant last year and put KYBs all around, including doing the front which were struts. Big flick... it was a $1800 quote to do all 4 and I did it for $200-300... including replacing all mounts. If you want to save money, rear shocks are very, very easy to do.

You have a touring so I'd expect they'd be less... never checked the price though.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/random-story-about-struts.20717/

OP
OP

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I wish I could do that handy stuff haha , update on The blinker this morning it actually worked driving for an hour you can guess why freezing cold -17 this morning froze up the condensation water inside afternoon it didn’t work again water inside again the cold air from outside and the heat of the engine does this not sure why so I assuming in the summer would have no problems anyone else think this should be done for free by Honda

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If your headlight seal failed and caused your signal to stop working, I'd expect them to cover it. That much moisture inside a headlight is unacceptable and should be covered by warranty in my opinion.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
No it’s only in Canada 3 years or 60,000km
Almost all new cars in Australia get 5 years with unlimited kilometres. Honda does this here in Australia plus you get 5 years of road side assistance included.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks for sharing this with us. I have the Touring and sometimes fear how ridiculously expensive it will be to replace one of these if it gets crippled. Well, thanks to you I now know to watch out for the seals letting water in. I live in Sask. and am going to inspect the headlights to see that this doesn't happen.
I don’t have a Touring but have come to realize that Honda dealers are pricing things through the roof. If you priced everything on the car purchased a la carte, the total would likely be over 100-150,000. Hand it to the reliability perhaps which makes it harder for the poor dealer to MAKE MONEY

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Honda needs to make some changes with there LED manufacturer and Shocks. My 2016 Accord Touring LED's has gone out and adaptive shocks. Good thing for Honda care. Warranty pretty much paid for its self.

OP
OP

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda needs to make some changes with there LED manufacturer and Shocks. My 2016 Accord Touring LED's has gone out and adaptive shocks. Good thing for Honda care. Warranty pretty much paid for its self.
What how did you get it covered ? You get the extra ?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I wish I could do that handy stuff haha , update on The blinker this morning it actually worked driving for an hour you can guess why freezing cold -17 this morning froze up the condensation water inside afternoon it didn’t work again water inside again the cold air from outside and the heat of the engine does this not sure why so I assuming in the summer would have no problems anyone else think this should be done for free by Honda
Tennis, I think you may be out of luck.

The dealers are hard on this. If you're past the 60k mark by over a mile they'll say no. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if the reps at a service department told you the turn signals are wear and tear items and thus the whole headlight assembly needs to be displaced. Whatever they can do to get an extra dollar from you they will. They need to pay for all those lights and heating for the showroom.

Tbh, I'd just get a new headlight assembly. If you bought a new one the part itself should have a warranty on it no? Honda Genuine Parts come with a warranty from what google says. And do installation at home.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
What how did you get it covered ? You get the extra ?
Got the Honda Care extended warranty. ** Make sure it's not 3rd party if you do get extended warranties.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I would open a case directly through Honda. They intend for the headlight assembly to last a reasonably long time. So if it failed under 100K, and could be easily tied to a factory defect, your chances of getting covered are actually quite good.

I wouldn't engage a dealer until you first opened a case through Honda customer support. They'll direct you from there. GL.

OP
OP

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I would open a case directly through Honda. They intend for the headlight assembly to last a reasonably long time. So if it failed under 100K, and could be easily tied to a factory defect, your chances of getting covered are actually quite good.

I wouldn't engage a dealer until you first opened a case through Honda customer support. They'll direct you from there. GL.
I am going to do that but I called Honda customer relations they said I have to get a diagnostic directly through Honda not
My own mechanic.
Basically I have to pay 120 to get it looked at lol even though I know what it is for them to further do it through Honda Canada customer relations and than go from there ..
Sponsored