Beeps when leaving the car?

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm having the same super annoying issue with the multiple beeps and the lock on walk away feature. It was ever once in a while, then it got much worse, maybe a third of the time. Now it got better and rarely does it. I think they need to fix this also, and will never stop complaining about it. I really like the feature, and figure it will help me make sure the car is locked. But with the multiple beeps - it won't lock the car.

The safety features are also a pain. The lane assist feature jiggles the steering wheel all the time, I had to turn that off, useless. The auto braking feature ultimately turned out to be worse than useless, and a danger. The car will slam on it's brakes for little reason. I noticed on a curve it thinks I'm about to run head on onto other cars, but while they are directly in front of me, if we both stay in our lane, everything is going to be fine (it's a curve!). One time it slammed on the brakes when there was a dead skunk in the road, and I was going over it (between the tires).
Sponsored

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same super annoying issue with the multiple beeps and the lock on walk away feature. It was ever once in a while, then it got much worse, maybe a third of the time. Now it got better and rarely does it. I think they need to fix this also, and will never stop complaining about it. I really like the feature, and figure it will help me make sure the car is locked. But with the multiple beeps - it won't lock the car.

The safety features are also a pain. The lane assist feature jiggles the steering wheel all the time, I had to turn that off, useless. The auto braking feature ultimately turned out to be worse than useless, and a danger. The car will slam on it's brakes for little reason. I noticed on a curve it thinks I'm about to run head on onto other cars, but while they are directly in front of me, if we both stay in our lane, everything is going to be fine (it's a curve!). One time it slammed on the brakes when there was a dead skunk in the road, and I was going over it (between the tires).
Never had mine slam on the brakes, maybe you need to get this checked by the dealership?

Laurene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
My dealer looked surprised when I described what was happening with the multiple beeps for no apparent reason. He said he hadn't heard that one yet. It doesn't seem to have any pattern, rhyme, or reason. It does it arbitrarily when there isn't any particular cause. I've gotten used to it and when it happens I walk back and manually lock the door by pressing the button on the handle. I agree, it seems to work correctly most of the time but this is a quirk and should at least be recognized as such.

swapnilshah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring CBP
I'm so glad this post was made! My Touring has been doing this for a couple of months and when I took the car into the dealership, the dealer tried to convince me it was beeping a lot because "it was locking". I told him I understood the difference between it locking and the panic beeping but no solution really came. I think overall, the problem is that it is sometimes not able to lock for whatever reason, so until Honda comes with a solution, we will have to manually lock it ourselves.

cslaughter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5 EX-T
My Civic has the same beep problem. 1 key fab seems to cause the trouble more so than the other. I have also noticed that the problem happens more when in a garage, or enclosed area.

The car also has trunk and hood alignment issues. I am wondering if the beep problem and the hood/trunk problems arises from the same plant.

What do your VINs start with?
2HG… VIN is final assembled in Alliston, Ontario, CN
19X… VIN is final assembled in Greensburg, IN, US
(According to here: http://www.civicx.com/threads/any-issues-so-far-fit-finish-panel-alignment-etc.883/page-3)

Mine is 2HG

(Just got the Computer updated today to fix the 50-100 continuous variable in rpms when driving, hood realigned, (need the trunk done), today)

Last edited:

buggzy

2017 civic hatchback sport with cvt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic ex-l and 2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know I turned on the "walk away lock" feature on mine, as that was a feature I really wanted. When it works (no more than 1/2 of the time) I get two beeps. One to tell me it's activated, and another to tell me it's locked (once I've left a 6 foot range of the car). Half the time, though, it gives the rapid succession of beeps similar to what I think you are describing (even though, in theory I've done everything correctly to prevent this reaction).

According to the manual(p 129):

After the auto lock function has been activated, the auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for approximately two seconds in the following cases.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the vehicle through a window.
• You are located too close to the vehicle.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the trunk.
If the warning beeper sounds, check that you are carrying the smart entry remote. Then, open/close a door and confirm the auto lock activation beeper sounds once.

