Leaving car sitting for long period

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Ive had my new 17 Civic for about a month now but i haven’t driven it for over three weeks due to being out of the country on business.

Will my car be ok by the time I get back? I’ll be away for another three weeks. I’ve had guys telling me these new cars have no issues with prolong inactivity and it’ll be just fine when I get back. I’ve also asked around if I should have disconnected the battery and was warned not to because of all the electronics and security attached to these new cars. Luckily I didn’t. But what do you guys think?
Sponsored

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Another few weeks to a month will be fine, my brother has multiple cars and lets them sit for months on end. only thing he ever had issue with was battery died after the car sat for over a year. At that point you also want to change the oil. But in your case don't need to really do anything.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Wow over a year! I definitely won’t be letting it sit that long but that’s good reassurance though, how your brother went through something similar and everything was fine.

But if the car isn’t driven that much and is still way under the miles required for oil change, is it really necessary to have the oil changed out still? I’m thinking the oil will still be fine since it’s only got 500 miles worth of use.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem, my battery was perfectly fine after being parked for 5 weeks this summer.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
Oil will be fine. My civic (400mi) and the vette will sit in the garage all winter. I just put a battery tender on them to keep the battery healthy and fill em up with top tier premium fuel.

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I guess it will be fine. I left mine sitting out in Minnesota winter for a couple of months (Dec, Jan) and it was completely fine when I came back. No problems, not even battery drain. The only thing I did was to fill up gas and add stabiliser (STA-BIL) to it before I left.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Only thing that bugs me with leaving my car undriven for a long period of time is the brake rotors seizing with the e-brake engaged for a long period if time. But nothing that a small drive wont fix.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
That’s great news. Seems like the general consensus is pretty positive. Peace of mind. Thanks again guys

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yeah, there's no issue. You might have a problem with the battery dying if you don't have a tender on it but that's about it.

I drive my S2000 like once every 6-7 months or something like that and i have zero issues every time i go to start it. It sits on a battery tender in the garage usually.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow over a year! I definitely won’t be letting it sit that long but that’s good reassurance though, how your brother went through something similar and everything was fine.

But if the car isn’t driven that much and is still way under the miles required for oil change, is it really necessary to have the oil changed out still? I’m thinking the oil will still be fine since it’s only got 500 miles worth of use.
Oil needs to be changed every 12 months regardless of the milage and oil life % on the maintenance minder. Otherwise, wait for the maintenance minder to tell you to change the oil.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oil needs to be changed every 12 months regardless of the milage and oil life % on the maintenance minder. Otherwise, wait for the maintenance minder to tell you to change the oil.
In Europe 2 years, in China 6 months, in America 1 year . Different Marketing strategies for sure....
Sponsored