Is modding your car a precursor to getting something else?

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
For those that have tuned their cars does that mean that eventually you’re probably close to getting something else once you hit the peak of what you want to accomplish with it? I bought a 2020 si and now want a bit more out of it as far as power. Is it worth it to continue or should I look at something else. I want something light ie under 3000lbs. But may want more power maybe higher revs. The si is a great handler but I’m not sure if putting a ton of money into it is worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think that totally depends on the driver. I mean, I bought an econobox. Now that it's tuned, I'm plenty happy with the better power and driveability. Other people may have higher goals in mind.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Not necessarily......but if the mods end up making it an unreliable headache, I guess that makes it a precursor to dumping it for something else.

I tastefully modded my GTI with the intention of keeping it for 8+ years, like my previous car. It quickly became an unreliable headache and, thus, the Type R prematurely took its place.

I would never buy I car I don't like, so modding to me is just making something I like better versus chasing a fantasy with something that bores me from the start.

ugaexploder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I think it depends entirely on what’s important to you. I have a ‘17 F82 M4 but needed something for my 100 mile round trio commute so I purchased the SI. I like the idea of modding the SI since it will probably still be way more reliable, fuel efficient than the bimmer. I have both but certainly don’t plan on selling both to get something crazy fast. The M4 is quick but 90% of the time that much power is unnecessary for me, and unusable. Really enjoying the SI.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
No, definitely not. You mod to get the car to be more of yours if anything.

To make it to your liking and personality. You don’t normally drop $3-4k on mods to part out and lose money.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Stop worrying about what other people do with their cars. I mean that in the most unrude way possible. There is so many reasons people get rid of their cars. Only you know how your life might change, and whether it may change in a way that impacts your ability to keep the car. That being said the car is very capable as a track car, very capable as a drag car, and quite good looking if you're going for a show build. If you like it enough, build it man, take your time get the quality parts you envision, and unless your loaded you should have many years of modding and perfecting your build ahead of you.

OP
OP

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
Thanks everyone for the input. This is third car and was bought as a toy. Does anyone have a few good starter threads to look at as far as the ‘right’ way to mod a si. I’ve been here awhile but looking through the site is seems to be a mixed bag and I seem to come out of it more confused than where I began. Any recommendations of a few threads to start? I’ve never modded car before and I have some of the basics like after a tune I will need a new clutch etc. I’ve read that I may need new rods to start etc. I’m not expecting to go crazy on the power increase but would like to know maybe the best resources to chase about 60 hp/tq gains.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the input. This is third car and was bought as a toy. Does anyone have a few good starter threads to look at as far as the ‘right’ way to mod a si. I’ve been here awhile but looking through the site is seems to be a mixed bag and I seem to come out of it more confused than where I began. Any recommendations of a few threads to start? I’ve never modded car before and I have some of the basics like after a tune I will need a new clutch etc. I’ve read that I may need new rods to start etc. I’m not expecting to go crazy on the power increase but would like to know maybe the best resources to chase about 60 hp/tq gains.
You shouldn't need new rods until you want to push over 300hp. Clutch will be a must very soon.

In no particular order: a tune, better tires, lighter wheels, acuity shifter upgrades, lowering springs, rear sway bar, intake, exhaust, downpipe/frontpipe combo. That should keep you busy for a while.

I lied. Tune first. Bang for buck, best upgrade.

Check out Unity-Performance.com for lots of good civic stuff.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Years ago I set myself a rule specifically to avoid the problem you describe. Whatever I buy, I spend no more than 10% of that on upgrades, or I should have bought something different. It made sense at the time because I had just wasted a bunch of money trying to make an SV650 into a sportbike and made it somewhat worse in the process.

Not going to tell anyone that they should follow this rule, but it's served me pretty well. And I bend it a bit, because anything that wears out and needs to be replaced can be replaced with something better. Brakes, shocks, tires, blown speakers, that kind of thing- might as well get the upgraded part, since I have to buy something anyway.

Basically, this is my long version of what Chaucer just posted.

Look at the Phearable stage 1.5 tune. Covers your power goals on a stock car. I've been running that for a few months and the clutch hasn't given me any problems. Get some good tires first. Drive the car for a while after that and see if you even want to mod it further- aftermarket exhaust sound can get old after a while.

So far the only other money I've spent is on the stereo, and I'm completely happy with the car.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My basic upgrade list for an even better Si:

Handling
Better tires
Upgraded rear sway bar

Power
Tuning device w/either a TSP or Phearable OTS tune
Cold air intake

Transmission
The Acuity stuff

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the bigger issue is trying to turn the car into something it isn't and burning up money in the process.
Agreed. Especially in terms of power goals. I'm a huge believer in tuning but see so many Si guys dreaming of turning their Si into a 300/300 daily, which to me is an unrealistic goal keeping reliability in mind.

The Si is about balance. Enhancing it with some "better than stock" improvements is smart. Going waaaaay overboard and making it something it's not is the opposite of smart.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Depends why you bought the car in the first place. Most people buy it because they like it as is, and mods just make it better. If you're modding to make it a different car, just buy a different car.
Sponsored