To me, this feature is useless half the time. The car seems to mis-figure the situation and assumes that remote has been thrown back in (it hasn't) or I am located too close to the vehicle (I've usually left the 6' range when this happens), or I've thrown the remote in the trunk. In these cases, the car does not lock unless you manually lock it with the remote or go back and open and close a door. The whole purpose of this feature is to not have to fiddle around for you remote when leaving the car, but just as often as not, I have to. Very cumbersome when I am going in to work with all 4 of my hands full (hyperbole intentional, but it makes the point).

have it checked, mine has worked 100% perfectly everytime

wooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I had my civic for two weeks now.
Started using walk away lock since day one with no problem.
Worked every time so far even inside my garage.
No problem with my honda sensing neither.
I went over dead animals and went through curves with traffic coming from the other side, but my civic did not slam on the brakes.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I had my civic for two weeks now.
Started using walk away lock since day one with no problem.
Worked every time so far even inside my garage.
No problem with my honda sensing neither.
I went over dead animals and went through curves with traffic coming from the other side, but my civic did not slam on the brakes.
I'll have to get mine in to have them look at this stuff. I turned off the braking part, and left on the warning. Just yesterday is beeped 4-5 times, and was saying "BRAKE" on the display. Right as a car was approaching on the two lane road, same thing, both of us in our lanes, no problem. I'm pretty sure it would have hit the brakes if I'd had that part on. I don't know if anyone else's does it, but as I pull in the garage most of the time it says "BRAKE" too. I'm 4 ft from the end of the garage going 3 miles an hour. The walk away lock thing has been working much better the last couple weeks.

wooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I'll have to get mine in to have them look at this stuff. I turned off the braking part, and left on the warning. Just yesterday is beeped 4-5 times, and was saying "BRAKE" on the display. Right as a car was approaching on the two lane road, same thing, both of us in our lanes, no problem. I'm pretty sure it would have hit the brakes if I'd had that part on. I don't know if anyone else's does it, but as I pull in the garage most of the time it says "BRAKE" too. I'm 4 ft from the end of the garage going 3 miles an hour. The walk away lock thing has been working much better the last couple weeks.
The very first day that I brought my civic home, it did brake for me in my garage. I never had a car with sensor before so it surprised me. When I got out of the car, I realized that it stopped perfectly in the middle of the garage. Since then, it has only done it once more, but I don't mind it if it want to stop for me. There is a setting for this brake feature. If I remember correctly, you can set it long, medium, or short. I don't know what it means though. Does long mean it will detect it at further distance? You should mess around with this setting or ask at the dealer which setting you should be on. I think I have mine at long but I did not notice anything different from medium(I think that was default).

fvaleirao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Subaru Forester
Country flag
My car did the several beeps for the first time today, in two opportunities.

Up until now it worked flawlessly for two weeks.

I managed to make it not beep rapidly and close accordingly by turning off the fog lights.

If it happens again I will try to rule out it has to do with the fog lights.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
I have an EX and it started doing this to me almost two weeks ago and sometimes it won't lock -_-. I love this feature cause it makes me feel like a magician (hehe), but I'm almost at the point where I'm going to turn it off.

HonoluluBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
I've also noticed the multiple beeps when the car doesn't want to auto lock. It seems to happen more often when I leave the driver's door, re-enter the car in the back seat or truck and then walk away.

Works flawlessly if you just turn off the car, get out and walk away.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
In our case, the failures I've seen were all associated with driver (me) or wife (also with a fob in her purse) being very close to the doors when closing them. Apparently this makes the car think there might be a fob in the car. If we are both at arms length when closing the last door, it seems to work perfectly every time.

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm also wondering if the failure here is the fob being in the same pocket as my phone. I'm thinking maybe the phone is blocking the signal from the fob, and the car doesn't see it. I think if the car doesn't see it outside of the car, it wonders where it is, or if it's maybe in the car or something (thus signals the error). So I'm being very careful to notice where my phone is (I don't always put it in the same pocket) when the issue happens. If I can get it to stop, by stop putting my phone in the same pocket - that's an easy solution. It's only done it a couple times since I thought about the phone interference issue, and both times my phone was over the top of it in my pocket. So I'm not 100% sure this is the issue, but I think I'm onto something. Hopefully this may help you guys too.

HonoluluBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also wondering if the failure here is the fob being in the same pocket as my phone. I'm thinking maybe the phone is blocking the signal from the fob, and the car doesn't see it. I think if the car doesn't see it outside of the car, it wonders where it is, or if it's maybe in the car or something (thus signals the error). So I'm being very careful to notice where my phone is (I don't always put it in the same pocket) when the issue happens. If I can get it to stop, by stop putting my phone in the same pocket - that's an easy solution. It's only done it a couple times since I thought about the phone interference issue, and both times my phone was over the top of it in my pocket. So I'm not 100% sure this is the issue, but I think I'm onto something. Hopefully this may help you guys too.
I don't think it's the phone interfering with the fob... I always use a secure-a-key on my belt and phone is also in a holster on the other side of my belt. If you've never used one before, check it out. Never put keys in your pockets again! I started using them about 10 years ago and now can't live without one!
Sponsored