Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
That's all I could take. I'm back in an '18 Murano.

The Si is still a great value. It has no competition for what it's designed to be.

However, the bumpers and rocker panels that are yellow instead of white, trim pieces on the back broken and unable to reattach, the grill broken like many others here, the insane rattles everywhere inside the car, the horrible fabric on the door and armrest. I just couldn't handle it. It was the rattles that drove me off. There was one between the sunroof and the windshield that was very loud. It even rattled when the windshield wipers would wipe. Every bass beat. Every bump. Several rpm ranges from the engine. It was infuriating.

The turbo lag ruined twisty roads for me. I also did not like the terrible tach. It's too small. You can't see what it's reading if your eyes are really focused on the road. I really miss the two-tier setup with a standard tach right there in your face.

I loved my coupe styling. I loved the seats. I loved the shifter. I loved the fuel economy. I just couldn't handle the rest of the package. Honda has the worst fit and finish in their cars of any I've owned. It started with an '09 Accord coupe, three Civic Si coupes, a '17 Accord coupe, and then this '18 Si coupe. They all have had crazy fit and finish problems that even my Mustangs and F150s didn't have.

Anyway, when you get ready to get another car, keep in mind that there are some great cars out there. Hondas have great resale, but they're just not built like they used to be.

Signing off...

-Rob
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds like you got a lemon. No issues with mine quality wise. No rattles, discoloration or broken trim.

The tach is huge btw

The Si is still a great value. It has no competition for what it's designed to be.

However, the bumpers and rocker panels that are yellow instead of white, trim pieces on the back broken and unable to reattach, the grill broken like many others here, the insane rattles everywhere inside the car, the horrible fabric on the door and armrest. I just couldn't handle it. It was the rattles that drove me off. There was one between the sunroof and the windshield that was very loud. It even rattled when the windshield wipers would wipe. Every bass beat. Every bump. Several rpm ranges from the engine. It was infuriating.

The turbo lag ruined twisty roads for me. I also did not like the terrible tach. It's too small. You can't see what it's reading if your eyes are really focused on the road. I really miss the two-tier setup with a standard tach right there in your face.

I loved my coupe styling. I loved the seats. I loved the shifter. I loved the fuel economy. I just couldn't handle the rest of the package. Honda has the worst fit and finish in their cars of any I've owned. It started with an '09 Accord coupe, three Civic Si coupes, a '17 Accord coupe, and then this '18 Si coupe. They all have had crazy fit and finish problems that even my Mustangs and F150s didn't have.

Anyway, when you get ready to get another car, keep in mind that there are some great cars out there. Hondas have great resale, but they're just not built like they used to be.

Signing off...

-Rob

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag

Signing off...

-Rob
sorry to hear that 13k on mine with 19/23 ktuner tune ,fx350 clutch, ethanol kit, catless downpipe, muffler delete, CAI, turbocharge pipe since 2000miles and no rattle and quick fix to yes terrible fabric is ebay buy the leather like covers. Sorry buddy for you bad experience but I love my car and people love the 2step when the exhaust pops.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a lemon to me too. I’ve had my Si sedan for almost 15 months with no rattle issues. Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday and yours was built on a Monday or an Friday. I’m guessing you inquired if the peeves you had were warranty covered. I wouldn’t lump all Civic’s or Honda’s in the bad fit and finish category. I’m quite happy with mine. Sure some things could be higher quality. But the solid thump you get when you close the doors or trunk is a more solid feel than much higher priced cars to me.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
A Murano is not even close to what Si is. You don't jump between the two unless you bought the wrong car to begin with.

Sounds like a lemon mixed with some regret. Some of these issues you point out should have been very apparent before you signed on the dotted line like mismatched paint. Bitching about turbo lag? What turbo lag? It's a joke to talk about turbo lag in these engines when the old NA Vtec engines needed to revved above 4k to hit peak HP and torque.

If you want to talk about fit and finish, how about the interior door panels and trim falling off my friend's Mustang after 3 years. That's bad fit and finish.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I can somewhat agreed with the build quality . It does rattles quite a bit in my ctr. Compare to other cars that are way older our cars more rattles even when brand new. But for a Honda you pay for the engine and get the rest of the car for free. Can't blame .

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn you had some bad luck... the only "issue" I got with mine is the front bumper losing its alignment on the driver side I guess thats common... other than that no rattles or anything.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
I like mine but it does rattle like crazy...but I’m coming from Toyota so I’m used to actual quality.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
if the tach were any bigger it would be the whole dash...

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I'm coming from the Lexus scene, so I can feel your pain. Nothing a little sound deadening can't fix tho IMO so far...that'll be for me when the audio project comes along. Still waiting to grab a 2019 Si first...

Vr6chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2001 VW GTI VR6
Country flag
Mine rattles pretty bad too. Fit and finish is definitely the absolute low point of this car.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I have to agree on the fit and finish issues. Is something I've noticed that my previous Honda did not, let alone my Mazda.

I also noticed the poor quality fabrics on the center console and armrests. Fortunately the leather option is an easy fix.

The rattles are a hit and miss. The dash rattle is common. But the others seem like one-offs. I've come to expect them with any car under 25K - including VW. Some are lucky and get none. Others have one pop up every week.

I still think this car is one of the best values for the price. The seating position, shifter, ergonomics, and handling overshadow all of the above-mentioned gripes buy a huge margin, IMHO.

Fun insight: The OP's gripes would have made him ill-suited for the CTR as well. ;)

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I have a 1.5L Touring not the Si, but I can't imagine it's much different. Mine has been through 2 bat shit cold Saskatchewan winters, bashed foot high snow front and back, and has worked like a dream this summer. There is a vaguely audible rattle on acceleration but it's absent otherwise. You'd think cycling the car between -40 degrees celsius and above freezing would coarsen the fitment refinement, but like I said, all trim is still in place and solid .... save for that one rattle I can't figure.:D

Friend's Touring also has been through the same winters, also does not rattle, in fact it's perfect inside.

I don't make much of trim pieces shifting BTW. It happens. I don't expect Lexus quality interior fitment on a Civic. But it can happen on any car. Leather trim strip on my X5 came off after one winter. Metal covering of shifter on BMW 7 series came loose after 30k kms. It happens.:D

I'm inclined to say bad luck of the draw in OP's case.

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
That's a real bummer. Keep in my mind, the first years of every new car model, will have fit and finish issues. Early adopters like us, are beta testers, lol.
Sponsored